can someone tell me what monitor
they use for the console
many thanks

warmcanofcoke

Sep 23, 2012, 02:45 am #1 Last Edit: Sep 23, 2012, 02:59 am by warmcanofcoke
if I read this right you are looking for the 2005 Console monitor
bees_zps0e569f7f.jpg
Jack_zpsbb4b5518.jpg

It doesn't look like a specific monitor - probably 17/19 inch and it has a frontispiece facade to obscure the make and model. Though it does look like an older flat panel because it doesn't look like it is a widescreen or panoramic.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Sep 23, 2012, 06:00 am #2 Last Edit: Oct 16, 2012, 04:56 am by galacticprobe
There's a nice almost head-on shot of the monitor here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2634.0 (first post) and it's definitely not a wide-screen monitor. There is a label on the back of the monitor in one of the Eccleston era images http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=-362;topic=2634.0;attach=32982;image
(Eccleston console) but it pixelates too much when enlarged to see what it says. Also, it looks like the monitor may have been changed out sometime between Eccleston and Tennant as in the Eccleston image it has a silver back covering, and in a later Tennant era image http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=-362;topic=2634.0;attach=33022;image
(Tennant console) the monitor's back has a black cover (or has had the silver cover removed).

All in all, any flat panel LCD monitor would work well, and I think warmcanofcoke is pretty well spot on with the size of the monitor. (A monitor with a silver case might make for less work fabricating the odd zigzag frontispiece; you'd really only need to make the top that turns back a little, and bottom shelf that stick out in front.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Jun 28, 2014, 04:54 am #3 Last Edit: Jun 28, 2014, 05:20 am by museumdave
Hello All,

I don't know that any one is going to care much about this, but I have been examining reference images of the monitor / scanner frame and come p with some small points of difference.  So early on the frame had a more open box look to it.  If you look up at the bottom of the frame above the plastic version of Mickey's head you can see what I am referring to.underframe1.jpg

The later version seems to have a closed in bottom to it.

underframe2.jpg

Small detail, but it has a longer leather strap mounted to both the top and bottom of the front projection.
Later it is shorter and only mounted from underneath.  

Some times the top (rear) projection has some sort of knurled fastener in or near the top groove.
frame whatsit.jpg

There are also times when it seems that the mount is attached to a pivot right behind the Top/rear projection of the frame, framepivot.jpg

and other times when it looks like it is built in, though this maybe because of camera angles. the way it looks here

frame builtin pivot.jpg

I know these are really rather insignificant details on a console that never seemed to be the same two episodes in a row, but I found this a bit interesting and thought a couple of you might as well.

Be well

Cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Jun 28, 2014, 06:03 am #4 Last Edit: Jun 28, 2014, 06:13 am by galacticprobe
I can't believe I never noticed that open frame version before! :o (I must be losing my touch - or eyesight... hard to tell which at my age.) Nice catch on that open-type framework, M.D.! Might be the easier kind to build from scratch. (I wonder when that was replaced with the solid frame: before or after the silver cover came off the back of the monitor.)

That photo with Billie on the bench is early in the Tennant era; you can tell because the Gyro Compass Repeater is on the metal mesh panel with that switchboard the Doctor loved to bash with the mallet. That Repeater moved there between the end of "Parting of the Ways" and the minisode Children in Need special (before "The Christmas Invasion"). And in that photo the silver backing from Eccleston's run is still on the monitor.

Looking back at the other photos, that "top pivot" looks like it's there in all of them, possibly to help with the monitor tilt (so it didn't keep "drooping" downward after it was tilted up). The thing almost looks like a small pneumatic piston, but in this instance I'd guess it's just a friction-type of thing: one tube or rod/dowel tightly fitted inside a bit if PVC pipe, possibly with a felt lining to help with smooth movement. But it's definitely there in just about all of the photos where it's visible (even the dark ones when you lighten them).

I hope my thoughts on that Top Pivot are a little helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"