News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Junk Mail Robot Satellite

Started by davidnagel, Oct 12, 2012, 11:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davidnagel

Oct 12, 2012, 11:17 pm Last Edit: Apr 09, 2016, 12:26 am by davidnagel
Howdy

For everyone's use, and mainly to keep myself in check (because I actually intend to build this thing one day) here is some reference shots and plans for the Junk Mail Robot as seen in "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy" (1988)

greatestshow_junkmailrobot.jpg

Here is Mike Tucker's original design concept

MTucker_RobotConcept1.jpg

and dimensions

MTucker_RobotDimensions.jpg

Here's the model version of the thing as it appeared in the cut scenes included on the DVD.

DWGSG_cut.jpg

I hope to include a download of the sound effect the robot makes when it arrives in the TARDIS.

By the way, who did the voice of the robot in episode one? I cannot find any credit reference.
Regards
David

davidnagel

Oct 12, 2012, 11:29 pm #1 Last Edit: Oct 13, 2012, 09:13 am by Scarfwearer
Here's a snap of it in studio, behind the scenes. I think thats Gary Downie in the stripey trousers there?

DWGSG_studio1.jpg

And finally the shots from the programme:

DWGSG_1.jpg
DWGSG_2.jpg
DWGSG_3.jpg

Close up of the connector, possibly a metal can lid?
DWGSG_4.jpg

DWGSG_5.jpg
Regards
David

davidnagel

Regards
David

Rassilons Rod

Is that why the console suddenly gained a post office jack? (Hmm... is it there or somewhere else?)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

davidnagel

I've just glanced at reference shots from the various episodes and the connection that this robot adjoins isn't present. This space is actually blank.

Unless an expert on the 80s console can confirm otherwise?
Regards
David

DoctorWho8

It was only added on for this story.  It was then removed as it wasn't on the console in Battlefield.  I think it was probably on there with double stick tape.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

davidnagel

Thanks for confirming DoctorWho8.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but in the close-to-head-looking-up-at-console shot, it looks like the robot head has duck tape around the middle?

I'm curious as to what the original body shapes are, because both have lines across them. The head is most prominent as it looks like a failed attempt to be a moving mouth. I wonder what stock hemis this was made from?
Regards
David

rustymetaldog

Hey, I'm thinking the head and body look suspiciously similar to Red Dwarfs Starbug. May explain the weird marks for the mouth, ie could be an old cockpit detail of the windscreen, sprayed over? Mike Tucker had loads of Starbugs in various states, might've been a good way to repurpose one. Anybody else think this is feasible?
Build high for happiness :)

Rassilons Rod

Oct 28, 2012, 08:15 pm #8 Last Edit: Oct 28, 2012, 08:15 pm by rassilonsrod
Interesting hypothesis, I would suggest, though, that it's more likely the other way around though. Perhaps Starbug could have started out life here...

Starbug first appeared in Red Dwarf III (14th November 1989) and Greatest Show episode 1 aired 14th December 1988, 11 months earlier..
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

http://www.thepropgallery.com/junk-mail-robot-filming-miniature-the-greatest-show-in-the-galaxy
QuoteDoctor Who

Junk mail robot filming miniature - The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

An original miniature used in the production of the long running BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who.

From the 1988 serial The Greatest Show in the Galaxy starring Sylvester McCoy as The Doctor this is the large scale filming miniature of the junk mail robot which appears in the TARDIS in episode one. This miniature was built by BBC Visual Effects Department assistant Mike Tucker for shots of the robot approaching the TARDIS in space, although this effects sequence was filmed it does not appear in the final cut of the serial however it is presented as an extra on the DVD release. The miniature is constructed from EMA plastic and sheeting with a weathered paint finish and features lights to the top dome which are wired through the centre of the prop, the cable having been cut within the base after filming, also concealed inside the base is a mounting point used to rig the miniature for filming.

The miniature stands approximately 9.5" high and measures 5" x 5" at the base. It remains in generally excellent production used condition.

An incredibly rare and displayable example of an original filming miniature from this cult science fiction series.

dw-tgsitg-bts_01.jpgdw-tgsitg-bts_02.jpgdw-tgsitg-sc_01.jpgdw-tgsitg-sc_02.jpgjunkmailr.jpgjunkmailr2.jpgjunkmailr2-2.jpgjunkmailr-3.jpgjunkmailr-4.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

davidnagel

Thats so cool, thanks for sharing Nate!
Regards
David