Previous topic - Next topic

thingee

Aug 04, 2011, 01:51 am Last Edit: Nov 12, 2012, 08:29 pm by Scarfwearer
new_tardis_07.jpg

thingee

thingee

thingee

thingee

I suppose I could also weatherproof the TARDIS further, and I can also install working lights (which I've made eventual accommodation for). But for now, I'm gonna sit back and watch my daughter play in her new birthday TARDIS, completed just in time for her sixth birthday.

new_tardis_20.jpg

thingee

I know I built this for my daughter, but I've taken a lot of pride in it for myself - as a guy who never built anything before in his life (aside from a space-swallowing comic book collection), I honestly feel like I've accomplished something to be proud of. The pages and pages of comments I got on Facebook (even from people who have never seen an episode of Doctor Who) after posting these pictures are worth it on their own.

Seeing that massive blue edifice in the back yard is quite shocking at times. I'm really glad I took on the project, and the skills I picked up (not to mention all the mistakes) have made me a much handier person.

In fact, my wife has already come up with a laundry list of items for me to get cracking on next. A swing for the back yard, a new bookshelf, a see-saw...

Anyway, if anyone reading this is still unsure as to whether or not they want to dive in and start building a TARDIS, I strongly recommend it. I guarantee you will make mistakes, but if you're anything like me, you'll just want to keep on building. It was a ridiculous amount of fun, despite the cold weather / spiders / wobbliness.

new_tardis_21.jpg

deck5

Thank you!  That was great.  I hope it survives many more Toronto winters to come.

superrichi1a

Abseloutly beautiful build, I love the sign boxes, the blue, and the windows. You've also got some really nice camera angles in there  ;)
Looks like someone else besides myself has done a Hudolin-New Series hybrid. Unlike mine, yours looks good lol!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

thingee

My daughter has now requested a disco ball for the interior.

Could it be possible that my TARDIS will be the first in the world with a disco ball?

the_temporal_mechanic

Amazing build.  You should totally have a disco ball if she wants one.  It's her right to change the desktop theme :)

geminitimelord

would be neat if someone put 4 mirrors inside a TARDIS, then as you stand inside the size of the box would appear to be infinite.

Darksyde

I'd never do that. My luck I'd be the first person to ever get lost in a 4x4 room.