Previous topic - Next topic

dr hue

Map from 1970:

1970-barnet-by-passPNG-BW-gd.png

Mix with 2019 map:

mix6-png.png

2019 Map:
map2019-sq-png.png

Looks like the box was just under the 90 degree bend in the current footbridge.

dr hue

Aug 26, 2019, 04:23 pm #91 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2019, 04:25 pm by dr hue
Zoomed in area of Barnet Phone in 1977:

phone-barnet-png.png

The rest of this negative has some "gunk" on the emulsion.

I need to find some way of removing the gunk without damaging the negative 35mm KODAKCOLOR II emulsion.

Any ideas ?

fivefingeredstyre

I've just emailed a mate of mine. No promises, but he may have an idea on how to clean up negatives.

eustis2004

Some very exciting stuff! I've always wondered what the phone in this box looked like.....that's one less mystery. Thanks for posting!

peterjohn

I think this must be the most photographed Police Box!  ;)
Here's the one from about 1965 followed by a couple more "new" ones from over a decade later!

S63 Barnet By Pass Road [1960's].jpg

S63 [c1979].jpg

dr hue

That latest photo the box looks a dark blue but finished as a lighter blue at the end. Usually the other way round. Thanks for posting.

alexcutler

Quote from: dr hue on Jul 23, 2021, 09:38 amThat latest photo the box looks a dark blue but finished as a lighter blue at the end. Usually the other way round. Thanks for posting.

It does, but it is nowhere near the deep & gloss navy blue caught on more central London boxes.  Perhaps the sun and lack of maintenance slowly wore out the gloss and faded the colour?  Or perhaps since there were few left anymore, nobody really cared and just painted it any blue they had in stock?  I know we will probably never know the truth, but it at least justifies that you can't be too strict on exact colour or quality used on a police box for the sake of authenticity.  There may have been intent on a uniform colour, but clearly not in practice.

Volpone

Blue is tricky too.  Somewhere I've got pictures of my TARDIS, taken literally seconds apart on a partly cloudy day.  It looks...you'd swear it wasn't the same box--or that it wasn't the same paint at any rate.  Lighting and maybe even humidity and other elements has such a strong effect on how the blue photographs. 

Having said that, I now remember a photo that I think I posted here one of 2 US Postal Service boxes that are next to each other and are clearly different shades of blue.  So apparently government agencies being able to match a standard blue consistently is a problem we still have with us. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Andrew Harvey

Having just looked at this post and discovered more wonderful pictures of ye olde Barnet Box, I was fascinated to find the stereoscopic picture. I managed to get it to work with my eyes, as I have always had an ability to go boss eyed! It used to drive my Dad nuts when I was little as when ever anyone tried to take my picture.... anyway, reading the comments, some of you could not get your eyes to cross ( believe me you are missing out!) So I quickly put this together for your benefit. You'll need to dig out your red and green 3D specs!

Hope it works! Enjoy!Barnet Box 3D.jpg

redfern

Quote from: Andrew Harvey on Jul 26, 2022, 07:49 pmYou'll need to dig out your red and green 3D specs!

The depth illusion works quite well, yes!  ;D

(I keep a set of red/blue paper framed lenses at my 'puter desk just for these occasions!)  8)

Andrew Harvey

Very sensible! You never know when a good anaglyph might pop up!