Apr 26, 2024, 09:37 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Pump House Tardis

Started by johnnynb, Sep 05, 2012, 04:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnynb

Sep 05, 2012, 04:11 pm Last Edit: Sep 05, 2012, 04:53 pm by johnnynb
I just started to build a Tardis on the weekend as a cover for well head, pump and water tank at our Cottage in Erb's Cove NB.
We bought the Cottage late last summer and the pump and tank were just sitting on the ground.  This spring I build
a platform to get them up off the ground.  It just happens to be 4 foot square.  Pretty close to the size of a
Tardis.
pic1_pump_platform.jpg

I've noticed many of the build in this forum are almost pieces of furniture.   Mine is just a pump house so it will be a little simpler.
Here is the plan....
tarids_build_plan_v2.png

The first weekend was spent standing up and leveling the posts.  My platform is not level which makes setting up the walls a bit of a problem.  I decided to stand up the posts and level them then cut the plywood walls to fit the lopsided platform.  The rails for the wall panels will be built separately and installed on top of the plywood wall.

Here is a picture of the posts and headers for the door and signs.
pic2_posts.jpg

And, here is the result of adding the wall.  This is as far as I got the first weekend.
pic3_walls.jpg

Scarfwearer

What a great idea! Funnily enough I almost did this myself once.

BTW, the windows usually have six panes - not nine. :)

I was thinking about hooking it up so the lamp on the top flashes when the pump is operating - which might actually be useful.

Crispin

johnnynb

Sep 07, 2012, 10:08 pm #2 Last Edit: Sep 13, 2012, 07:40 pm by Scarfwearer
I have been working on the rails for the sides and back this week. I'm using 1x3's and attaching them together with wooden plugs.
I have the coolest jig for drilling the holes for the plugs.  It called the Pro-Centre from Lee Valley.  It really makes aligning the holes
an easy job.

drill_holes.jpg

Just mark each piece of wood with a centre line and line this jig up on the mark and drill.  Perfectly aligned holes everytime.
The tool is expensive but works like a charm.  

Here is the first set of rails all drilled, plugged, glued, clamped and being inspected by the dog.
first_rails.jpg

johnnynb

In addition to working on building the panel rails this week I started the roof.  So far I just have the first step framed up.
I'm saving cutting those trapezoid for when I'm feeling brave.
roof_frame.jpg

On the weekend we were up to the cottage and installed the panel rails on one side and the back.  We also started to paint
the box.  It's starting to cool off so I didn't want to wait too long to get a coat of paint on things.  Another couple weeks
and it will be too cold to paint outside. 

My helper priming the box.
helper_priming.jpg

The box with the side and back panel rails installed and starting to paint blue.
start_paint.jpg

Even without a roof this is starting to look like a tardis. 
finish_paint.jpg

johnnynb

On the weekend I got  the doors ready to assemble.  They are very similar to the sides with wooden peg holding the panel rails together.
The real test was the roof panels.  The plan was to cut each side of the trapezoid with a 10 degree bevel.   This should give me a 2.5 inch rise
across a 17 inch run.  A kindly fellow I work with built a half size prototype for me and sure enough 10 degrees was perfect.

My first attempt was a miserable failure.  I found the panels too big for cross cutting on the table saw so I resorted to using
the old blunt instrument.... a circular saw.  I ended up with four panel just slightly different sizes.   

So back to the table saw and building a cross cut jig.  I happen to have a piece of flat steel that just fit into the table saw
slots.  Long flat steel, a piece of oak, and a few screw and  one simple but workable jig has been created.
tardis_jig2.jpg

I tried out one test cut tonight and it works like a charm.... tomorrow the roof!!!
tardis_jig3.jpg

warmcanofcoke

really nice build - I remember you talking about this project. Very cool to see it come to life.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

johnnynb

Oct 07, 2012, 11:39 am #6 Last Edit: Oct 07, 2012, 11:42 am by johnnynb
My fancy jig for cutting the roof panels was a complete bust.  Cutting 40" panels on a crappy table saw is just a pain.
I gave up on the table saw and went out to buy a new blade for the skill saw.  The result wasn't too bad.
The 10 degrees on the edges was just about right for this roof.

roof3sm.jpg

Under the panels I ran "rafters" from the corners to the center box.
roof2sm.jpg

And, finally I have a roof. Assuming the weather is better tomorrow I will take a trip to the cottage
for the install.

roof5sm.jpg

Senseidale

I do like the cutting jig you have made for your roof been having issues there my self, I did try a few goes at cutting the roof panels on scrap to test out my rig up without success, I will try your approach now
looking good the blue is spot on
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

johnnynb

New coat of paint and all the top signs complete.  Looks like new.

new_paint_signs.jpg

johnnynb

Oct 05, 2017, 04:50 pm #9 Last Edit: Oct 05, 2017, 04:50 pm by johnnynb
After five years I am finally working on the top signs.

I used the photo application "gimp" to make PNG files of the top signs.  And, used "posterzor" (linux app) to
created multipage PDF files for printing.  My signs are 42​" wide so I tried a couple different sizes.
I settled on 32​" for the lettering.
sign_posters.jpg

I painted the signs black and then covered them with masking tape and the poster print-out.
Then very carefully cut the each letter using a x-acto knife.  Then, white spray paint and finally
a dusting of clear coat.  

The sign box was made from 1x3 with a few notches to fit around the side posts.
top_sign_empty.jpg

And.... the final result.
top_sign_finished.jpg

bil51

Dec 13, 2017, 01:13 pm #10 Last Edit: Dec 13, 2017, 01:18 pm by bil51
It's great to see a fellow Maritimer with a TARDIS.  Good job. :)door.JPG