Apr 25, 2024, 12:10 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tony's Console Room Measurements

Started by tony farrell, Sep 02, 2012, 09:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kert gantry

Jan 27, 2013, 07:38 pm #270 Last Edit: Jan 27, 2013, 07:41 pm by kert gantry
I'd say that's an original photo-wall for sure.  Foggier contrast, roundels spaced fractionally wider apart and more irregular than the later ones.  Also, as in the Masterplan set photo seen earlier, the photo-roundels look to be a bit smaller than the 3D versions  (unlike the ones you measured from Colony In Space).

tony farrell

Thanks Kert that helps a lot!
However, reading this http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1010.msg49451#msg49451, it seems Rob has saved me a job! Three panels each ten feet wide and twelve feet tall with five columns of printed roundels.
Allowing for a small (virtually indistinguishable) gap between each, this makes the photographic roundels somewhere between 23" and 23.5" in diameter.
Interestingly, these plans show that the intention was to cut holes in the panels and to 'back' each roundel with a 'bucket' molding akin to the PVc three dimensional ones. Something I presume which wasn't realised due to budgetary constraints.
I hope that Rob (and the board's moderators) don't mind, but I've reproduced the photo here.

An Unearthly Child - Elevations.jpg

Tony

tony farrell

Jan 27, 2013, 09:05 pm #272 Last Edit: Jan 27, 2013, 09:47 pm by Tony Farrell
It's also interesting to note that the upright separating strips were originally envisaged as being semi-circular whereas (as built) they appear to be simply flat pieces (albeit with slightly rounded edges).

Rassilons Rod

Jan 30, 2013, 09:19 am #273 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2013, 09:59 am by rassilonsrod
Here is the fixed photo blowup wall.
2013-01-30_01_Photo_Blowups.jpeg

Here is the fixed scanner assembly.
2013-01-30_02_Scanner_Assembly.jpeg

It's not so clear to see in the render so here is a plan view showing what I did. Hopefully this is what you had in mind.
Scanner_Frame_Assembly.jpg

Previously, the front section had no uprights on either side and was simply two cross pieces attached to the side panels.

Also I have tidied up the paint job on the top curves above the scanner assembly. Probably I should reduce the width
of the white edging underneath a tadge.
2013-01-30_03_Top_Curve_Texture.jpeg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Jan 30, 2013, 04:21 pm #274 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2013, 08:57 pm by Tony Farrell
Thank you Marc for your continuing brilliant work - yet more superb renders  :)
I should perhaps just explain that I asked Marc if he would incorporate the three 12' x 10' photographic walls (as stated by Rob) into the renders of the Tardis set. In the latest render, the increased length of the set can be seen by the 'mis-match' which has now appeared between where the solid wall was drawn on the floor plan from and where it has now been placed on the render.
Below (for comparison) is my very crude drawing which shows the difference that overlapping the photographic walls has on the length of the studio set (the blue line-drawing shows the length of the set when all 3 photo-walls are used in full as they were in "Edge of Destruction" ) :
2013-01-23_06_Cpnsole_Room_Full (1a).jpeg

What Marc has done with the scanner assembly is to create the central section of the dividing screens as a 'free-standing' unit as per my drawings. All that's needed now is the casters! Brilliant Marc, thank you!  :)
The white lines on the semi-circular 'tubes' look great  :) but you had the white lines on the down-lighter box fronts correctly shown on this render.

Many thanks
Tony20121002063142 (2 coloured).pngNo message is associated with this attachment.

Rassilons Rod

Jan 30, 2013, 04:36 pm #275 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2013, 04:46 pm by rassilonsrod
New render coming shortly.

Edit: Its becoming apparent that I need to work on the reflectivity of the roundels (and also of the glass in the frames a bit).
2013-01-30_04_EoD_Shot.jpeg
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Blimey Marc - you've been busy  ;D

For comparison

pizap.com13595664078661.jpg

Tony

Rassilons Rod

Feb 05, 2013, 10:07 am #277 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2013, 10:09 am by rassilonsrod
As shown in the pilot episode, Police Box Doors on the outside of the set:
The windows aren't textured yet. The St. John's Badge and the Phone Panel are from the forum. I'm sorry I can't remember which of our members made them, but thank you :)
I also need to add the lock - and some hinges.

2013-02-05_01_Pilot_Shot.jpeg
2013-02-05_02_PoliceBoxDoors.jpeg
2013-02-05_03_PoliceBoxDoors.jpeg
2013-02-05_04_PoliceBoxDoors.jpeg
2013-02-05_05_PoliceBoxDoors_From_Inside.jpeg
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

I had to recreate that texture due to some clumsy pressing of the DEL key... :D

It's not hard to modify the width of those stripes though.

