domvar

Sep 16, 2012, 10:03 pm Last Edit: Sep 30, 2012, 09:20 pm by domvar
dinkie restaurant ww2.jpg
Gen5.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Sep 17, 2012, 08:06 am #1 Last Edit: Sep 17, 2012, 08:11 am by rassilonsrod
I think the bottom one is here...

HighgateRoad.jpg
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Highgate+Road,+London,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=51.561538,-0.150563&spn=0.000603,0.001206&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=51.222969,79.013672&oq=highgate+road&t=h&hq=Highgate+Road,&hnear=London,+United+Kingdom&z=20&layer=c&cbll=51.561506,-0.150761&panoid=J57bZBIVGMOSJeLK9gwTlQ&cbp=12,297.94,,0,-1.87

It's a bit hard to be sure, but behind the round street sign is a roundel window and the two balconies match. On Googlemaps, it looks like a wide oval... Does Googlemaps do weird things like that?
roundel window.jpg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

hb88banzai

Sep 17, 2012, 08:37 am #2 Last Edit: Sep 17, 2012, 09:02 am by hb88banzai
Yep, found this a few days ago, just haven't had a chance to pull things together and post it yet. Box Y24...

Y24    Box       01-Apr-34    16 Oct 70    Northeast corner of junction of Highgate West Hill and Swains Lane    Highgate

EDIT: Just posted it to the database - thanks for the push.

petewilson

This topic has sprung back into life and is excellent!
That Colour Screen Grab is from that great 1953 movie "GENEVIEVE"  and a the whole london race can be seen here (Some great relics of 1950's London!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Wgiv_I2TkNc

Pete

hb88banzai

Sep 17, 2012, 09:54 am #4 Last Edit: Sep 17, 2012, 09:55 am by hb88banzai
Yes, great film.

According to at least one source, many of the London street scenes in Genevieve were filmed around Pinewood Studios for budget reasons. Might be a good place to start.

Dalekoracle

The Genevieve box is believed to be out on Edgeware Road.
Pinewood Studios is in a semi rural location (near Iver Heath) and whilst a number of local locations were used for the scenes of the race, the filming took place across London.
Indeed the box appears twice in the sequence, at .07 seconds from the start of the clip and again at 1.16.
Nice to see so many box locations identified, and so many listings correlating with the Police Box map on Google.

domvar

Sep 17, 2012, 08:54 pm #6 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2012, 09:21 pm by domvar
Well done, here are a few more ;D

airaidpolicebox.jpg
No message is associated with this attachment.
Image11.jpgNo message is associated with this attachment.

hb88banzai

Sep 18, 2012, 12:58 am #7 Last Edit: Sep 18, 2012, 01:04 am by hb88banzai
Yeah, there's a whole rogue's gallery of not-yet identified (though in some cases it's just a matter of not yet input) Boxes - this just touches the surface, really.

On that first one in the latest batch, there is a bit more to the picture that might help identify the location --

$(KGrHqJ,!jYE-dhyoBTiBPy1W-)OWw~~60_12.JPG

The one with the bus should be able to be tracked down with a little leg work, but it would be nice to have a pic without the watermark right over the image of the Box itself  :(

On the last one, The Chase box - that's an interesting one.

At first I thought it might be something in the vicinity of where the rest of the pictures were taken for that montage (mostly in Trafalgar Square or the Victoria Embankment, I believe), but the only Box that's in the immediate area (unless I missed it) was the one at the Charing Cross Tube Station on the Embankment, which the mini-story itself seemed to actually point to. Unfortunately, that's definitely not the Box they used, for whatever reason.

Next I thought it might be something close to BBC Centre and tracked down that Box, at first thinking it looked promising until I went back to pictures from that period and saw things looked very different due to it fronting on The White Stadium instead of a park-like area as it is now. So, still haven't found The Chase Box, but in the process found a long, long, long shot of the Box that very well may have given the inspiration for using the Police Box form for the TARDIS shell in the first place, being as The White Stadium Box was only about 300 yards from BBC Centre at the time, literally right down the street. I'll post that one later tonight.

Anybody have any more clues on the general area those pictures for The Chase were snapped?

hb88banzai

Well, that was easier than I thought it would be. The one with the 37 Bus is T67 at the foot of Richmond Bridge. I'll post later tonight, but if anybody has a better picture (ie, without the watermark on the image of the Box itself) please post it.

Rassilons Rod

"Ian and Barbara spot a real police box." Doctor Who Locations Guide suggests 'Bayswater Road'.

http://www.doctorwholocations.net/locations/bayswaterroad
Public Enema Number One.

hb88banzai

You are awesome! Thank you.

That would make it F13. Looks like an exact match. Change in level of wall (though they've added a fence above the wall), change in fence line further down, BT Phone Kiosk proximity - even the air raid siren is still there.

Will post in a few.

Rassilons Rod

No problem, glad to be of help :)
Public Enema Number One.

domvar

Few more for the to-do list

reallifedinkytoy.jpg
sm img419.jpg
town centre.jpg
wood green or kingston.jpg
vlcsnap-2012-01-19-21h40m00s207.png

kiwidoc

That last one below the IN sign was discussed recently and it's an entrance gate to Scotland Yard I think wasn't it?
- Glen

Mark

You are right Glen, it was outside the original Scotland Yard building.

The third one up is one that I would really like to find out about. Been bugging me for ages and the one above that looks to have something very peculiar going of inside the lamp lens.

I don't have them to hand but don't the Met Box location lists have notes that mention whether there was an air raid siren attached to the pox, if so that may help to narrow down the picture with the workmen.