Apr 19, 2024, 08:46 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Is that a Police Box in Ealing Road, Wembley?

Started by petewilson, Oct 31, 2012, 03:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hb88banzai

Nov 02, 2012, 05:04 pm #15 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2012, 05:05 pm by hb88banzai
Also, there are references in "The Rise and Fall of the Police Box" that there were quite a number of "old pattern fixed watch boxes" converted circa 1930 to include a telephone & signage and become part of the whole system. Perhaps these missing numbers refer, at least in part, to those.

Dalekoracle

one would assume that if the old patterned watch boxes were part of the Police Call Box network, that they would have been included as part of one complete list.
I look at the photo and i see a dark patch, granted, but nothing that screams "Police Box" to me.
I do think its wishful thinking.
Thats not me putting a dampner onto the thread, i just don't believe theres one there.
Mark

hb88banzai

Probably quite right about the photo, but did serve the purpose of sparking a wider discussion.

We know of at least two places where there were old style watch boxes that were later (mid-30s) replaced with Mk 1 Boxes at the exact same Site - Crayford High Street (at the bridge) and Carshalton High Street. Do note, however, that the Met List has those Box's Sites being commissioned at the date commensurate with the installation of the concrete boxes, not at the time of any conversion or the much earlier commissioning of the watch boxes.

Lots of questions.

Dalekoracle

I agree. The further one digs into all of this, the more questions arise.
A visit to the Archive (again) is becoming more of a necessity. Maybe something more structured this time. Armed with a list of specific queries.

action_mat

Quote from: hb88banzai on Nov 01, 2012, 07:45 am
I'm not sure old cars in a photo are as useful a dating tool as newer ones would be. In other words, car models are good for establishing minimum dates, but less so for maximum dates. So I think this could easily be circa 1950-1955, especially considering the small sample set of vehicles visible in the photo. 

SR Sewell the Jewellers closed towards the end of the war.  As there's no bomb blast tape on the windows of the shops I reckon this photo's earlier than 1940. 

lorisarvendu

Quote from: lorisarvendu on Nov 02, 2012, 09:04 am
I'm not convinced there is a missing page in P Division. Yes the numbers do jump from P34 to P46, but those two boxes are both in East Dulwich, so what are the chances that the Met numbered P34 in the same area, then went somewhere else from P35 onwards...then suddenly jumped back to East Dulwich again for P46...exactly coinciding with a missing page?

After Mike's recent post about the missing page from P Division, I would just like to let everyone know that I am eating a huge slice of Humble Pie here. :-[

Dalekoracle

Pie is the dish of the day and the flavour is "Humble".
Mike's info on the missing page (and therefore missing boxes) completes the list, and yes, that photo could indeed show a box on Ealing Road.

But then, I'm the person who convinced everyone that two pixels of white in a darkened area of a Frances Frith postcard were the windows of the Woolwich Common Box, so who am I to comment! Happy to stand corrected. This could indeed be the Ealing Road Wembly box and good spot Pete. You have eagle eyes!

Mark.
:)

petewilson

Quote from: Dalekoracle on Nov 13, 2012, 06:45 pm
This could indeed be the Ealing Road Wembly box and good spot Pete. You have eagle eyes!

Mark.
:)

It's Like playing a variation of the game   "Where's Wally" going through all these photographs Mark!   ;D

domvar

Still not seeing a box in this image there is no mention of Ealing Road in the missing page:-

The missing Boxes P34-P46:
P34   Honor Oak Road, north side at Hengrave Road, south side (Siren)     East Dulwich Sub-div
P35   Sydenham Hill, east side 15 yds north of London Road                    "          "          "
P36   Dulwich Village, east side 20 yds south of Court Lane                     "          "          "
P37   Dulwich Road, south side 10 yds north of Norwood Road    (Siren)     "          "         "
P38   NW corner of Champion Hill and Grove Lane                     (Siren)    "           "         "
P39   Peckham Rye, east side 12 yds south of Philip Road                        "          "          "
P40   SW corner of Peckham Rye East and Homestall Road                       "         "          2
P41   Gibbon Road, east side opposite Hollydale Road                              Lewisham sub-div
P42   New Cross Road, south side 40 yds east of Pepys Road                           "       "
P43   Lewisham Way, south side 5 yds west of Tyrwhitt Road                           "      "
P44   Lewisham High Street, east side 31 yds south of Loampit Vale (Siren)        "       "
P45   Crofton Park Road, east side 20 yds south of Ewhurst Road                     "        "
P46   Dartmouth Road, east side 118 yds north of Kirkdale         (Siren)            "         "