Mar 28, 2024, 08:22 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Pale Green Console and Set

Started by tony farrell, Dec 07, 2012, 06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

The fault locator already is (only in one image was it in what I called "console green").

2012-12-14-4-FaultLocatorAndWalls-ALLsylvan_green.jpeg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

I knew it was me mis-reading your post! Maybe when Marc gets some time we could see his "Power of the Thwee Gweens" (with console and computer towers) from angles similar to these pictures?

TARDISInterior1.jpg2012-11-27-1-FaultLocator-Top_View.jpg

At this stage all I can add is that I'll leave you all to judge the results for yourselves - you know what I think!  ;D

A huge thank you to everyone for their help and contributions.

Tony

tony farrell

I came across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=piZcyp1vWRE#t=9se

Not an entirely accurate render of the Tardis Control Room, but its interesting that they've chosen to use a pale green tint.

Tony

Rassilons Rod

Jan 30, 2013, 07:54 am #48 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2013, 07:55 am by rassilonsrod
The console (not controls or rotor) is actually mine :)

(although I think it was drawn over later - hence why the controls and rotor are not mine).
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Really? I hope they asked your permission!  ;D

Rassilons Rod

II knew about it. I gather those actual shots were rejected for quality reason's.
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Shame....judging by the quality of your renders, I'd love to have seen them animated (something like the one you did of Rob's light-box measurements but of the whole Tardis set) and in colour. A kind of Tardis tour!
Back on topic, I wonder if the animators based the choice of green on any documentary evidence or whether they just felt it was a pleasing combination?
Tony

rob49152

Jan 31, 2013, 05:49 am #52 Last Edit: Jan 31, 2013, 05:52 am by rob49152
its very fuzzy and lens-flair'y. What's the thing floating directly over the console? I agree they should have used yours.

but the plans I have do say to paint the floor light blue.

Rassilons Rod

Jan 31, 2013, 07:13 am #54 Last Edit: Jan 31, 2013, 07:15 am by rassilonsrod
Blue was not a uncommon thing for this. The Dalek throneroom in Evil was also blue-floored albeit darker. And also the Vulcan base corridors in Power :-)

Oh and fear not, there WILL be animations :-)
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Jan 31, 2013, 07:19 am #55 Last Edit: Jan 31, 2013, 07:20 am by rassilonsrod
Re: the animated green. I've now heard the part where Carole mentions the green in that documentary on the beginning set. Also I'm starting to see the green in the Power photos.

Perhaps they also know the precise meaning of TX40. They might also have seen us at work ;-)

I think the floaty thing is the Canopy/ Power Octagon - just badly placed.
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jan 31, 2013, 07:19 am
Re: the animated green. I've now heard the part where Carole mentions the green in that documentary on the beginning set. Also I'm starting to see the green in the Power photos.

Perhaps they also know the precise meaning of TX40. They might also have seen us at work ;-)

Hi Marc,
I take it TX40 is the colour referred to in these plans Rob posted?

door.jpg

If so, then the use of TX40 is actually only specified on the Tardis' internal door frame (the zig-zag bit) not for the front panel or roundel recesses. To my eye, the front of the walls appear to be somewhat darker than the use of a purely white paint would suggest (I've 'plumped' for the same pale green as the console and the uprights between the photographic walls).

In the Pilot Episode, we see Barbara force her way into the Tardis and momentarily we see the Police Box doors from inside the Tardis set.

myphoto (10).png

From the archive stills of the Pilot Episode, the inside of the Police Box prop is white....

myphoto (11).png

We know from this photo from Colony in Space that the zig-zag door frame is deeper than the Tardis doors....

colony katie in doors.jpg

I wonder then if the original intention was to somehow link the Tardis set with the inside of the Police Box prop (to create a kind of zig-zag shaped 'vestibule' against which the back of the Police Box doors could be attached). In that context, painting the zig-zag door frame white (like the inside of the Police Box) would help to 'sell the illusion' that the Control Room was somehow inside the Police Box.

What do we all think?

Tony

tony farrell

Quote from: rob49152 on Jan 31, 2013, 05:58 am
part.jpg

This is very interesting - not only does it show a pale blue floor but it also specifies the colour of the other floor plate which appeared in An Unearthly Child (and the start of episode two but, as far as I'm aware, not thereafter) as very pale beige. I suppose the use of a pure white would have caused too much glare for the TV cameras.

Unearthly_PDVD_098.jpgTARDISInterior1.jpg

galacticprobe

Jan 31, 2013, 06:26 pm #58 Last Edit: Jan 31, 2013, 06:27 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Jan 31, 2013, 05:48 pm
What do we all think?

I think my brain hurts! :P I will say that you are all doing a top-notch job of figuring all of this out with the limited info we've got. That colorized photo of Ian, Susan, and Barbara standing in the doorway (if it is colorized, and not an actual color publicity photo) is amazing and really gives that TARDIS interior an otherworldly feel.

And being partial to the Hartnell era I'd love to know how they made those roundels. Vac-formed, I know, but what sort of form did they use so the flat part that meets with the wall opening didn't acquire those little "dimples" from the vac-forming box? (I think those familiar with vac-forming know what I'm talking about. I don't know much about it and have never vac-formed anything.)

Battle on with the color info. I'm finding this all fascinating!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Hi Dino,

You are correct in saying the photo of the crew leaving the Tardis has been colourised (I believe by Babelcolor). I used it to purely to illustrate the position of the pale beige floor plate. Incidentally the screen grab comes from episode two of An Unearthly Child  I hope I haven't misled anyone... Apologies if I have.

I know the threads I've started have a habit of growing and 'wandering around a bit', so (to ease your hurting head) I'll summarise where I'm coming from at this point;

You've played your part in this thread by pointing out/discovering that the photo blow-up walls were divided with pale green upright strips. I've posted photos which I think show the console was the same colour as these uprights. The colour 'Sylvan green' has been suggested for the console. I have therefore suggested that the same (Silvan) green was used on both.

From all the screen grabs, we can see that the solid walls (as opposed to the photographic walls) were darker than the moulded PVc backing on the roundels (so, the walls are not pure white). Add to this, Carole Anne Ford has explicitly stated that the walls were a "very, very pale green". I have therefore suggested that the console, uprights and solid walls were all the same pale "very, very pale green"!

In order to try and 'test' this theory, Marc produced a render showing how Silvan green 'behaves' when subjected to different lighting conditions:

2012-12-14-3-FaultLocatorAndWalls-sylvan_green.jpeg

As regards Rob's latest post that the floor was a pale blue. I don't see any contradiction between this and pale green walls - the 'active window' here on Tardis Builders uses a pale blue but the background roundelled pattern has a green tint to it. These work well together so, why couldn't those same colours be used in the original Tardis set? Afterall, the original set was designed to be filmed in black and white.

Tony