Fan Fic Doctor Who Series - TARDIS Console & Control Room Build

Started by whovian-almighty, Oct 08, 2012, 09:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whovian-almighty

Oct 08, 2012, 09:06 pm Last Edit: Apr 25, 2013, 10:59 pm by whovian-almighty
Hello fellow TARDIS builders!

Thought I'd better announce what I'm doing :) I've recently decided to pluck up the courage to attempt the 11th Doctor's TARDIS Console, but not just that! but his TARDIS Console Room too!
I've had a console previously but it was stuck in my bedroom, because of the size I didn't have much room, my previous builds were pretty...rubbish  :P So this time I wanted to build a console that had featured in the TV Series rather than creating my own, I found creating my own console I never knew what to put on it, but replicating an on screen console should be easier...I think o_O so I decided from there to build the 11th Doctor's TARDIS Console. My plan was to build a shed in the back garden, a decent size to fit in a console, and to have TARDIS Doors on the front, giving room for 2 or more people to walk around the console with no obstruction. After finalizing the cost of building the shed from scratch I decided it might be best to just buy one.
So last week it arrived! my 12foot by 8foot shed, big enough for what I want it for, I will not be putting the shed doors on but instead the police box doors to really give the TARDIS that effect. Here I hit the first problem...When dad fetched out one panel and I stood next to it I was taller than the panel...I'm 5'4 and the panel is only 4'10 so a trip to B&Q to buy some wood to expand the panels to 6 foot has proven a success! so with 1 panel done we only have another 9 to go...yaay!

The Console, I haven't started the console just yet but I have started collecting parts, there are things on the 11th Doctor's console which you just can't get hold of and even if you did, it will cost you an arm and a leg. So I will be making the majority of levers. At this moment I currently have completed or at least almost completed, A Typewriter (not Olympia but it will do!) the Bullet Shape Dust Caps from the Atom Accelerator, the phone, the big de-mat lever, the red & black levers (only working on the 1 at the moment) the white forwards and backwards levers and the monitor and 6 Perspex pieces for the panels. I have plenty of junk which I'll be putting together to make other things from! tomorrow I should be starting the doors :D but here I leave you with some pictures :)

please note these are a working progress! for pictures like the scanner I just put it together for you guys to see roughly how it will look :)

1016_4484313901518_1584753331_n.jpg
47136_4484337262102_1490971610_n.jpg
524922_4484324421781_800527535_n.jpg
524960_4484354142524_705860905_n.jpg
550510_4484316301578_1326704295_n.jpg
643903_4484319981670_1778185476_n.jpg

thanks for looking and stay tuned!
So, all of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever will, where do you want to start?

galacticprobe

Oct 09, 2012, 04:37 am #1 Last Edit: Oct 09, 2012, 04:38 am by galacticprobe
You're off to a great start. And you've managed to get hold of the elusive blue bullet valve cover from the Atom Accelerator! Amazing! Those levers are looking pretty darned good as well. Good luck with the build. I can't wait to see more.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

As much as I hate this console design, I wish you the very best of luck with your build and I can't wait to see the results.
Regards
David

warmcanofcoke

Magnificent idea -if you can't find the parts : build them yourself. I love your ingenuity. Can't wait to see more. Excellent Start.World Class.

Warmcanofcoke
aka
Nate
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

whovian-almighty

Thanks guys for the support! I really do appreciate it!  :)

Update! I've started work on the TARDIS Doors, I've got the paneling for one side of 1 door as I'm having the doors paneled on both side like the 11th Doctor's TARDIS :) and what a great place to run out of wood with the window bars  :P
weather is set to be decent for Friday & Saturday so we might be able to get the shed up!  ;D although my trust in the weather is very little, I hope it will be decent!  :)

thanks for looking!

253125_4493932021965_1559270236_n.jpg
So, all of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever will, where do you want to start?

DoctorWho8

Oct 10, 2012, 07:45 pm #5 Last Edit: Oct 10, 2012, 07:53 pm by DoctorWho8
I'm not sure how good your wood building skills are or what equipment you have, but the best way to do the double sided paneling is to make the doors and walls like cabinets.  Here's an illustration on how it would go together.
Side view
Door Paneling.jpg

Front view
Door Paneling Front.jpg

It's similar to making raised panel cabinets, except you don't need to bevel the panel inserts.

Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

whovian-almighty

Oct 10, 2012, 08:44 pm #6 Last Edit: Oct 10, 2012, 08:44 pm by whovian-almighty
the plan was to make this frame work 4 times, 2 for out 2 for in, add some 6mm ply between, I'm limited on tools, I only use what my dad has, after months of planning, designing, measuring I came to the conclusion that it would be the easiest way :) the windows & frams are seperate and are not glue in, they will be added once everything is built and painted :)

the mister

Love that typewriter. and i'm impressed with the monitor. you're building the room? you're crazy!

whovian-almighty

Quotethe mister

Love that typewriter. and I'm impressed with the monitor. you're building the room? you're crazy!

Crazy? why thank you  ;D

I got some wood today and was able to get work done on the TARDIS Doors, yippee  :D
The weather for Friday & Saturday is 'supposed' to be nice...we shall see about that, I'm hoping it will be so we can finally assemble the shed :D the only problem I keep hitting is typical British weather  ::) and there's probably a reason to why people don't buy sheds in autumn...the weather isn't good enough to put it up  :-[ but still! KBO!  ;D

whovian-almighty

Howdy Whovians!

I've got good news, good news and good news, which would you like to hear?

well the good news is the Shed is finally up! and the only words I can really put into context is OH MY GOD SHES MASSIVE! it looks even bigger on the inside than it does on the outside! very TARDISY  ;)

the other good news is that we have started boarding inside the shed, I'm not keeping it the boring shed panels inside, it will be completely boarded out and be painted! :)

and lastly the good news, I've almost finished the doors! Posts are ones I had built for the actual police box but managed to tweak them to fit the shed, police box had to be tweaked but that's done now and repainted, both doors are almost done, they have been painted blue one side, the windows are done they just need the glass and painting, it's really coming on nicely! I'm very happy indeed :D just need another strip of wood to complete the paneling on the inside then they will be completely done :D well for the building part  ;D here are some piccys :D

make her blue again! - 548711_4548459465117_126914912_n.jpg
beautiful blue! and maintained the texture of the wood perfect for the 11th doctor's tardis!
test fit for the windows :) 530711_4548461505168_9735170_n.jpg
254342_4548464105233_732931703_n.jpg

DoctorWho8

Love that blue.  What did you use for it?

whovian-almighty

QuoteLove that blue.  What did you use for it?

I used spray paint from my local DIY shop, It doesn't say what the type of blue it is but it's a hell lot easier than hand painting with a brush!  :P I've got some outdoor varnish that I'll be applying to protect the wood, my reason for using spray paint is if I was to hand paint with a paint brush id get paint brush lines, and the amounts of coats it would take to cover Id loose the wood grain texture, spray paint keeps the grain of the wood  :)

and Thank you very much!

DoctorWho8

It definitely is close to the Subaru paint the 2010 props have used. Got a name brand for that DIY paint?

whovian-almighty

Shed galore!

Well here are some piccys of the shed all up, I started to work on the doors today, The posts and police box sign are fixed in place now and the doors have been put on their hinges :D always a special moment opening and closing the doors  ;D you can also see the double paneled doors, the inside isn't finished as it's missing 1 section, what do you all think? :)

66570_4582183628200_1648161493_n.jpg
546775_4581977143038_1661605533_n.jpg
553687_4581566372769_1551068780_n.jpg
320403_4581557732553_1175100927_n.jpg

DoctorWho8