Stencil Experiment

Started by warmcanofcoke, Oct 12, 2012, 08:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Maybe one is Trial of a Timelord?

Rassilons Rod

No, my bad. They're both Trial sets. :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

Dec 08, 2012, 02:15 pm #47 Last Edit: Dec 08, 2012, 08:07 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: Elvis Gump on Dec 08, 2012, 06:28 am
This might be easier on you if you would try silk screen printing instead of all these frisket style masks. There's probably in every town on Earth someone who silkscreens t-shirts that could make the screen for you for less than the money and time you've spent on all these experiments so far.

I tried my hand at screen printing once .... it was a disaster.

I want to feel the pride of doing something myself. I'm not looking down on Screen Printing, or if anyone wants to use this as an option for making their signs. I just feel good that I was able to make something with my own two hands.

As for Price, I haven't looked into the cost of screen printers. The plastic I use was all fished out of a Dumpster, so no cost there. I did my own market research on spray paint, and Paper/card ... so I suppose that was expensive, but the rest of the effort was mostly time. I Don't see Tardis building as a chore, I see it as a way I can unwind from work.

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Dec 08, 2012, 08:20 am
Good Grief, Nate... You have TWO TARDIS Trial VHS sets? :D

I use the tins for storing various stuff. One has Tom Baker on the bottom, one has Sylvester McCoy, at one time I wanted to have a set of all the Doctors.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

for the paper I now use Bristol Board paper
IMG_0121A.jpg
it's pretty sturdy and cuts much easier that the card I used to use.
to make sure each panel is identical I placed new sheets of plastic over the previos one to aline the letters as I glued them in place.
IMG_0119A.jpg

Elvis Gump

There used to be a product, maybe by 3M back in the 80s that I used in college that you could load into a toner style copier and after you had make either black and white line art or ChartPack letters or even a drawing you could load it into the tray, put your artwork on the copier glass and "copy" it to the silk screen sheet. The heat of the copier would make the 'black' area stick to the peel-off part and so you would pull it apart like an old-fashioned Polaroid and instant silkscreen. We used to use them in all sorts of way - spray fabric paint through them to actually silk-screening stuff. We used in the college print shop and it was great. I can't seem to find anything like it Googling, but I did find this.
http://www.advancedscreenprintsupply.com/store/screen_printing_inkjet_film.htm

Still, this is the sort of thing you would probably be better off getting a screen-printer to do for you if you'd like it look crisp. It's VERY low bar to learn how to do I swear to you if you want to do it yourself.

If you feel comfortable cutting out all the letters there is an alternative to use with the spray pay and that's frisket film. The problem is it's a one-off sort of thing. It's basically a big sheet of mildly adhesive tape that you will probably destroy and make unusable removing afterward.
http://www.michaels.com/All-Purpose-Frisket-Film/fa0615,default,pd.html

Either way I think you'd get much crisper lettering.

warmcanofcoke

Dec 10, 2012, 05:19 am #50 Last Edit: Dec 10, 2012, 05:24 am by warmcanofcoke
Ah, this sounds like very useful advice. Frisket film sounds like the sort of material I should have investigated before I made my signs. I still have a set of signs to make for my freind's Box. I'll see if I can find some frisket film.
IMG_0124A.jpg
IMG_0125A.jpg
IMG_0127A.jpg
IMG_0130A.jpg