May 15, 2024, 07:22 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Playing around

Started by rob49152, Oct 17, 2012, 08:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rob49152

Oct 17, 2012, 08:26 am Last Edit: Oct 17, 2012, 08:29 am by rob49152
I saw an image and got an idea from scratch. 3 hours later I cranked this out. Just placed a temp console model in to hold the place. I kind of like the stairs leading down on the left hand side of the image.

As usual right click and pick 'open image in new tab' to see the full size image
image00030_001.jpg

fridaysgoldfish

I like that, and the downward stairs do look suitably intriguing, is the "red arch" some new kind of real world interface opposed to conventional doors?

warmcanofcoke

Oct 17, 2012, 12:10 pm #2 Last Edit: Oct 17, 2012, 12:14 pm by warmcanofcoke
Rob that is a work of genius. I love the fact that you can see stairs behind the roundels I love the pit of lights to the side I love the lighting. I love the reflective surfaces. I love the lighting rings up above. I love the steps to the console. I love the green bit at the base of the console. I love the weighted containment cubes to the room to the right. The Roundels - can I even call them that? ... They are amazing. Rob I am in love with this console room.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

tony farrell

That took you just three hours -wow and wow again!
Tony

Rassilons Rod

Oct 17, 2012, 01:07 pm #4 Last Edit: Oct 17, 2012, 01:09 pm by rassilonsrod
The back stairs remind me of the Panopticon :) (I didn't spot the stairs behind the left roundels at first!)

Really great design and a lovely render :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

This is like a Tron crossover.  Feels like the Master.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

davidnagel

Nice Rob, nice.

I've always liked the idea of floating roundels in a console room and beyond either black or white emptiness. Though in my head I was thinking the usual circular roundels, which has now made me think of an observation I've made.

Eccleston console shape : circular. Roundels : hexagonal.
Classic consoles shape : hexagonal. Roundels : circular.
Regards
David

jezmiller

Stunning design and really spectacular. The floating hexagonal roundels are original yet very "TARDIS-y"

It looks too dark, too sleekly advanced, too efficient and too menacing (that dark colour scheme with the red highlights), to belong to the Doctor, though. I could easily imagine the Master piloting it. Or it could be Robert Knox's voice-controlled model from "Assassin in the Limelight". Imagine a completed version of this with Lysette Anthony's voice floating down from the ceiling. To quote Count Grendel, "if only she were real, I'd marry her"  ;D

rob49152

I went with the black & red colour scheme for the master when I was doing this. At one point I thought 'oh no, thats very Tron like... ah screw it' and dcided to go with it.

my main concept was keeping it feeling more advanced but yet cold and sterile. I cant see the Master with trinkets laying around. A long time ago I had an idea for a cool console but now it would feel to much like the Silents time ship from seasons 5 & 6.

I have just finished rendering out an animation of the main doors. I'll upload that soon

rob49152

I've uploaded a video to my website
http://who3d.co.uk/doors.mp4

I imagine the doors just appearing as the 'arch' does on the star trek holodeck. You can't see it until its active.

galacticprobe

Oct 17, 2012, 07:37 pm #10 Last Edit: Oct 17, 2012, 07:37 pm by galacticprobe
I have to agree with everyone on this. It looks absolutely fabulous. And I think DoctorWho8 is right; this has The Master's scent all over it! (I can just see him plotting his next Universal Conquest plans in it.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

I have a friend from Australia that thinks this is a very Rani Tardis. - I could see the Doctor in this Tardis there would just be some odd bits of ephemera, and Victoriana in the next room.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

DoctorWho8

That is a sick door opening.  To make it practical in real life, the hexgonals would have to hide behind others in the formation instead of fade out.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Oct 17, 2012, 07:52 pm #13 Last Edit: Oct 17, 2012, 07:52 pm by galacticprobe
Suppose those hexagonals are mounted to a non-reflective, clear material? Then you wouldn't see the "clear wall", but those hexes would be able to fade out like they do. (I'm not saying that is how it's intended to be, but just supposing; a TARDIS can configure herself in just about any way she wants. We've seen that enough!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Wow. That's amazing. I wish it was longer :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.