Started by tony farrell, Sep 02, 2012, 09:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

tony farrell

May 12, 2013, 01:47 am #346 Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:12 am by Tony Farrell
Hopefully this covers all the measurements:
console top.png
console 3 sides.png
And of the plinth and from underneath, showing the relationship of the underside dividing 'fins':
console 3 sides bottom.png
And from the 'narrow' side:
console top two sides.png

galacticprobe

May 13, 2013, 12:29 am #347 Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:29 am by galacticprobe
Looks great, Tony. The only measurement I see missing is in the last diagram: the width of the main part of the console on the "short sides" (not "point to point", but the "flat edge to flat edge", if you know what I mean).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Hi Dino - it is there, just not repeated on the last diagram. 36.4" (36.373") excluding the 1/2" for the upright edging.
Thanks for reading.
T

tony farrell

galacticprobe

May 13, 2013, 04:47 pm #350 Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:48 pm by galacticprobe
Duh! <said with deep, drawn-out vocalization> :P I didn't notice that on the side in the "Overhead" views - both overhead views. (Sorry, Tony. Too many measurements, not enough brain cells!) But I do love these drawings!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DoctorWho8

Quote from: Tony Farrell on May 13, 2013, 01:07 pm
Hi Dino - it is there, just not repeated on the last diagram. 36.4" (36.373") excluding the 1/2" for the upright edging.
Thanks for reading.
T

Actually, it might be wiser going 36.375" as .375 = 3/8.  It would work better in imperial measurements that way. For me, it makes better sense to use the full decimal equivalents to fractions than rounding them up to the nearest .1 of an inch.  Those minor rounded figures could cause some fitting issues if someone tried to use them in a prop recreation.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Rassilons Rod

Tony, are you sure that the round skirt for the casters protrudes outside of the hex? :)

You might be right, just want to check :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Quote from: galacticprobe on May 13, 2013, 04:47 pm
Sorry, Tony. Too many measurements, not enough brain cells!
Dino.

Dino, oh dear, I hope I'm not confusing people with too much detail.  :(
Bill, you make a very good point. Unfortunately anything based on a hexagon is difficult to draw because, to be strictly accurate, you have to use the following formula:  height = square root of 3/2 x the length of the side. So, an equilateral triangle with sides of 42" has a 'formula' height of 36.373" not 36.375". So, any rounding at all would result in a theoretical distortion of the triangle/hexagon.
The reason I've taken figures to one decimal place is purely practical - when I built my Dalek, this is what I used and it worked well (he says modestly  ;). Look at the crazy angles in the 'skirt' section; most people don't actually realise that the front three panels on each side actually bow - the tops and bottom of each panel are at different angles. In practical terms, this means the angle at which these panels join actually alters along the length of each join - erm, does that make sense?  :-\ How would you draw this?
myphoto (7).jpg
myphoto (10).jpg
I doubt anyone would be able to draw anything really accurately to 2 decimal places - the width of the pencil line alone would prevent this. Then you have to allow for the width of the saw blade - that's going to be a couple of millimeters. Then you have to ask where do you make your cut - on the line you've drawn, inside or outside it?
Lastly, what you make something out of will also make a difference - I'm drawing the console's upper and lower dividing fins at the moment. But I can only present their surface measurements: If you make these out of a thin material (say 2mm hardboard or even sheet metal) there would be no need to allow for any chamfer when making your cut. If you chose to use a thicker material, you'd need to angle your cuts to make the 'internal' surfaces of each fin smaller. 
For the console drawings, I've used a scale of 12 pixels per inch. This means that each line is 0.083" thick - every measurement is therefore either + or - this amount.
I hope this helps explain where 'I'm coming from'.  :)
T

tony farrell

May 14, 2013, 03:38 pm #354 Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:09 pm by Tony Farrell
Quote from: rassilonsrod on May 13, 2013, 07:00 pm
Tony, are you sure that the round skirt for the casters protrudes outside of the hex? :)

You might be right, just want to check :)

Thanks Marc - I did check this before posting and, yes, I think there is indeed this protrusion. Bear in mind this circular section was removed for Edge of Destruction, so photos are rare but if you look at this, I think 44" is a fair estimate of the diameter:
round base.png
T

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

galacticprobe

May 14, 2013, 05:14 pm #357 Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:14 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on May 14, 2013, 03:24 pm
Dino, oh dear, I hope I'm not confusing people with too much detail.  :(

No, Tony; It's just me. My pain meds do keep me a little foggy-headed. :P ;) :)

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

I think I can see it in the 2nd one, but still not sure. If no-one else agrees with me then I guess its just my eyes :-D
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

I hope this will help with the lower section of the console - top half to follow.
:)

console 3 sides bottom with fin details.png