Apr 19, 2024, 12:04 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tardis Project

Started by ringodog73, Dec 25, 2012, 12:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ringodog73

Dec 25, 2012, 12:14 am Last Edit: Dec 25, 2012, 01:19 pm by Scarfwearer
After I found out people were building full size Tardises I had to have one which I being in the USA meant having to have it built.  When I started it I was using webtv which by 4 years ago was rather limited in internet access beyond email and making photos via image grabs off a VHS tape.   Not having a computor or paypal then I also couldn't get any of the Tardis toys.   Word of advice: DON'T think of building a Tardis without having and scaling up a Tardis toy!   I couldn't view Youtube at the time either.  SEE Youtube build videos and THIS site before starting a Tardis project.  I did see the Blue Box Project site and a pal printed me a Tardis workshop manual.

I could get Intergalactic Trading Post's so called Tardis blueprints though.    Well later I found out they could've been more of a help.   I had a handiman who knew carpentry.  A basic wood box was my only hope.  He used CDX plywood I think it was.   He was no Whovian but I showed him a DVD with Tardis scenes.   He said he could build it.  I had him start soon after.  

Well I had just myself to make the windows, sign boxes and painting mostly.   My handi man helped here and there but not often.  I figured out how to fake the lamp.    After 3 years and a lawn added where it stands I'm still not completely done.  

Oh the joy when I found out spiders had festooned the interior with webbs and the lower part of one side started rotting after a sprinkler had been hitting the box, slowly removing the layers of paint for a year!    Too Much Weird! 006.jpg

warmcanofcoke

Yikes! sounds like you plan on some restoration work. Sorry to hear about the Tardis, but I look forward to her repair.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

ringodog73

I wanted to say stuff about the build.  I got too anal about the color blue I'd paint it.  My box had different blues on it but the latest coat is a blue berry like blue which I didn't know it'd be.  The color in photos looks better though.  

I did a different than usual treatment at the tops of the corner posts with two or three level caps.  My windows are not seperate panes.  When I cut out the openings I left a lip that one sheet of plexi was set onto.  The cris cross things ( proper name?) were just attached to the surface.   I used clear caulk to glue them on.   I like the amber corner panes, I cut those from a florescent ceiling light diamond pattern panel.   I painted them with a mix of amber lamp spray paint and Testors gold.  I'd had real amber gold hammered glass to refer to the color.  

Well I don't know why but these corner pieces that were caulked onto the spaces started falling off after staying on for months.   I'd sanded the plexi where the cris crosses went before putting those on and they havn't come off but the corner panels, that I attached the same way, did.   I'll have to sand the plexi better and hope they stay on next time.  

As far as fixing up the ruined area of the box where a sprinkler has hit it, I don't know what to do but place a sheet of metal over that part to protect the box after it's fixed up.

ringodog73

The signs were made by a man with a home business.   The windows were back sprayed with a light grey paint.  Later I thought a medium grey would've been better.   

I tried posting another photo several times but in my folder it's too large, can't be resized unless I'm emailing it.   I don't know the URL for this thread.  I want to have a photo of my imitation lamp and my box more completed here but I guess it won't happen.

ringodog73

Most folks who've seen my box when in the back yard didn't know what it was.  They'd ask but I'd tell them if I told them they still wouldn't know.   I usually just say it's a replica of a British tv sci fi item.   One wanted to know more so I said it was supposed to be a space ship in disquise to look like a 1950's police box, etc.  He gave me a funny look.   Most americans never heard of Mr. Punch either.  I have a set of those puppets.

galacticprobe

Dec 28, 2012, 10:24 pm #5 Last Edit: Dec 28, 2012, 10:24 pm by galacticprobe
Ringodog73, welcome to the Forum if I haven't said it already (old brain cells). Aside from that sprinkler it sounds like your TARDIS made a visit to Metebelis III without your knowing about it! (Ick - serious arachnophobia here!) Like Nate I look forward to your Old Girl's restoration.

And check out our http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=101. You'd be surprised at just how many of us there are in the US. (As the saying goes: "You Are Not Alone.") You can update your profile with your location so you also show up on the Map (city and state is all, no house numbers so you won't be invaded ;)). Which State are you in? I'm in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ringodog73

galacticprobe, I'm in Santa Barbara County in Calif.  Seventy miles North from SB actually.  Many long time residents of my town call it a hole.   I'd think the closest full size Tardises to me are in LA and San Francisco areas.

ringodog73

I should say that when my box was made I didn't know they were usually made a set up, take down, pack flat kind of thing.  Then again my handy man was a contractor and wouldn't have built mine that way.  He'd make it permanent and rugged.  After I showed him youtube builds, etc long after he'd built mine he told me he thought the typical way was cheesy and a box like that would never withstand strong winds and whatever.

My Tardis is attached to the concrete that it was built on top of.   My late Dad had a ham radio antenna there before.   If other people ever get my house it'll take some effort removing the box unless they use it to store stuff.