Playing around

Started by rob49152, Oct 17, 2012, 08:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rob49152

playing around in photoshop
image00030_001a.jpg

jezmiller

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Oct 17, 2012, 07:47 pm
That is a sick door opening.  To make it practical in real life, the hexgonals would have to hide behind others in the formation instead of fade out.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

There's a long-standing fan idea that a TARDIS is mostly made of Block Transfer Computations rather than conventional matter, and even if you don't buy that, Time Lord technology can manipulate matter and energy effortlessly. They could build a door that operated like that as easily as Rob simulated it. I've sometimes wondered if the only reason that the TARDIS has conventional doors is that the Time Lords prefer a deliberately archaic ambiance in their surroundings.

warmcanofcoke

Oct 17, 2012, 08:41 pm #17 Last Edit: Oct 17, 2012, 08:43 pm by warmcanofcoke
Dearest Tardis, I would so love to travel the Universe with you. We could be mad together, I would take you to the parts of time other Time Lords wouldn't. I love your vast rooms, and lengthy components. I've noticed your slinky walk through the vortex. Your control interface is a naughty little , teasing GUI and I can't wait to input commands into your dimensional osmosis damper
Yours faithfully,
Warmcanofcoke. <3
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Rassilons Rod

Oct 17, 2012, 09:18 pm #18 Last Edit: Oct 17, 2012, 09:20 pm by rassilonsrod
I love it. Reminds me a little of the cylinder basestars from the reboot. I could imagine those water based control consoles in there.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

handofomega

Most brilliant non-series TARDIS interior I have seen to date.   You just caused me to rethink half my designs!   Thank you, in a good way!  ;D

Rassilons Rod

Cylinder = CYLON... damn auto correct. I'm going to have to watch that!
Public Enema Number One.

Kingpin

Suddenly I feel like I'm playing a game of Blockbusters.

Rassilons Rod

Can I have a P, please Rob? (sorry... that would be Bob...) :D
Public Enema Number One.

Vale

It's interesting... a thought experiment on how a super-advanced time machine should really look if its owner wasn't quirky, madcap and cockamamie. It does look VERY Master or Rani. I'd be interested in seeing what it would look like with circular roundels, still in that honeycomb pattern... at the moment it has slightly too many straight lines for my tastes, it looks a shade too intimidating to be welcoming. The door is interesting, though I'm not sure the red hexagons showing where it appears are necessary; and the holographic display screens are very nice.

type_1012_tardis

Quote from: jezmiller on Oct 17, 2012, 08:26 pm
...is that the Time Lords prefer a deliberately archaic ambiance in their surroundings.

I'd say that it more likely follows the same factored-in-later pattern as the Star Wars films did before the prequels, where some Time Lord technology (eg. the TARDIS) is more advanced than that earth, while other bits (eg. the CRT screens in the classic series and Time Lord computers) are less so.  This could also, therefore, contribute to their not being as creative as 21-century humans in a specific field.  Probably over-thinking it, but possible nonetheless (and reduces the impact of technology-advances-faster-than-writers'-ideas on DW).

As far as the console room itself goes, quite impressive!  I wish my imagination was half as good as yours.  Do you mind if I borrow the idea for the D&D gameroom in my TARDIS now that I've officially converted to blender from sketchup?  Been trying to figure out what to do with the walls for ages (plus it would make a nice break from the wood paneling that makes up most of the ship).

End of Line
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

fridaysgoldfish

I want to see more of this...

rob49152

sadly that's as far as I played.. or will probably play with this design. It was more of an 'hey I wonder how that would look..?' thing than an actual start on a new room design.

rob49152

oh yeah, the reason I had added the red archway was the idea that the main door would be able to change in size. It could be spanning several 'columns' of roundles. Or you could create an interface to another room directly and bypass the pedestrian infrastructure of a TARDIS.

Rassilons Rod

I was starting to wonder what the black walls behind would look like with round roundels in them (style of your choice of course) but I was thinking certainly the black/lit colour scheme of the Master.
Public Enema Number One.

fridaysgoldfish