Mar 28, 2024, 04:26 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My TARDIS

Started by Yoz, Sep 05, 2012, 08:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

atomicgraph

congrats on getting a start on it, and you seem very enthusiastic about the build. nothing quite like looking at your finished tardis, its very fulfilling , and thinking yea i built that. which of the color swatches have you decided to paint it? good luck

Yoz

The TARDIS building can start off!!

Here is the tools Im using, including an electrical table making it possible to raise it up and down

IMG_0274.jpg

Lights is very important. Got special strong spotlights that I had to customise for this project. Temporary taped up in the ceiling. To fix it all to work took me quite some hours

IMG_0273.jpg

Ladders is also good to have around

IMG_0276.jpg

Videocamera is present for later YouTube videos
There is loads to share around this and there is loads to say about it.
Spontaniously I feel it can end up in a long series of videos instead of one long documentary. I imagine at least three at this point

IMG_0294.jpg

Here are all the wooden stuff for the project. Its MDF, plywood and raw timber

IMG_0302.jpg

and looooooong pieces for small parts to be cut later on

IMG_0278.jpg
TARDISbuilding is really Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff!

Yoz

Building process Day 1

Checking all parts, that they fit the plan and is accurate in size. To line out misscalculations and other problems. So far I found four

The Door Divider
Think it should raise a bit more above the doorframes. You almost see no diffrence here. I will see if I can solve it with left overs from the windowframes to place under it

IMG_0303.jpg

The Doorframes
Turned out to be bended making them wobbly, giving an unwanted gap in between them and the wall. Found a few that was flat and those is reserved for the front doors.
How to solve the rest is a question. I need to force them to attach as flat on the wall. Considering drilling from the back and put screws in the corners. Hope it will work

IMG_0290.jpg

This also clearly affect the attachment of the very perfect and flat levels that will be placed right above

IMG_0293.jpg

The Lamp House

Misscalculation of the top post not making the wall frame fit it. Easy to solve.
Just to cut a slightly bigger one out of the spare parts. A very good reason to keep spare parts!

IMG_0268.jpg

The Sign Boxes

Misscalculation of the little tiny piece that is to be placed on the side of each box. Need to cut off a tiny bit of those too.
This is the smallest wooden part of the project. The biggest is the doorwalls

IMG_0308.jpg

Yesterday I spent almost the whole day to measure out the frames on the door walls.
I learned to not cheat on that by laying them next to each other and draw a line based on the others lines.
In particular if the first was miscalculated!! I had to redo this a couple of times to really make sure its accurate.
Best way to do it is to take it individually wall by wall following exact measurement.
This was an issue about small mm's thats very essential later on when first cutting the window parts out and later to fit the frame around it!

IMG_0306.jpg

The building process will now continue....

Scarfwearer

Sep 30, 2012, 03:31 pm #33 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2012, 03:32 pm by Scarfwearer
This is looking great so far! You're much more organised about this than I was when I built mine. :) It's also traditional in TARDIS-building to have some pictures with a stepladder, so you're off to a good start.

Crispin

Mark

Ha! The step ladder, I'd forgot about that

Yoz

Oct 01, 2012, 10:48 pm #35 Last Edit: Oct 28, 2012, 03:43 pm by Yoz
Building process Day 2

The second day was reserved for sawing out the parts to place the windows. Easier than I thought and quite fun too actually.
The height adjustable working table is priceless. I would have killed my back quite fast if it wasnt for that

_MG_0777.jpg

At the end of day 2 all the window holes have been cut out and one wall got its frames.
On this image you see that some have a frame cutout at the opposite side below.
This is part of my customised design with the idea to allow the cat to enter it in floor level without open a door.
All walls thats made like this will get the wall behind back at a later point too look like a real Tardis without permanent holes that is not supposed to be there

IMG_0327.jpg

Yoz

Building process day 3

Screw identification! Today had to start off sorting all the screws
I realised yesterday I need loads of them and depending on their size they are good for diffrent purposes.
So I collected all I ever got, to easier see which screw I need when I need it, instead of searching for dear life not even knowing if there is more of the same kind

IMG_0330.jpg

It was years since I did that last time. Now nice and tidy

IMG_0331.jpg

Preparing cementbased building repare filler

IMG_0332.jpg

Fixing the corners

IMG_0333.jpg

Fooling around a bit...

IMG_0341.jpg

The moment it starts to look a bit towards a Tardis!

IMG_0344.jpg

Preparations for angle cut of the slanted parts of the base

IMG_0349.jpg

To use the electric saw for this was not a good idea, I had to do it by hand

IMG_0360.jpg

last status, To be continued...

