9th and 10th Doctor's TARDIS

Started by drwho100, Sep 02, 2012, 05:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

drwho100

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE 10TH DOCTOR'S
CONSOLE IS MADE OUT OF
I NEED TO KNOW2005 TARDIS CONSOLE.jpg

atomicgraph

Is there a certain section your Courious about? There's a little of everything on this version.

galacticprobe

Sep 03, 2012, 03:27 am #2 Last Edit: Sep 03, 2012, 03:34 am by galacticprobe
I would start by looking around in this section here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=58.0. It has just about everything we've found out about this console so far. Another good place to look through is here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3155.0 - lots of extra info discovered was posted in there to help M.D with his build.

Also, there is no need to SHOUT your question at us. (Please do check out this topic http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2971.0 under the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=22.0 section.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

drwho100

Sorry I normally type in capitals
Thanks for the links too!

BioDoctor900

The Original console buttresses are made from fibreglass, this includes the supporting buttreses, although this could be argued by the butress that falls down in 'The End of Time Part 2' as it looks like it is built up with foam. There are many ways to makes the buttresses:

1. Build them with wood that is flexible enough to bend to the shape

2. If you look on here, there is also a guy who built a Eccleston/Tennant console out of polostyrine

3. Like me, I made a few buttresses using, a basic wooden structure, then placing chicken wire across the top, paper mache and mod rock, then painted them, with texturing using purple and green paint to create the aging/texturing

4. Make a fibreglass mould and make them, this can be a pain though

I hope this helps and look forward to seeing what progress you make

BioDoctor900

drwho100

It might not work out but I'll try
If it doesn't I will make a classic console
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

galacticprobe

Sep 03, 2012, 06:54 pm #6 Last Edit: Sep 03, 2012, 07:01 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: BioDoctor900 on Sep 03, 2012, 11:31 am
The Original console buttresses are made from fibreglass, this includes the supporting buttreses, although this could be argued by the butress that falls down in 'The End of Time Part 2' as it looks like it is built up with foam.

I agree about that buttress that came crashing down in "The End of Time Part 2". My guess is they made one of foam so that when it crashed down (pretty obviously landing on the console) that its light weight wouldn't completely destroy the console. Since the scene happened so fast, with so many explosions going on at once, they might have even not covered the falling foam buttress in anything but paint to keep it as light-weight as possible. Roughed-up foam can have a texture of the regular buttresses, or at least close enough while exploding that it would look like it did.

As for the console's ribs, some of the "under construction" photos in "Doctor Who: The Inside Story" show them looking like they were made from plywood or something like that. Granted the photos aren't all that large (and I wish there were more of those "under construction" photos), but the bare frames before the texturing went on do look like wood, even in color. They didn't have that translucent, fibrous look that fiberglass does.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

drwho100

Do you know what colour the curve
is below the monitor?

galacticprobe

Sep 04, 2012, 10:38 pm #8 Last Edit: Sep 04, 2012, 10:39 pm by galacticprobe
Not quite sure what you're asking about. Are you talking about the console's rib? Or the framework the monitor is mounted on? If it's the framework of the monitor, it's silver.

If you're talking about the console's rib, it's the same "coral" color as the rest of the console, with the same discoloration in various places. It just looks darker because in the photo you've posted above, it's the rib with the three-section rheostat mounted on it.

Does that help? If not, try to elaborate a bit more and I'll see what I can come up with. (That is, if museumdave doesn't beat me to it. ;))

Dino.

drwho100

galacticprobe

Sep 07, 2012, 05:40 am #10 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2012, 05:42 am by galacticprobe
??? Erm... Okay. Sure. You're welcome, I guess. (I'm glad I cleared something up. :))

Dino.