Apr 20, 2024, 12:16 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tony's Console Room Measurements

Started by tony farrell, Sep 02, 2012, 09:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Jan 17, 2013, 05:34 pm #255 Last Edit: Jan 17, 2013, 05:35 pm by rassilonsrod
Hopefully this will clear up any issues with the doors. And true to classic form, you can even see the edge of the jungle flat through the roundels on the right ;)

2013-01-17_04_Doors_Open.jpeg

EDIT: I've just spotted a mistake that I will need to fix. The wainscotting (?? The bits that hang from the doors anyway) meet in the middle rather than being odd like the doors.... That was stupid of me, but never mind, it's an easy fix.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Jan 17, 2013, 05:49 pm #256 Last Edit: Jan 17, 2013, 05:50 pm by rassilonsrod
Here is where we stand right now:
You might notice the absence of the inner doors. Well I built them using mm instead of inches. Now I could just scale it up, however I want to do it right. It should be relatively quick to do. But not today - got some other pressing business for now. :)

Not sure if I mentioned it earlier, but I need to redo the vertical lines on the half pipes above the lighting array. I can do that better also.

EDIT: Hmm, I thought I'd sorted out the wallpaper walls... Oh well another job to do.

2013-01-17_05_Whole_Room.jpeg

And just for the hell of it...

2013-01-17_06_Whole_Room.jpeg
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Stunning, simply stunning!
Tony

markofrani

WOW! THESE RENDERS ARE SUPERB!!!!

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

Dalekoracle

Wow. Thats utterly brilliant.  lurk in this thread, but follow it intently, and that render is a beauty!
Keep up the great work!
Mark D

celation

Indeed. Coming on very nicely, guys. Great to see!

Rassilons Rod

Jan 17, 2013, 10:08 pm #262 Last Edit: Jan 17, 2013, 10:09 pm by rassilonsrod
Thanks guys :)

Chris, my big learning curve here (apart from discovering the merge-vertices-in-the-middle tool in Maya 2012) was "BEVEL BEFORE COMBINING!" :D
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jan 17, 2013, 05:49 pm
Here is where we stand right now:
You might notice the absence of the inner doors. Well I built them using mm instead of inches. Now I could just scale it up, however I want to do it right. It should be relatively quick to do. But not today - got some other pressing business for now. :)

Not sure if I mentioned it earlier, but I need to redo the vertical lines on the half pipes above the lighting array. I can do that better also.

EDIT: Hmm, I thought I'd sorted out the wallpaper walls... Oh well another job to do.

2013-01-17_05_Whole_Room.jpeg

And just for the hell of it...

2013-01-17_06_Whole_Room.jpeg

I've been gazing in awe at these latest renders and have just noticed you've also now finished the hexagonal floor plate with a metallic trim as well! Thank you for doing this! Another item I can now tick off my wish list. Oh, and the sloping tops to the down-lighter 'tubes'. Again, thanks - another 'box ticked-off'!  ;)
Also, I'd like to say that the words from Celation mean a lot. Chris (may I call you Chris?) you clearly know your stuff; to be appreciated by you is flattering.
It's great to know that others appreciate my aim (I hope this thread is becoming a joint 'work in progress' with me simply prompting the discussion) - i.e., effectively to re-create the first Tardis Control Room in all its true glory based on as near accurate figures as we can get! Marc's renders are, I think spot on, but I'm biased  ;D
Mark D, your remark "lurk in this thread, but follow it intently" intrigues me.. I know, at 18 pages, this is possibly the longest 'non-build' thread in the history of threads (!) and I'm conscious that things have wandered about a bit, but I have tried to summarise the basic methodology and principal 'measurements' as we've progressed. Is there anything different you'd like to see?
Thanks to all.
Tony

Rassilons Rod

It's a matte white colour (imitating plastic), surely they wouldn't trim metal with metal would they? What would be the point? :D

Yes, Chris really DOES know his stuff. He's been a constant source of knowledge and advice on 3D for many a year now, for which
my gratitude is boundless :)
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Jan 26, 2013, 05:31 pm #265 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2013, 09:01 pm by Tony Farrell
Family commitments complete (for a while) and I'm back! Did you all miss me?  ;)
Going back a few posts, I posted this photo of what I thought was the correct size for the photographic roundels:

myphoto (58).png

I also suggested that the join between two sections of these photographic walls was concealed behind the computer tower...

green circles.jpg

Based on the size of roundel calculated from the grab from "Colony in Space" and the alignment of the roundels drawn in the photo above, I suggested that the configuration of the photographic walls was a 5-3-5 column of roundels.

