Apr 24, 2024, 04:36 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hartnell Pull-To-Open Door

Started by deck5, Oct 15, 2012, 02:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

deck5

Oct 15, 2012, 02:58 am Last Edit: Oct 15, 2012, 03:08 am by deck5
Just finished the frame for this sign -- paint and hinges to follow.

hartnellsign.jpg

warmcanofcoke

Nice work. ;) Do you have a specific episode look you are shooting for?
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Madouc

:) This makes me smile, because while drawing the plans for mine, I wasted sooooo many time to check what I felt wrong with the hinges... It opens inwards in the TV show  ;D
Je suis le Docteur! Je suis pire que n'importe quelle tatie!

warmcanofcoke

Push to open..?? :P :D ;D well it still looks like some fine craftsmanship you have there.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

deck5

Thanks; going to paint the frame white, so I guess the target is An Unearthly Child, the unaired pilot!

deck5

Quote from: Lisarchange on Oct 15, 2012, 09:35 am
It opens inwards in the TV show  ;D

The main doors open inward on the show, but this little door with the phone behind it opens outward.

T-Storm

Where are the details on how you made this? I'm wanting a distressed/weathered sign for my build and would love to know how you achieved this.

deck5

Oct 17, 2012, 04:47 pm #7 Last Edit: Oct 17, 2012, 05:19 pm by deck5
Straightforward, really.  I printed the sign on normal printer paper with a laser printer, spray-glued it with 3M Super 77 to the back of a 3/16" thick clear plastic sheet, and burnished it down well where the letters are printed.  Once the spray glue dried, I wet the paper and carefully rubbed away layers until mostly just the text remained.  Once dry, I spray-painted the back (where the paper had been) a slightly off-white.

The front was weathered by a repeated technique of a light spray of acrylic clear matte spray, followed by brown and black acrylic paint pigment powder sprinkled on top before the spray fully dries, and then rinsed off.  With this technique a small amount of the pigment remains in the spots of acrylic spray, producing fairly convincing grime.  Once a sufficient layer of this grime was built up, I sanded certain places back using a Magic Eraser.

galacticprobe

Oct 17, 2012, 07:32 pm #8 Last Edit: Oct 17, 2012, 07:32 pm by galacticprobe
You call that "straightforward"? :o Too bad you didn't take photos of it as you went through the steps. (Or did you?) That alone would have made a great build diary, and a step by step tutorial to boot!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Volpone

I was fairly proud of my admittedly simple weathering techniques...until a recent issue of "WIRED" magazine, where Adam Savage from "Mythbusters" was talking about the weathering he was doing on an "Alien" space helmet:  "First I sprayed it down with a copper base, before adding seven layers of moss green, then a light scouring with 000 steel wool and an acid wash using 7% acetic acid..." (paraphrased). 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

deck5

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 17, 2012, 07:32 pm
You call that "straightforward"?

Well, yes.  Two steps -- get the text on the plastic, then make the plastic dirty.  The spray glue part is an old trick that works pretty well.  The dirt part is also quite simple -- just as described, spray a bit of clear spray on, sprinkle dark powder on, hold under running water.  Repeat until grimy.

deck5

Found the time to finish this!  Here it is next to its much younger cousin.

Photo1.jpg

hb88banzai

galacticprobe

Oct 27, 2012, 07:01 pm #13 Last Edit: Oct 27, 2012, 07:01 pm by galacticprobe
I have to agree with hb. I may have said this before, but I'll say it again: Deck5, you are one seriously talented person! These PTO doors are beautiful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Dino has expressed my feelings very well. Beautiful work!
Tony