Mar 29, 2024, 03:28 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1/24 scale father-daughter TARDIS build

Started by bellerophon, Sep 03, 2012, 09:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bellerophon

Sep 03, 2012, 09:50 pm Last Edit: Sep 03, 2012, 10:10 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi, I'm brand new here but thought this was the place to be as my daughter Sylvia and I are in the midst of scratchbuilding a TARDIS. I'm an avid modeler, which my daughter is decidedly not, but she is a dedicated Whovian. She is 13 and her first Doctor is the tenth (mine's the fourth). So we've found common ground for a modeling project, which we are now in the midst of. I'm letting my daughter do most of the work; I'm mostly her project manager.

Here's a pic of most of what's done thus far:
Tardis_1704a.jpg

And here are Sylvia (left) and her friend Makenna (an even more dedicated Whovian) painting TARDIS parts:
Tardis_1673a.jpg

We chose the scale because of the building material we started off with: popsicle sticks. (Transl: Iced lolly.) They're about 5 inches long. We used a half-size print of Bill Rudloff's 1/12 scale drawing (http://billrudloff.com/NewTARDISfront.pdf) because it fits my daughter's era and because it actually looks like a Mk. 2 police box. (Differences in the TARDIS over the past 50 yrs don't worry me too much. Science fiction modeling is my holiday from rivet counting.)

We built the base and cornerposts of popsicle sticks, but it turned out that popsicle sticks are a lot of work to cut, and switched to balsa when we started the doors and walls. I posted a build diary up to this point on my blog: http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/

Part 1: The base
Part 2: The cornerposts and starting the walls & doors
Part 3: Door & wall construction and painting

We should have this finished in a couple of weeks, although our goal for what constitutes "finished" remains open. After that, it seems we need a toolshed in the back yard...

DoctorWho8

Wonderful!  This reminds of the project that was done last year in my neck of the wood.  A lady's daughter was building a 1/6 model for the local 4H Fair here in McLean County.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

bellerophon

Thanks Bill--and thanks for the drawing this build is based on! More to come.