Marc has very kindly sent me these renders to illustrate my point. Note, as with previous renders, Marc has again placed his renders of my measurements directly on to the studio floor plan from "The Dalek Master Plan" to the same scale. This shows that a 5-3-5 arrangement would indeed 'fit' with the studio plans at the measurements I've stated (see page 14 of this thread) and I haven't completely taken leave of my senses!  ;D

5-3-5 rondels.jpeg

However, after I posted the photo with the green circles, Kert and Nate both pointed out that the photographic walls had been reprinted in (or shortly after) 1966 to a slightly larger scale and with a darker contrast. Looking at the evidence which has been subsequently posted in http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1010.msg49414#msg49414, I now accept that the original photographic walls were printed to a slightly smaller scale than I'd thought and that all three of them contained five columns of roundels as per this render by Marc! I guess that these walls were either overlapped behind the computer tower in my original picture (with the green circles) or that the end of the photographic wall is out of shot!

2012-12-14-4-FaultLocatorAndWalls-ALLsylvan_green.jpeg

I'll try to calculate the size of the original photographic roundels but, in the meantime, I'd like to share a couple more of Marc's excellent renders of my measurements for no other reason than that I think they deserve to be seen.

The first shows a view of the photographic walls viewed from inside the living quarters. The second is a rather atmospheric render (which, for reference, I've compared to screen grabs from "Edge of Destruction"). I've tried to get screen grabs from as near the same angle as Marc has presented his render. I hope that everyone reading will agree with me when I say that the renders from my measurements look remarkably close to what was actually built. I'm a very happy bunny indeed!!  ;D

2013-01-23_07_Through_Interior_Doors (1).jpeg

vlcsnap-2011-11-25-06h42m49s146.pngmyphoto (31).png2013-01-23_07_Through_Front_Doors (1).jpeg

Regards

Tony

tony farrell

Jan 27, 2013, 10:57 am #266 Last Edit: Jan 27, 2013, 12:22 pm by Tony Farrell
Just for the hell of it - - couple more of Marc's renders. I think they are beautiful and deserve a much wider audience than just to give me pleasure - enjoy!  :)
In the first, Marc has 'stolen' the idea of a partly-assembled internal doors unit from "The Chase". The Knossos chair is there as a bit of fun but, it does help to show the scale of the Tardis interior....

2013-01-23_01_New_Doors_Front (1).jpeg

2013-01-23_04_Cpnsole_Room_Full (1).jpeg

2013-01-23_06_Cpnsole_Room_Full (1).jpeg

Tony

tony farrell

Jan 27, 2013, 05:17 pm #267 Last Edit: Jan 27, 2013, 05:39 pm by Tony Farrell
I think that I've now 'sussed' what's going on with the photographic walls:
You may remember that I've asserted the modular nature of the Tardis set; that, depending on how much studio space was available, different elements of the set were assembled as required. Clearly the more studio sets that were required for an episode, the less space was available to accommodate the Tardis interior.
Edge of Destruction was set exclusively inside the ship so, the entire studio floor was available for use (you may remember that I posted to state that the distance behind the Scanner Assembly was considerably greater in this episode than in, say, An Unearthly Child - see http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3709.msg46121#msg46121 ). Thus, in 'Edge' the Tardis interior was at its maximum size and all elements of the set were fully used.
By contrast, in "An Unearthly Child", in addition to the Tardis interior, the junk yard and a small section of the street leading to its gates were also needed (the classroom and desert scenes were pre-recorded). With this episode introducing the Tardis, it is logical that the production team would still want to make its interior as impressive as possible but the studio space simply wasn't available. Solution, reduce the depth/length of the Tardis set but still keep all the elements in it!
The following screen grab is from "Planet of Giants" and shows that the photographic walls could be overlapped when required. At least in "An Unearthly Child" any overlap of the photographic walls was hidden behind the light box/computer tower. In the second photo the Production team couldn't even be bothered to hide the overlap:

myphoto (9).pngR-3_2+1_05.jpg

Thus, I think that there were three identical photographic walls which were overlapped when space was at a premium and which were only really ever seen in 'their full glory' in Edge of Destruction.

Both of these renders are therefore correct:

2013-01-17_06_Whole_Room.jpeg5-3-5 rondels.jpeg

Tony

kert gantry

Jan 27, 2013, 06:04 pm #268 Last Edit: Jan 27, 2013, 06:05 pm by kert gantry
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Jan 27, 2013, 05:17 pm

Both of these renders are therefore correct:

Not quite - those are my Mk 2-style photo-roundels, based on photos from Power Of The Daleks.  Corrected, Mk 1-type walls coming soon!  ;)

Stunning renders though.

tony farrell

Thanks Kert - it's good to know others are reading the thread.
In your view, are the photographic roundels in this picture the mark 1 version or the reprinted version?

Regards

Tony

The_Chase (1a).jpg