Apr 20, 2024, 08:06 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Sonic Lance Prop

Started by 13drwho, Oct 14, 2012, 01:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

13drwho

Oct 14, 2012, 01:43 am Last Edit: Oct 14, 2012, 05:31 pm by 13drwho
I have just finished my Sonic Lance prop. I have made several before but none of them were quite right. I did this in 3d modeling software and had it 3d printed. Then I made a mold and cast the final version. Take a look and let me know what you think.

The Real Prop
100_1050.jpg

The 3d Model
lance 1.jpg

The Process
sonic lance build process post.jpg

The Final Prop
6th Doctor sonic lance post.jpg

galacticprobe

Oct 14, 2012, 03:42 pm #1 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2012, 03:42 pm by galacticprobe
Now that is nice. Very nice!

I'd love to learn more about this 3-D Printing. It might make for a nice article in the Tutorials Section.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

13drwho

The 3d printing (sometimes called Rapid Prototyping) is exactly what it sounds like. Basically they print layers of a plastic on top of each other to form a 3d model. All they need is a digital 3d model from something like SolidWorks, ProE, or Google Sketch Up. You basically make the model in the 3d software and send them a file that they print out.

I was pointed to the printing company on the Replica Prop Builders Forum. The name of the company is SHAPEWAYS. In this case I had one printed and then from that model I made a mold.

I hope this answers your question. 3d printing is really an amazing resource for prop and model builders. By the way, Google Sketch Up is free.

galacticprobe

Oct 15, 2012, 01:18 pm #3 Last Edit: Oct 15, 2012, 01:19 pm by galacticprobe
Thanks for the explanation. Yes; that does answer my questions. I've seen and heard a lot of people using 3-D Printing, but never knew how they went about it because they never really said. I've never played with Google Sketch Up before. I might have to give it a try. Is 3-D Printing expensive? (If you can't answer that here, or don't feel comfortable doing so, you could always answer via PM.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

andrewandmorph

cool, I really want to make one, how did you do the 3d modle? cause i've tried making it on google earth but my attempets faied
come on Ace we've got work to do

13drwho

I used a software called SolidWorks. It an excellent software and it will export to the STL file that companies like Shapeway use for there 3D printing.

13drwho

Rough dimensions as requested by galacticprobe.

sonic lance dimensions.jpg

galacticprobe

Feb 09, 2013, 05:45 am #7 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2013, 05:45 am by galacticprobe
Many thanks, The Jason!

Dino.

13drwho

Your welcome. I look forward to pictures of yours.