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Jan 30, 2013, 04:21 pm
What Marc has done with the scanner assembly is to create the central section of the dividing screens as a 'free-standing' unit as per my drawings. All that's needed now is the casters! Brilliant Marc, thank you!  :)
The white lines on the semi-circular 'tubes' look great  :) but you had the white lines on the down-lighter box fronts correctly shown on this render.

Public Enema Number One.

rob49152

Rassilons Rod

Thanks Rob, that means a lot. You know how in awe I am of your renders. :)
Public Enema Number One.

Kingpin

It makes me wonder why they never had the stroke of genius that the New Who production did in simply mocking up a second set of Police Box doors for the Console Room set, as it would've save a lot of hassle compared to constantly dismantling and reassembling the TARDIS prop.

Nice work on that render, it's one of the things I've liked since learning about it from the pilot version of the episode. :)

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Kingpin on Feb 06, 2013, 01:20 am
It makes me wonder why they never had the stroke of genius that the New Who production did in simply mocking up a second set of Police Box doors for the Console Room set, as it would've save a lot of hassle compared to constantly dismantling and reassembling the TARDIS prop.

Nice work on that render, it's one of the things I've liked since learning about it from the pilot version of the episode. :)

Thanks Kingpin :)
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

Quote from: Kingpin on Feb 06, 2013, 01:20 am

Actually, you are very close to the truth of things. ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

tony farrell

Feb 11, 2013, 02:11 am #284 Last Edit: Feb 11, 2013, 02:19 am by Tony Farrell
Readers of this thread will know that - in order to arrive at my measurements for the original Tardis Control Room - I have compared the various elements against each other. In this, the various production designers have been very helpful in that they almost constantly assembled the Tardis in differing configurations.
The pity is that the same cannot be said of the so-called "Power Octagon" (what I shall call "The Ceiling Unit"). Because this unit is hung from the studio ceiling, it is not sufficiently close to anything else to be able to judge its size. Matters are not helped by the fact that it is hung at an angle (in fact at different angles and different positions) - perspective lines will not work in these circumstances. These photos illustrate the difficulty:
auc3 - Copy - Copy.jpgd1-1a-041.jpg

It is also apparent that by the time "The Chase" was recorded, the ceiling unit had undergone an extensive refit (presumably to reduce its weight in response to requests from the scenery shifters) whereby the heights of its sides had been reduced by about a half.

This picture from "The Chase" is helpful:

The_Chase.jpg

Clearly the ceiling unit is casting a shadow on the roundels immediately above the Tardis' main internal doors. From the perspective lines I've drawn, it is clear that the unit has been hung so that its near-side is approximately two feet nearer to us than the photographic wall. From Rob's post, we know the photographic wall was ten feet wide - see http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3709.msg49455#msg49455  so, it would appear that the ceiling unit is a similar depth - about 120". But, this is only an estimate of its size and certainly doesn't give us anything approaching an accurate figure.

Despite my best efforts, I've been unable to find anything better. Disappointed then, I was preparing (reluctantly) to simply post this drawing of what I thought the ceiling unit's proportions were and to leave out any measurements.

isometric_graph_paper.png

However, in the Pale Green Console and Control Room thread, http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4139.msg49576#msg49576 ,  Rob49152 posted this picture:

part (2).jpg

You may remember that we undertook some considerable debate about the diameter of the metal floor plate at the centre of which the console stands - see http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3709.msg46967#msg46967 - as well as providing details of the colours of the floor plate(s), Rob's post confirms the diameter of the floor plate we worked out at at little over 136"! So, some very good news indeed! :)

This isn't the end of my good fortune: Clearly Rob's picture describes something which begins "HAN" and "OVER" and "7". Could this be the illusive ceiling unit? Could this actually read "Ceiling Unit hang at 7'"? Could this actually be an instruction as to what height to suspend the unit?  :) Imagine the tingle which went down my spine!!!

In this floor plan, the studio floor is conveniently divided into square feet. In this picture -apologies to the moderators - I've coloured the floor plan to show you what I mean.

part.jpg

My triumph knows no bounds! The ceiling unit,the ceiling unit. We have some measurements. Hurray!  ;D

Utilising my original drawing, here are what I think are the measurements. Let me know what you think.

ceiling unit with measurements.png

Regards, a very happy

Tony