Apr 23, 2024, 07:31 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Main Space-time Element Build

Started by warmcanofcoke, Nov 25, 2012, 12:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Nov 25, 2012, 12:46 am Last Edit: Dec 02, 2012, 12:59 pm by warmcanofcoke
I started watching Doctor Who in 1978 when I was 4. So I was perfectly positioned to watch the 5th Doctor years. One of my all time favorite seasons is Season 20. Arc of Infinity has to be the top of my top ten Doctor Whos.
(continued from http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4075.0 )

So my Tardis needs one of these.
TimeElement.jpg

I have a couple of 8/16th plastic rods .... I'm just wondering what size the Plastic rods in the S-T E might be ....

IMG_0841A.jpg
IMG_0842A.jpg

(The Box Shown if is 1 10/16ths across the top 1 10/16ths wide and 2 13/16th tall .... I think the boxes on the T-S E are a little bigger. The tube used to house a light up pen. )

edit * I've just placed an order for 7/16th Diameter Rods - Hopefully these will look right.

And I just missed out on an order of these Napkin Rings on ebay. I think they may have made a good Recall Circuit.
napkinrings.jpg
... spent too long thinking about it.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Nov 25, 2012, 06:53 am #1 Last Edit: Nov 25, 2012, 06:53 am by galacticprobe
Bummer about those ebay napkin rings. They do look like they'd have made a nice Recall Circuit (unless they were made of glass, then they'd be hell to work with - cutting one to get the correct number of "coils"). Try the usual places for napkins rings (Target; Bed, Bath, and Beyond; general kitchen supply stores, etc.). Each usually has a good selection of them.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

handofomega

For the liquid in the top tube...   Are you going to use red coloured water and clear mineral oil?   Or are you going with some other plan?

warmcanofcoke

I hadn't actually figured that out yet. Dino was saying that the tube should have two liquids one being something like a Baby oil. I suppose if there is a red mineral oil it would probably do the trick.

galacticprobe

Nov 26, 2012, 02:29 am #4 Last Edit: Nov 26, 2012, 02:30 am by galacticprobe
Nate, the bottom "fluid" is the red one, so that one is probably water with a drop of red food coloring in it. (Distilled would probably be best - less chance of it developing a green growth in it.) With the top fluid being clear, that would be the mineral oil. (I just mentioned Baby Oil because it happens to be a pretty light-weight oil, and is clear.) Remember, oil floats on water because the two don't mix, so a colored oil wouldn't work for this as it would put the color on top.

It would be different if the colored fluid was on top, but the only reddish oil I know of is transmission fluid. Then you'd have to find another, clear oil, that was lighter than the tranny fluid so it would float on top of the tranny fluid, but I think the two oils would eventually mix together since oil does mix with oil, and you'd end up with a solid red-fluid-filled tube.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

handofomega

red coloured distilled water and mineral oil sounds like it would do the trick.   I would say about half and half of each.   Just make sure that tube is completely sealed because that would be a BIG mess if it springs a leak...

galacticprobe

Nov 26, 2012, 03:50 am #6 Last Edit: Nov 26, 2012, 03:50 am by galacticprobe
I think the tricky part is going to be making sure there are no air bubbles inside the tube when it gets sealed. ???

Dino.

warmcanofcoke

I had always assumed that I would have to submerge the tube as it gets sealed.

warmcanofcoke

Nov 27, 2012, 06:06 am #8 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2012, 06:08 am by warmcanofcoke
I think I have found the box I will use to make the measurements for the plans
It is a Amac acrylic box that is 2-5/16" x 2-5/16" x 4-3/16" (I'll not use the cover so it will be slightly shorter.)
Collection 4 appears to have 1 out of the 4 in the right color.(I think they call the color "slate") $9.50 for the set.
http://www.amac1960.com/collections/m-series/products/100c-collection
CN100-AST4-FULL_1_1024x1024.jpg

I still want to find a place that sells them individually....

*also I wish it didn't have those circles on the ends ...

galacticprobe

Nov 27, 2012, 07:00 am #9 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2012, 07:02 am by galacticprobe
Well, look on the bright side: the circles on the ends will help you find the exact center when it comes time to drill the holes for the support rods that hold the "fluid" cylinder. No guessing or off-center holes to make it look crooked. That little circle in the middle will do nicely as a marker, and it doesn't look like that larger circle on it is deep enough to make it really matter. It's a superb box and it should do well.

You're right, though; it would be nice to be able to just get two of the same color, rather than having to get a set of four different color boxes and needing two sets.

AH! A thought just hit me. Take a look in one of those office supply places for those magnetic-topped paper clip containers! They're made from a tinted plastic, and the ones I've seen on people's desks are about the right size and shape; they basically look like the above boxes, but with a black top and that magnetic "hole" in it. They might cost less than getting two sets of these boxes. Then if the clip holder will work, just buy two, remove the magnetic top from them, and you should be good to go. (It's at least worth a recce.)

Dino.

Organic Mechanic

I agree about the paperclip dispenser, and was just about to chime in when I read your comment Dino.

Here's a link. http://www.walmart.com/ip/21952114?adid=22222222227015855870&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=20588062750&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

warmcanofcoke

Nov 27, 2012, 12:37 pm #11 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2012, 11:24 pm by warmcanofcoke
Nice - I guess I can buy these from the "evil empire" for that price. But before I do - do you think the boxes look a little like they keystone? -Like the bottom of the box slants downwards? /Or does the top cover give that illusion because it is keystoned?
0003525511796_P255045_500X500.jpg
2"x3"

it is in a much nicer color  :D

edit Office Max
http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/clips-fasteners-rubberbands/paper-clips/product-prod1812372
21264640i_01.jpg
1-5/8" W x 2-3/4" H

StaplesĀ® Large Magnetic Paper Clip Dispenser with 100 Clips
http://www.staples.com/Staples-Large-Magnetic-Clip-Dispenser-w-100-Clips/product_216283
s0021245_sc7.jpg
4 1/2"H x 2 1/4"W x 2 1/4"D

*also searched under pencil cup ..... I just have to go and visually inspect the products ...

galacticprobe

Nov 27, 2012, 05:13 pm #12 Last Edit: Nov 28, 2012, 05:37 am by galacticprobe
I would make a recce to one of the places that sells them (you could always try an Office Max/Depot or Target to avoid the Borg Collective) to look at one in person. It does look like it keystones a little, and in those photos it is hard to tell if both parts of the dispenser keystone.

If it does, maybe a little careful sanding of a napkin ring to taper one edge would make the Recall Circuit mate with the box without any gaps caused by the slight keystoning. Any keystoning might not even be noticeable once the whole prop is completed.

Dino.

Edit: The Office Max versions look promising. Their color is pretty nice, and at least in those photos they look like they have straight sides, with only the black magnetic top keystoning. Definitely time for a recce.

warmcanofcoke

7/16th Diameter Rods came in. They look good.
IMG_0937A.jpg
Probably get to shop on the weekend to look for paperclip keepers.

museumdave

Hey. Nate,

Loving this build! very cool bit to choice and make.  I look forward to seeing your vision come together.

Cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?