Apr 27, 2024, 04:49 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Mark III Project

Started by vortexsurfer, Nov 03, 2012, 12:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vortexsurfer

Nov 03, 2012, 12:09 pm Last Edit: Nov 03, 2012, 12:10 pm by vortexsurfer
If I may have you attention. For some time I have been experimenting with the Mark III Project. Details of modifications will be distributed later, however I am anxious that you should see immediately the remarkable results that I have achieved, and to that end I have arranged this demonstration.

Ok so it's a console, not a dalek, but when I called my last build that Mark II I felt that I had no choice with this one!

DSC00466.JPGDSC00472.JPGDSC00465.JPGDSC00467.JPGDSC00464.JPG

Thanks go to Crispin for inspiring me to start this build.

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Scarfwearer

Ooooh! Wow! You've been keeping very quiet about this... Delighted to see another build of this console!

Tell us more about how it's been going...

Crispin

DoctorWho8

Crispin, you now have competition. Guess it;s time for you to start your stuff back up. ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Nov 04, 2012, 06:13 am #4 Last Edit: Nov 04, 2012, 06:14 am by galacticprobe
Wow! This is another great build of the Season 14 console. I agree with Scarfwearer; it's nice to see another build of this one and if you've got any in-progress photos of this build, please post them. Well done so far and I look forward to seeing how you progress with it. Where did you get those great brass supports on top for holding the railing in place?

(And, Crispin, I have to agree with Bill; it's been ages since we've seen an update on our build of this one. I for one am dying to see more of your progress!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

vortexsurfer

Nov 04, 2012, 05:02 pm #5 Last Edit: Nov 04, 2012, 05:15 pm by vortexsurfer
Unfortunately I don't have any progress shots. I started building it about six months ago and for some reason never took any pictures to post.

I actually found Crispin's build more useful as a reference than the original and followed much the same technique. The base of the console however is actually five pine cupboard doors which were on offer in my local DIY shop (where I also found the brass supports) and then the door was built from scratch. You'll notice there's also a second door in the underside of the console, which wasn't in the original, but allows easier access to the electronics when they are fitted.

I used plywood for the shelf that runs around the console, which is supported by two lengths of pine with a space in the middle. Originally I had intended for one section of this to be on a hinge so you could open it up and see lights and gizmos inside. Unfortunately this didn't look very aesthetic so I ended up scrapping the idea and having the shelf solid as per the original.

For the control panels I found some coloured push switches on ebay, rather than use backlit perspex sqaures, so that it can all be rigged up with light and sound effects.

Right now I'm looking for a suitable stain/vanish to use on the outside.

Scarfwearer

Quote from: vortexsurfer on Nov 04, 2012, 05:02 pm
The brass rings I found in my usual DIY shop, just standard ones for towel rails and the like.

What model?? I spent ages looking for ones with rectangular bottoms - ended up using elliptical.

Crispin

vortexsurfer

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head, I'll find out for you the next time I'm in there. I believe the flats are actually in the wrong direction compared to the original though...