Mar 29, 2024, 09:22 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Brachaki Windows

Started by ionsith, Oct 27, 2012, 09:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ionsith

Wasn't sure where to ask this, so apologies if this is in completely the wrong place! I'm 3D modelling the Brachaki box based on the latest plans on site and I just wanted to check this with people who may be in 'the know'...

Working on the basis that the windows plus frames and lower step are 15.5" x 12", I estimated that the frames are 0.75" and the actual window panes are 6.25" x 3".

Does that sound right?

tony farrell

galacticprobe

Oct 28, 2012, 06:20 am #2 Last Edit: Jul 03, 2019, 03:14 am by warmcanofcoke
Here's a drawing of the original Brachacki (can't remember where I downloaded it from... lespaceplie? DoctorWho8?) that shows more detail of the windows. It looks like the "viewable" area of the window is 6" x 3", so I would guess the actual pane is a little larger so it overlaps with the dividing frame (if that makes sense).
TARDIS-1963(original)01.jpg

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DoctorWho8

Not me on this one. First one is the right one. ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

tony farrell

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 28, 2012, 06:20 am
Here's a drawing of the original Brachacki (can't remember where I downloaded it from... lespaceplie? DoctorWho8?) that shows more detail of the windows. It looks like the "viewable" area of the window is 6" x 3", so I would guess the actual pane is a little larger so it overlaps with the dividing frame (if that makes sense).
TARDIS-1963(original)01.jpg

Dino.

Hi Dino - hope life is good for you.
Regarding the drawing you posted: I thought that it had been established that the original Police Box prop's corner posts were 4.5" in width. In addition, the base of the prop had a chamferred or sloping upper surface which isn't reflected in your drawing.
If the 'recess' for the window measures 15.5" by 12" and each 'divider' is 0.75", then the visible measurement of each pane must be 6.25" by 3"
Kind Regards
Tony

ionsith

Thank you for the quick feedback! I was indeed going by the first lot of plans with the 6.5" post width. I tell ya, a scientific calculator is an absolute God-send when you're TARDIS buidling! I had already modelled a Brachaki box before, but when I came across the revised plans I unashamedly clapped my hands like a small child and set to work! :D

galacticprobe

Oct 28, 2012, 09:59 pm #6 Last Edit: Oct 28, 2012, 10:14 pm by galacticprobe
I'm not sure where I found that drawing of the Brachacki; I've had it for a while. I do have the one that you posted, Tony: the one that shows the chamfered edge on the base, with the 15.5" high recesses and the 4.5" corner posts. Again I can't remember where I found this one. I'd even forgot I had it. I had to dig through all of my drawings. (I really need to create folders for each version of this prop and sort them!)

Anyway, I forgot what was finally decided on the dimensions for this model. What I do remember is that the discussion was a long (and occasionally) painful one! But if you look at that drawing, you'll see that the 4.5" part of the corner post (bottom left of that drawing) is the narrow part. It shows 6.5" for the total width of the post, from quarter-round corner to quarter-round corner (bottom right of the drawing).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ionsith

Oh yes, I did pick up on that, thanks :)

Was any decision or consesus reached regarding the Post Caps? 3" tall and 2.5" wide?

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 28, 2012, 09:59 pm
I'm not sure where I found that drawing of the Brachacki; I've had it for a while. I do have the one that you posted, Tony: the one that shows the chamfered edge on the base, with the 15.5" high recesses and the 4.5" corner posts. Again I can't remember where I found this one. I'd even forgot I had it. I had to dig through all of my drawings. (I really need to create folders for each version of this prop and sort them!)

Anyway, I forgot what was finally decided on the dimensions for this model. What I do remember is that the discussion was a long (and occasionally) painful one! But if you look at that drawing, you'll see that the 4.5" part of the corner post (bottom left of that drawing) is the narrow part. It shows 6.5" for the total width of the post, from quarter-round corner to quarter-round corner (bottom right of the drawing).

Dino.

It's also worth noting that there are several versions of this diagram. I'm not sure what version the most recent one is... But I have several of these with minor variations.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Oct 30, 2012, 04:10 am #9 Last Edit: Oct 30, 2012, 04:11 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Oct 29, 2012, 02:04 pm
It's also worth noting that there are several versions of this diagram. I'm not sure what version the most recent one is... But I have several of these with minor variations.

That's exactly my problem. I've got several variations of just about each "model" of the prop. That's why I really need to put each one in its own folder (Brachacki Original; Brachacki Modified; Yardley-Jones, Mk1/Mk2; etc.). Maybe then I can figure out which of each is the most recent. :P

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

Oct 30, 2012, 07:45 am #10 Last Edit: Jun 06, 2016, 06:34 am by kiwidoc
I believe that the up-to-date plans are now hosted at "doctorwhoscarf.com".

A quick search of our forum gave me this:
http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/drwho/brachacki.pdf
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Oct 31, 2012, 08:16 pm #11 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2012, 10:05 pm by Scarfwearer
Okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me, Marc. That drawing is one of drafts (versions?) I have in my Original Brachacki collection. I'll set the other ones aside, just for reference (can never have too many) and just go by this one.

<snip>

Dino.