Apr 25, 2024, 07:20 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tony's Console Room Measurements

Started by tony farrell, Sep 02, 2012, 09:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Erm, not quite - the little windows are at the same level on all the panels. So, their bottom edge is five inches above the sill.

I've added additional measurements to clarify:

fault locator detailing with measurements (2).png

Cheers

Tony

Rassilons Rod

Ok, that will need fixing, but check this out...

Still working on the metal parts, let me know which colour gweeeen you like ;)

2012-12-11-4-FaultLocator.jpeg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

In terms of visualising my measurements your renders are superb - thanks again.

Let's not discuss colours here but purely for the sake of being consistent with what you've already achieved/presented, let's stick to the same very pale green as the console. Let's keep the debate about colours the 'sister' thread.

Anyway, work intervenes again  ???

Tony

kert gantry

Dec 11, 2012, 07:07 pm #213 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2012, 07:19 pm by kert gantry
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Dec 10, 2012, 04:04 pm

I remember someone mentioned here on TB that the photographic walls may have been reprinted sometime around 1966 (sorry, can't find the quote at the moment). That might make sense given the damage evident in my previous screen grab - indeed, if you look at the top left corner in the picture from "The Chase", that damage is evident here as well (the same wall is now upside down).

Tony

The 1966 photo-roundels reprint has been a pet theory of mine for a while - ever since I started on a recreation of them for a model TARDIS set and noticed apparent inconsistencies in stills from season three onwards.  The second set of roundels seem to appear in early '66 (they're in The Ark, I think - we don't have any visual evidence for The Massacre, sadly) and from then on are often - but not always - set up with the roundel columns horizontal rather than vertical (see Toymaker, Mind Robber, War Games, Axos among others).

Other characteristics of the reprint walls that differ from the originals are: the roundels themselves are larger and closer together (to the point of overlapping slightly in places).  They are also more evenly spaced than the originals (which have a tendency to 'drift' further apart near the edges of the wall, particularly at the bottom).  The second print seems more 'contrasty' - the lights lighter and darks darker, though again I'm sure lighting issues play their part here on occasion.

I'd certainly be very interested to see what your researches glean on this one, Tony (even if my assertions get proved wrong!).  :)

tony farrell

This is very helpful Kert, I now know where to start looking - thank you. The larger roundel is consistent with my measurements taken from screen grabs from Colony in Space.... looks like I'll have to recheck the earlier stories as well. When you say the photographic walls became inconsistent from season three, do you mean the way they were hung i.e., upside down?  Or do you mean that sometimes they used the original ones and sometimes the re-prints? Or, even a combination of the two?
In addition, are we happy with my comment that there were originally three photographic walls (2 x 5 and a bit columns of roundels and 1 x 3 columns of roundels)?
Comments and help appreciated - can anyone else add anything?
Tony

Rassilons Rod

Dec 12, 2012, 09:48 am #215 Last Edit: Dec 12, 2012, 09:50 am by rassilonsrod
One "Fault Locator" Wall :)

2012-12-12-1-FaultLocator.jpeg

Unfortunately the plastic shapes at the top are too shiny, but I'll fix that later.
2012-12-12-2-FaultLocator.jpeg
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

These are genuinely my measurements in 3D? Gosh...erm, gosh! I'm well happy with that!

I know you're still fine-tuning the scanner/down-lighter assembly to match my drawings, but (he asks impatiently), is there any chance of a render of this view of the fault locator with the scanner assembly in front of it? Oh go on Marc, you know you want to  ;) !

Does everyone get the feeling I'm rather pleased with this?

T

Rassilons Rod

Dec 12, 2012, 01:52 pm #217 Last Edit: Dec 12, 2012, 02:08 pm by rassilonsrod
ok, gimme ten minutes ;)

EDIT: OK, that was closer to 20 :P

2012-12-12-3-FaultLocator.jpeg
Public Enema Number One.

kert gantry

Dec 12, 2012, 07:14 pm #218 Last Edit: Dec 12, 2012, 08:06 pm by kert gantry
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Dec 12, 2012, 08:17 am
When you say the photographic walls became inconsistent from season three, do you mean the way they were hung i.e., upside down?  Or do you mean that sometimes they used the original ones and sometimes the re-prints? Or, even a combination of the two?

Like yourself, I was after a rendering of the walls from Season 1, so by 'inconsistent' I just meant certain details of the photo-walls from Season 3 onwards didn't seem to chime with those seen before.  The fact that they then began sometimes to hang the walls with the roundel rows horizontal (something that never happened before - upside down, yes, but never flipped 90 degrees) makes me wonder if the new photo-walls might have been squarer in shape, and so easier for innocent stagehands to put up that way unknowingly.  As far as I can see, it's the Mk 2 photo-roundels all the way after 1966.  I had thought the wall you pictured from Colony might be the same one from your Chase pics, but your measurements seem to disprove that.

So in short, for the purposes of your thread, beware of any pics taken after 1966!  This Masterplan one is useful again, as it shows how the 3D and photo-walls measure up to the rectangular flat between them.  As you can see, it's roughly four and a half 3D roundels to four and three-quarters photo roundels, so that's an original photo-wall:-

d1-077.jpg

tony farrell

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Dec 12, 2012, 01:52 pm

2012-12-12-3-FaultLocator.jpeg

Thanks Marc! I know you still need to tweak the scanner/down-lighter assembly but if we compare your render with this photo - even without the minor changes still to be made - I hope everyone can see how close we are.

2.JPG

Tony

tony farrell

Dec 13, 2012, 08:33 am #220 Last Edit: Dec 13, 2012, 09:47 am by rassilonsrod
Quote from: kert gantry on Dec 12, 2012, 07:14 pmSo in short, for the purposes of your thread, beware of any pics taken after 1966!  

Kert, I shall consider myself duly warned - thank you!  ;)

Tony

Rassilons Rod

Dec 13, 2012, 10:25 am #221 Last Edit: Dec 13, 2012, 10:25 am by rassilonsrod
I tried to do a thing in Maya that I'm not very good at. Image Planes. What that means is that you can put an image directly in the camera to line it up with the scene and see how close you are. Firstly, I don't know the focal length used by the cameras, and secondly it's just really REALLY fiddly to do...  :-\

Anyway, I tried to make a render that emulates angle of the photo you used in your last post. I gave up with the image plane and this is as near as I can get it....

2012-12-13-1-FaultLocator.jpeg
Public Enema Number One.

kert gantry

Dec 13, 2012, 11:46 am #222 Last Edit: Dec 13, 2012, 11:54 am by kert gantry

In addition, are we happy with my comment that there were originally three photographic walls (2 x 5 and a bit columns of roundels and 1 x 3 columns of roundels)?

Tony

Yep, looks good to me!

Am currently tweaking my recreated photo-roundel wall (See 'Sixties TARDIS interior' in Model Console Builds). It's had a lot of use from people but I used pics from Power, so strictly speaking it's a 1966 wall!  :-[

Rassilons Rod

Tony

I've always thought that, I just haven't ammended the model to the correct widths yet ;)
Public Enema Number One.

celation

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Dec 13, 2012, 10:25 am
I tried to do a thing in Maya that I'm not very good at. Image Planes.

Quoted for obvious lack of truth... :)

That's very, very cool.