News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Nst

Started by rasalon, Nov 05, 2012, 12:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rasalon

Nov 13, 2012, 05:18 am #15 Last Edit: Nov 13, 2012, 05:19 am by rasalon
Quote from: evil bob on Nov 06, 2012, 12:16 pm
Bill's PDFs are *very* useful. Also, the Flight Control TARDIS toy is pretty accurate. If you have a vernier caliper and a calculator you can pretty much find out any non-documented dimension. The magic number is 13.4.

I just figured out that By PDF you mean the line drawings in the post just above yours! They are very usefull, I am using one of them as a guide with all my measurements scribbled all over it. I was referring to a 40-50 page document by (the name escapes me). that's the one that I did not find very usefull and made me want to create someting like it but for the NST. ;D

evil bob

Lol, yes, Bill Rudloff's pdf drawings. I've seen the TARDISbuildersMANUALbyGLENWALKER.pdf, but it went into details in areas that didn't pertain to what I wanted to do. 

rasalon

I wholeheartedly agree :D

rasalon

Nov 15, 2012, 07:07 pm #18 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2012, 07:24 pm by rasalon
The roof has given me the most problem, I used the roof calculator so I think I am safe to give measurements here. (thats a place holder lamp)

DSC_0413.JPG

My roof has an 8 degree pitch and to achieve that I cut the supporting struts at 8 degrees on each side. I did not however do the same to the 5mil panels leaving a V shaped gap on top for wood filler

DSC_0401.JPG
DSC_0402.JPG

The step below the roof is at an angel to drain away the rain. I had to meet the corners at 45 degrees to have a seamless gap.  The steps are 3" high and 3" wide.

DSC_0407.JPG

the hole is to put poor glue in from the underside
DSC_0408.JPG

DSC_0409.JPG

The middle of the roof was left empty to receive a combined cap and lap at one go the hole is 8" square and the cap will be ¾ " high (make it easy for wiring).

rasalon

Nov 20, 2012, 07:55 am #19 Last Edit: Nov 20, 2012, 07:57 am by rasalon
Finally finished my columns construction, here you see one with only one side veneer  on (1/4" plywood) this way it covers all the holes and mounting hardware. (used A lot of water proof glue) the screws are there till the glue dries. now all I have to do is to flatten the edge of each column.
DSC_0423.JPG

rasalon

OK i thought I was finished with the columns but I had forgotten to cut out the sharp end... I noticed that in all the NST the column has this detail (not just Matt Smith's) so it took an hour or so to come up with this jig.

DSC_0424.JPG

which is used like this...

DSC_0427.JPG

for a final result of this ...

DSC_0425.JPG

Once I sand the putty patches I'll be ready to prime and I'll be done with the columns.

DoctorWho8

You could have save some effort and used a router. ;)  But that is a different, if not precarious, way of doing it.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

rasalon

I did consider what you are suggesting but I have carage bolts that are coming through the wood of the columns which are meant to hold up the walls and are permanently installed. With a cover such as this it hides the holes and it will insure that the bolts don't back out.

rasalon

Nov 27, 2012, 11:43 pm #23 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2012, 11:46 pm by rasalon
Here are the top sign boxes, the top of the box will be attached to the roof and the bottom will be removable

DSC_0420.JPG

The notch on the bottom of the box is to sit flush with the doors

DSC_0421.JPG

test assembly

DSC_0422.JPG

slidin_sidewayz

Nice approach regarding the plywood veneer on the posts. I considered doing it that way before settling on the routered-out method. Just looking at your posts, though, you don't think that perhaps the square section should be a bit more exposed, ala:
corner post details.JPG
perhaps? Just a suggestion. Oh, and you're putting this outside?? Does it not rain in California?

rasalon

Dec 01, 2012, 06:50 am #25 Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012, 06:52 am by rasalon
Quote from: slidin_sidewayz on Nov 30, 2012, 06:41 am
Nice approach regarding the plywood veneer on the posts. I considered doing it that way before settling on the routered-out method. Just looking at your posts, though, you don't think that perhaps the square section should be a bit more exposed, ala:
perhaps? Just a suggestion. Oh, and you're putting this outside?? Does it not rain in California?

I'm not sure what you mean by the square section, I will post a pic of the sign box and the column together shortly, I think it looks like the pics that you posted but let me know. And YES it does rain where I am, infact I've been working in the rain the past week to finish my project, the umbrella over the power tools helps out a lot. I am going to prime and paint it before putting it outside. I've also taken some measures like angling all horizontal surfaces to make sure no water collects.

slidin_sidewayz

I was referring to the area above the bevelled edge you created with the ply on each post. It's still square-edged compared to the rest of the post. It's actually taller than the sign box frame edges are thick.

rasalon

OK here is a pic of my post / box arrangement, what do you thinkDSC_0433.JPG

slidin_sidewayz

Aaaaaaahhhhh.... I see! You made a cap for the top! That would make that area taller, for sure! ;-)

rasalon

;D   P R O G R E S S   ;D
DSC_0430.JPG

DSC_0435.JPG

woohoo yeepy ... etc.