Apr 26, 2024, 08:29 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Matt Smith's TARDIS Interior xmas 2012

Started by mordrogyn, Dec 08, 2012, 01:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalekoracle

Dec 19, 2012, 12:32 am #30 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012, 12:34 am by Dalekoracle
You beat me to posting it here! I'd just been reading about it on the same site (and on GallifreyBase) and was just loading it to Photobucket.  ;D
At last, proper buttons and switches, and not crazy junkyard controls.
OK, I'd have preferred roundels rather than the Hexagons, but I'm a happy bunny this evening!

MarkD

Oh, and yes, that's the genuine article. "Lovely lovely lovely!", as Jobel might say!

mordrogyn

Dec 19, 2012, 12:39 am #31 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012, 04:08 am by mordrogyn
It's definitely harkening back to the classic style console room.... doesn't look as big as the previous 2 we have seen in new who.
We kind of do have roundels too, with the blue illuminated circles.
It also appears to have a level underneath by the look of the steps behind the console.
Hoping that the BBC releases a more wide angle shot of it before it airs so we can get a proper look at the whole thing.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

Kingpin

Dec 19, 2012, 12:41 am #32 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012, 12:43 am by Kingpin
Quite reminiscent of the "never used" concept for McCoy's Series 27 console:

MikeTuckerconsole2.jpg

-and with scuttlebutt from the BBC being that this year's Christmas Special is based on a "lost" Douglas Adams story, makes you wonder if they've done a bit of digging in the vaults.

Still, a welcome return to "designed" panels on the Console (looks like some stuff from the previous console has made it through, but it's not as chaotic)... and new console-independent control panels!

Quote from: mordrogyn on Dec 19, 2012, 12:39 am
doesn't look as big as the previous 2 we have seen in new who.

The studio it's housed in is smaller than Matt's first Console Room, which was housed in the set that formerly featured the Torchwood Hub.

galacticprobe

Dec 19, 2012, 12:59 am #33 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012, 12:59 am by galacticprobe
That console panel to the left (under Matt's right arm) looks like a radar indicator I used to work on - the SPA-25G (nicknamed "Spa 25 Golf"). Even the controls around that green screen look about the same. (That's one part I would never have been able to burgle even if I knew this was coming. ;D)

Too bad Matt is standing directly in front of the console so we can't see its base. It looks like it has some glowy bits on it. (And I was just starting to get used to the "new" old one.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Elvis Gump

With the lighting under the base that Matt is blocking it looks like the rotor may go right through the console and into the floor. Hard to tell. Not one, but two "monitors" and thankfully the gramophone horn is gone. The big circular display on the console as well as what looks like some dial gauges harken back to the original console. The panel toward the wall looks like the first time the console room has had some other control panels since the Hartnell-Pertwee eras. Brilliant!

handofomega

ya know not to sound paranoid but some of the design concepts I am seeing here makes me think that the design department is raiding this site for ideas... ::)

rob49152

yay!! I do like this more than the upside-down toilet look of the 9th/10th Doctor. Or the coral junk-on-junk look. Real levers and knobs again!! I see the monitor is a green screen with motion tracking dots.

type55tardis

Quote from: mordrogyn on Dec 19, 2012, 12:28 am
Just found it on DoctorWhoTV

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/new-look-tardis-interior-unveiled-43303.htm

My faith that this is genuine is now vastly increased

Well if this is real she's starting to look more like a Tardis than a junk yard ,although i had quite got used to the recent Tardis interior,but being an Old series watcher I liked the old style console rooms,this new look,looks a bit like an upgraded Sidrat,I like it . (Much easier to copy as well perhaps Steven Moffat thought the last one was bit much for us tardis builders  :) )
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

stiki

Looks to me a lot like the "Longleat" & "Blackpool" Exhibition Consoles - complete with controls around the walls.......

darren79

Despite the lack of proper roundels (though the hexagons do make up the normal arrangement shape), I rather like it.

The shot doesn't give a proper idea as to the scale. If you just look at the left side, it looks like the wall is immediately behind the side control panel but on the right side it's clear that there are stairs around the console platform.

galacticprobe

Dec 19, 2012, 09:46 pm #40 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012, 09:58 pm by galacticprobe
Looking at that photo again, it looks like they've given the central column's casing a wider diameter; it looks to be about twice as wide as the 1-foot diameter of the TVM and New Series columns, making it more akin to that of the Classic Series'. (And it doesn't have huge wooden sides blocking half of its interior view!) I'm curious to see what its movement will be like.

The console itself does have a bit of that "Burning Man Console" metallic look to its framing. (I wonder if the designer pulled some inspiration from that one.) Then again, so does Rob's console render... and from what we can see of the way its controls are laid out also makes me think of Rob's ???. (Now I'm starting to feel like handofomega...)
Quote from: handofomega on Dec 19, 2012, 02:29 am
ya know not to sound paranoid but some of the design concepts I am seeing here makes me think that the design department is raiding this site for ideas... ::)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rob49152

Dec 19, 2012, 10:02 pm #41 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012, 10:07 pm by rob49152
I was thinking that there might be a short walkway or bridge from the main doors to the console area. I like the idea of coming in through the doors and right away being able to look down to an area below (or above) then you simply walk across the bridge. It would really make the interior seem more open in my mind.

The TARDIS console rooms always seem more horizontally expansive than vertically.

**If this is not the case... well then I have a new idea for a quick console room design.

also you can see a set of stairs leading up to a wrap around walk way (right below the green monitor and above his arm) that would make those supporting structures on the far wall another level of the set.

galacticprobe

Dec 19, 2012, 10:40 pm #42 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012, 10:40 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: rob49152 on Dec 19, 2012, 10:02 pm
I was thinking that there might be a short walkway or bridge from the main doors to the console area. I like the idea of coming in through the doors and right away being able to look down to an area below (or above) then you simply walk across the bridge. It would really make the interior seem more open in my mind.

This sounds a lot like the "console area" in the animated "Scream of the Shalka" series. (And is it just me, or should these last two posts be in http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1080.0 ?)

Dino.

galacticprobe

Dec 22, 2012, 07:14 am #44 Last Edit: Dec 22, 2012, 07:19 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: type_1012_tardis on Dec 22, 2012, 01:00 am
Wait, leaked image?...

Actually, I believe the BBC finally officially released it.

They're replacing the console room again?

Yup. Rumor has it that they couldn't move the existing Smith console or room without totally destroying it when they moved to a new studio. Darned shame, too, as I was just starting to get used to that one.

I hope the console is no longer assembled of various odds and ends at the very least.

I guess you haven't seen the released image "sneak peek", originally re-posted here by mordrogyn:
Quote from: mordrogyn on Dec 19, 2012, 12:18 am
30nbrl1.jpg

The above image can be found in this thread http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4135.0.

In "The Five Doctors" they explained that the Doctor redid the console. No explanation was given for the change in the TVM or when the New Series started. The last time it was an easy explanation; the Old Girl had to rebuild herself after the 10th Doctor's explosive regeneration damaged her. I'm most curious to see how they explain the change this time.

Dino.