Apr 18, 2024, 07:55 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 Roundel Reference

Started by museumdave, Apr 10, 2012, 03:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

museumdave

Hi All,

Sorry this may not be the right place for this, but does any one have a good quality image of a roundel from the 2005 control room?  I have seen some good images of the control room, but it is hard to get a clear shot of a roundel- all those hoses. 

thanks

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Apr 10, 2012, 03:56 pm #1 Last Edit: Oct 16, 2012, 04:41 pm by Scarfwearer
M.D., I managed to grab these from the Bonham's auction when they had this wall panel on their site:

45.jpg
Front side

08.jpg
Back side

pic-11.jpg
In place on set

And here's one with a couple of wall panel sections on the floor for an angle shot (to guess the depth of the roundel):
walls.jpg

Hopefully they will be of help. From that last photo is almost looks like you could use those textures covers for drop ceiling lights for the panels, and stick the hexel-roundel into them once you figure out how to make the hexels. From the look of it, the panels are mostly "clear", with some grey and odd greenish spots sprayed onto them, leaving the round part of the roundel clear (except for the crackled ring around it). And from the overall photo of the completed set they used amber (and some white) lighting to get that amber color:
Set(medium).JPG
I know from that photo it all looks like white lights, but I think I've got another somewhere that shows a similar view with the lights not as bright, and those round shades are an amber color.

Also, I think someone on here has a nice detailed diagram or such of one of those hexels. I can't remember who, but I would love to see that one.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

WOWOWOWOW

Thanks Dino,  I had seen a couple of these before, but some great and unique shoots here.  Thanks.

I  have one like that grey shot that I have been playing with, but I am thinking that although the plastic walls them selves are grey, they were usually backlit to that warm yellow/brown tone.  any how

thanks

M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

Rassilons Rod

That shot where it looks grey is interesting. Looks almost like the 80's console room grey :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

atomicgraph

wow what an amazing set!!! seeing it like that last photo just makes me love this console room even more.

galacticprobe

Apr 11, 2012, 05:46 am #5 Last Edit: Apr 11, 2012, 05:48 am by galacticprobe
Here's a larger shot of the entire set. (Excuse this if it's a bit grainy; I had to reduce image quality to get it under the 500k limit.) I Also had to lighten the original so you could see the details in the dark areas, which is why in this photo and the one in my last post those shaded lamps look so bright. They were more amber colored, which is how I think they achieved that look inside the console room.

Your browser will probably resize the photo to fit the Forum window, so open the image in a new tab/window to see it full-size.
Set(big)-2.jpg

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Hey all,

Again not really sure this is the right place for this post, but It seemed a logical spot.

I have been thinking.  What I would really like is a good quality 3D image of a 2005 hex roundel that I could print off and use as a sticker to adorn my walls.  I have been playing with photos (thanks again Dino), but I am sadly next to useless at this kind of thing.  any one who has looked at my build will no that any of my non-photo images are done in paint and pretty pitiful. 

So no expectations here, but if some talented person wanted to help out a fellow whovian I would be most grateful.

Cheers

Dave

P.S.  at one point I was thinking of building roundels, but that is not in the cards right now

Thanks again

galacticprobe

Apr 26, 2012, 12:33 am #7 Last Edit: Apr 26, 2012, 12:49 am by galacticprobe
Would you like my high-res version of this?
WallSection(small).jpg
(The high-res version is too big to post here.)

This is another photo from the wall section that was auctioned by Bonham's a few years ago. All that's missing is the blank "top" section between those last hexels and the "beehive" at the top of the column. Since all of the wall panels were vacu-formed from a master pattern they should all be the same, so you could print off as many as you needed, and stick them onto some white/frosted trougher light diffusers (they bend enough to make a nice curve) and make some walls out of that. Then just add some amber/yellow backlighting and you should have some decent-looking walls.

Edit: Okay... I just saw the post with your attic photos. (Still, envy!) Anyway, the shape of your attic walls should take well to this wall panel.

Dino.

13drwho

It might be possible to take the first image on this page of the single roundel and use photoshop to increase the size/resolution so that multiple copies can be printed a large size. Then you could print out (or have them professionally printed) as many as you wanted and place them. I think that's more practical than the whole wall section, but that's just my opinion. I could do it if you want, but the file size might be too large for this site.

museumdave

Hey Thanks Dino,

Thanks for the offer, I think I may already have grabbed that image..  The issue I am having is that I really don't have the space to back light anything plus I was thinking paper or transparencies (***sigh**$) and although this is the true colour of these panels they almost never appear in the show like this.  There is always that amber colour and dark lines of the hex.  I know there should be a way to take the image you have posted and change the colours to be more like the screen appearance, maybe lighten the centre of the roundels, but evertime I try ... well I don't get very far.  I will start again with the HD version of this.  If I cant find it on my system I will let you know.

Thanks

Dave

galacticprobe

Apr 26, 2012, 07:53 pm #10 Last Edit: Apr 26, 2012, 07:59 pm by galacticprobe
Dave, can you make any use from parts of one of these?

pic-02.jpg

pic-10.jpg

pic-17.jpg

pic-06.jpg

These are about the most straight-on, detailed photos I've got of the hexels as they appeared in the show. (The console blocks the best view of the walls. :P)

Dino.

13drwho

This is what I was thinking. This is a low resolution version (Site restrictions), but I have a 2297X2160 pixel version that I think looks pretty good. I did this all in photoshop.

roundel modification experiment color shift post.jpg

museumdave

Hey That is pretty good!,  May I ask for you to PM me a higher res version?

Thanks for sharing

Dave

galacticprobe

Apr 27, 2012, 04:38 pm #13 Last Edit: Apr 27, 2012, 04:39 pm by galacticprobe
Wow! :o That is amazing! Can I also get a high-res version? (My e-mail is in my profile.)

Dino.

galacticprobe

Jun 01, 2019, 08:12 pm #14 Last Edit: Jun 01, 2019, 08:12 pm by galacticprobe
I've got more info on these hexels posted in this topic: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=9721.msg119443#msg119443.

It should help (and avoid double-posting images - which I can always do if there is demand for it).

Dino.