Apr 24, 2024, 02:53 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Nst

Started by rasalon, Nov 05, 2012, 12:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

"Woohoo yeepy" indeed!
I really like the 'photo heavy' nature of your build diary - the high quality of your build speaks for itself. Nice, well thought-out touches too, like the run-off for the rain and the recesses to act as slots for the panels.
You've obviously gone to a lot of trouble to achieve a smooth finish; is it your intention to add texturing or to create a 'pristine' version?
Tony

rasalon

Thankyou for noticing ;) as for the texture, I'm at a loss for now, the Tennant TARDIS (after which this modeled) is clearly made out of wood, so I don't see the point of hiding the grain (or make it look like concrete)and the TARDIS before that Is way too beat up for my taste. What I've done so far is to put up heavy coats of primer to simulate many layers of paint and just a little runoff here and there to simulate age, I was thinking of distressing the TARDIS with a chain and a bar but that might go to far. I will however, once painted the base color, add darker and lighter paint here and There to simulate dirt and use. similar to below

Tardis_cardiff_cropped.jpg

I'd welcome your opinion on the matter.

Volpone

I used Scarfwearer and Purpleblancmanges' technique of a wet rag and a tube of black artist's acrylic for my initial weathering.  Touched it around with special attention to cracks, corners, and grooves--the intent was to make it look like grime had made its way onto the box and escaped cleaning efforts.  I'd planned to use white paint to create highlights, but the tube of white I had laying around had long ago dried up, so I just used chalk for highlights--to make the corners and edges look faded.  The white has since washed off but I'm OK with that.  I tried using other shades of blue to get a look like it had been repainted and/or the paint was fading at different rates, but that effect was negligible. 

What really worked for me (beyond the black paint and rag) was to squirt some black paint from the tube into an old spray bottle (glass cleaner, etc), add a bunch of water, and then spray it all over the box.  At first I freaked out because it looked really dark, but it lightens as it dries and has created a really neat effect.  The only problem is, the spray head eventually clogged, so I need a new spray bottle if I'm going to do more.  (Also why I just used an empty cleaner bottle that I was throwing out.) 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Dec 03, 2012, 05:53 pm #33 Last Edit: Dec 03, 2012, 05:54 pm by galacticprobe
Volpone beat me to it. I was actually typing something very similar when I got the notice that another post had been made while I was typing. (I guess great minds think alike. ;D)

Giving it a going-over with a chain and bar just sounds painful (and may be considered 'TARDIS Abuse', which is punishable by losing one regeneration! ;))

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rasalon

I know, Now that I built it I cant bring myself to harm it in any way!

DoctorWho8

Looking great!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

rasalon

Dec 09, 2012, 06:36 am #36 Last Edit: Dec 09, 2012, 06:40 am by rasalon
W I N D O W S !!!
DSC_0439.JPG

So here is the work station. The pieces are from the same 5 mil plywood as the rest of the structure.

DSC_0436.JPG

Started with the frame first to stay authentic to the TV TARDIS

DSC_0437.JPG

And here is the rest. you can see the the smaller pieces are back up with larger ones from the back and the revers is in the front. the glass / plastic will sit inside the structure and will be sealed against weather.

DSC_0438.JPG

DoctorWho8

Dec 09, 2012, 04:58 pm #37 Last Edit: Dec 09, 2012, 04:59 pm by DoctorWho8
Clothes pins! A low tech clamping solution for thin/tight areas.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

rasalon

considering all the materials used in the console and the interior of the tardis, clothes pins should be right at home if not a must. ;D

slidin_sidewayz

Your door lock looks like it will be awfully close to the centre divider.

rasalon

You might be right, I followed the installation instructions for the lock and that's where it ended up. I'll put up the divider strip and see how it looks.

slidin_sidewayz

It seems it might be a common problem, going by my own experiences as well as others on here. I had to build out my striker plate on mine. ::)

rasalon

I can't believe it... there is still the matter of windows and top and phone signs but its DONE!!!! oh and the door divider too but just a minor detail!!!! It looks like the real thing to me having never seen the real thing! I'm soooooo happy

DSC_0440.JPG

There is one thing however, I went inside and closed the door, It was ... well, Just a box :-\, felt very cramped :'(, I'll have to do something about it!

mobius

definitely make it bigger on the inside. that's my plan, inspired by Scarfwearer.
It's always a matter of time...

davhoo

Beautiful job!  You should be very proud!  May I ask where you got your door lock?  I'm not having much luck finding one that looks right to me!