Apr 20, 2024, 04:14 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hartnell/Cushing mash-up design in Sketch-Up

Started by handofomega, Oct 03, 2012, 07:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

handofomega

Oct 03, 2012, 07:43 pm Last Edit: Nov 21, 2012, 12:14 am by Scarfwearer
Been a while since I have posted anything.  Real life always getting in the way...    ;)    But here is a version of the Hartnell console room done with bits from the 2nd Peter Cushing film.   Enjoy!

CushingHartnell.jpg

CushingHartnell0.jpg

CushingHartnell1.jpg

CushingHartnell2.jpg

CushingHartnell3.jpg

CushingHartnell4.jpg

CushingHartnell5.jpg

CushingHartnell6.jpg

CushingHartnell7.jpg

type63

Wow! That's great!
How did you do the roundels? Also how do you make sure all the roundels are the same size?

handofomega

Well...  Not all of them are the same size.   The ones on the console and on the door to more of the interior are small than the ones on the walls.   But it just comes down to finding the correct measurement for the area and writing down the measurement so you can keep doing the same size all the time.  My wife is constantly upset with me because of the growing amount of notes I keep piled by the computer, LOL.    ;D

Vale

Not bad at all. Much as I dislike the Cushing interiors these have a certain retro "jury-rigged" charm... and I like the cut-out roundels, they're a nice touch.

handofomega

All I do to make the roundels is to make a circle in the area I want to make one in and then push it into the wall to the depth I want it at.   As for how it looks like a actual roundel, I used a picture to make a texture from and then just adjusted where it was on the depressed circle.  Piece of cake ;)

Mark

Nice work.

I too was never a big fan of the Cushing interior mainly because as a young child it wasn't "the proper TARDIS" that I was expecting.

This version you have made is a great balance between tv and film.

Have you made the big red lever?

warmcanofcoke

very nice work! I can hear the Peter Cushing sound effects when I look into the room. Very Clever stuff.  :o
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Oct 04, 2012, 05:23 am #7 Last Edit: Oct 04, 2012, 05:33 am by galacticprobe
Wow! Innovation at its best. I love the mix of old, new, and new concepts as well as the classic console room look with the added wood components. (And since I'm a bit insane, and I know this will probably get some sort of reaction from Scott...)

Since there are two of those equipment consoles with the large blue light on top, why not make one of them a wooden console along the lines of a visual scanner similar to Witchiepoo's:

witchiepoo02.jpg  witchiepoo03.jpg

I admit that without having any of the DVDs on hand, there is no way to get a good shot of what funky controls there were on this thing, but the series is available on Netflix and in it you can see this "viewer" has the same basic size and shape as those cabinste with the blue lights on them. And what's the harm with throwing a little goofiness into the mix? (Especially when I used Google Images to find these the search also brought up a few Doctor Who images, both Classic and New Series as well! Go figure that one! And yes; these were the only images of this thing I could find.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

handofomega

BTW, that version of Hartnell in the room is not something I downloaded.  I moded one of the figures they have available in the Sketch-Up program.  I think they refer to him as Bryce.

handofomega

Here are a couple of other shots:

The lab off the console room

CushingHartnell8.jpg

And an overhead shot of the whole set up

CushingHartnell9.jpg

rob49152

I really like what you've done here. The feeling is a perfect match of the Cushing and Hartnell rooms. If they had done this for the movies I'd have been happy.  And what you've done with the console is perfect.

handofomega

Thank you Rob.  Coming from you this means a lot

warmcanofcoke

looking at it from above I had one of those Star Trek themed type flashbacks - when you return to the TARDIS how do you know where the guy who ran in first has gone. Prefect for stowaways and those guys who creep up from behind and karate chop you in the neck. =P - In all seriousness it is a really fine ship you have there, and just needs a couch and a space-time visualizer to make it a home. Love the Lab.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

jezmiller

The first thing I thought of when I saw this was the Meddling Monk. The console design is very much "of the era" of the sixties, yet it's visibly a more elegant and more advanced variation of Hartnell's console - very cleverly done. My eye was drawn to the base unit, in particular; the way it melds organically with the control panels is much more stylish than the sitting-on-a-box arrangement that was the default prior to the Five Doctors console, and I really like your innovation of implanting roundels in the base - I notice you used that in that stunning wooden primary console room that you created, as well.

With the sole exception of the Rani, the BBC never had the time or budget to create proper variant TARDIS interiors. They stuck the Monk's console on a dais, or gave the Master a silver time rotor and a different doorway in the Time Monster, or black walls and trim in Planet of Fire, but you could see it was just the same set slightly re-dressed. Have you ever thought of applying this "more advanced yet consistent with the style of the time" approach to the supposedly more advanced TARDISes that we've seen other Time Lords use?

handofomega

Oct 06, 2012, 12:26 pm #14 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2012, 12:28 pm by handofomega
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Oct 05, 2012, 09:39 pm
In all seriousness it is a really fine ship you have there, and just needs a couch and a space-time visualizer to make it a home. Love the Lab.

CushingHartnell10.jpg

Sorry, the couch was hidden behind one of the pieces of equipment.    I am working on a space-time visualizer, but I haven't got it to a point I am happy with.   Glad you like the lab!   Working on some odds and ends to place in it.   Also thinking of making another similar alcove on the other side of the room...