The TARDIS coral parts have been confirmed by Ed Thomas to be...

Started by whovian-almighty, Sep 09, 2012, 05:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whovian-almighty

Just found this video where at 6:00 Ed Thomas confirms the Coral of the TARDIS to be...Roofing Insulation, he says, and I quote 'This is a metal structure, covered in cling film and this is roofing insulation that we've sprayed on' so there we have it, for those who are building a 9th, 10th or 11th Doctor's TARDIS now you know what it is! I always had a feeling it was roofing insulation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3HC3Wl9UY8&feature=related
So, all of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever will, where do you want to start?

watcher

It is indeed.
I have a piece of the "coral" from one of the support structures, and you can clearly see it's insulation, and the back of it is ultra smooth where it was on the cling film.

galacticprobe

I wonder how difficult that stuff is to work with, and if you need to wear an X-Files' suit while doing it. Also how expensive it is and what size "cans" it comes in. ???

Has anyone used the stuff before (presumable on a roof, or even an outside wall)?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

I could be wrong- (and frequently am!), but I think it is basically the same stuff I tested out for my build.  The expanding spray foam insulation in a can stuff-  one brand is 'Great Stuff'....  I had trouble getting it to look quite right and was a little concerned with off gassing, but that may be it...maybe?

cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

The wife and I recently saw them using that spray foam insulation over a fine mesh screen on SyFy Channel's new 'Hot Set' series. As soon as they started spraying it and they showed the results close up the wife said "I think we've just seen how they made those TARDIS walls and console ribs!" on 'Hot Set' they used the spray gun application. The results were exactly like those in the TARDIS. (But then, the guys building their "hot set" painted it all black. Would have fit in as The Master's TARDIS, though, that black coral look.)

I've got some a couple of those spray cans of foam insulation that I've got to use on some house stuff, so I'll see what it does there (and maybe play around with what's left over, if any, to see what I can do with it).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

Regards
David

galacticprobe

Yep! That's the one! At least it gave some insight on how they "possibly" made the 2010 TARDIS console room walls since some light bleeds through them. And they probably used the same stuff on the console frames for the 2005 and 2010 consoles (and the 2005 console room buttresses).

Dino.

timerotor

Hi everyone - interesting thread this...

this curious finish is indeed, all over the Matt Smith 2012 set walls as well, they're  made of the same thing.
sprayed on  :)
get-attachment-2aspx-4.jpgget-attachment-3aspx-1.jpg
It was also on both consoles dividing the individual control panels and massively thick on the bases of both consoles.  It is easily snapped off - which is why there are barriers all around the displays of the sets and replica Matt smith 'ride' at The Doctor Who Experience Exhibitions.
MBH
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

whovian-almighty

wow some intresting pictures there! thanks for sharing :D
So, all of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever will, where do you want to start?