IMG_0364.jpg

Scarfwearer

Your progress is looking great!

Quote from: Yoz on Oct 02, 2012, 12:35 am
Screw identification! Today had to start off sorting all the screws

I really must do that - I have boxes and boxes of mixed screws... I somehow never seem to get around to it.

Crispin

Yoz

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Oct 02, 2012, 10:10 am
Your progress is looking great!

Thanks, appreciate your comment. There isnt much comments on my work but I dont really know if these forums use to get loads of comments. All I can see is that it have over thousand views so obviously there is someone watching it....

Have loads of more updates today but need to keep working so it will be a two day retro report again as yesterday by tomorrow. Wondering why the forum have this 24 hour delay thingie for non members. Pity if you want to share it but someone who just want to see it but not become member have to wait for updates to apear....

Will now work with the last wall. The process with the wallls and framework around them really eats up loads of time!

galacticprobe

Oct 03, 2012, 05:05 am #39 Last Edit: Oct 03, 2012, 05:07 am by galacticprobe
Sometimes comments do start out slow, but they increase as your TARDIS build progresses. I love the way you've written "TARDIS" with the glue on the back of that door stile! Brilliant! When I can finally get to my build I'm definitely going to steal that idea from you! ;D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

evil bob

Wow! This is looking good. 
Your's is the cleanest workshop I've ever seen. Do you vacuum after each cut?  ;)

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: evil bob on Oct 03, 2012, 11:39 am
Your's is the cleanest workshop I've ever seen. Do you vacuum after each cut?  ;)

I noticed that too. It's a shame that my build is a bit off topic here really. The guy I'm working with to build my guitar is also very good with his workshop. Althouh we tend to do this stuff just BEFORE we work, rather than after... :D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Yoz

passed a few days with lack of updates. I have passed day 7 in building progress with almost all of the base made.  Now having a rest in three days as I have overworked myself. Good opportunity for sharing the progress up to date. As I share everything in cronological order I will continue here from day 4 and forward

Yoz

Quote from: evil bob on Oct 03, 2012, 11:39 am
Wow! This is looking good. 

lol evil bob and Rassilonsrod: I havent actually vacuumed at all since I started the whole thing off. But I have swiped the floor a few times. This is due to the workshop taking place in a regular appartment. I dont have access to any garage or outdoor environment. Originally planned to do all this at the attic but now out of experience I doubt that ever would have worked as that area is way smaller than this!

Yoz

Oct 06, 2012, 10:40 pm #44 Last Edit: Oct 28, 2012, 04:01 pm by Yoz
Building process Day 4

Adjusting the doorframes to look nice when the painting is due

IMG_0372.jpg

Tried to apply very spare of filler on later doors....

IMG_0373.jpg

...and not splashing it on as I did on earlier doors

IMG_0374.jpg

Preparing the doorsteps above the walls

IMG_0380.jpg

glue them together

IMG_0381.jpg

First time putting doors together to check measurement for the door divider
Oh no!! Its a gap in between!! I thought I had been careful on this part but obviously not!
I calmed down about this gap fast though as these are the front doors and having a gap there only making them easier to open

IMG_0385.jpg

A new problem. This is what happens when placing the steps above doors.... now we talking real gaps

IMG_0386.jpg

The door divider could be more thicker to raise a diffrence from the doors but I decided not to do anything about it at this point

IMG_0390.jpg

The door divider is too long when it fits the steps above so I had to cut off a little piece here

IMG_0391.jpg

First wall joined together

IMG_0396.jpg

and due to the huge gap to the steps above I was forced to do like this. Splashing filler big time.
Im sure I could had done it diffrently like turning the wobbly piece upside down which solved similuar issues later on

IMG_0397.jpg

Learning out of a mistake. This time doorwalls is planned and made permanent in pair, leaving the centre gap out under the door divider

IMG_0398.jpg

omg this REALLY doesnt look good... terrible misscalculation on some unknown part...

IMG_0399.jpg

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey frustration!!
if I had choosen MDF as I originally planned using as door frames I would NOT have this problem!!
But that would had suited the 2010 model and Im not making that one. Mine is supposed to look raggedy....

IMG_0400.jpg

eight parts of the doorframes was missing when coming to the last wall.
I realised fast it had to do with me forgotten to order these parts as I imagined them for the top of doors in diffrent size than the restLuckily again spare parts saved me

IMG_0406.jpg

First test of "kitty entrance door" the part is too big and have to be adjusted to fit in perfectly

IMG_0409.jpg

Main reason for cleaning the floor regularly. The cat walked in building dust making the paws turn out as white

IMG_0412.jpg

Still got day 5, 6, and 7 to share