Apr 19, 2024, 09:31 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Moveable 2005 Tardis.

Started by torktomelson, Aug 30, 2012, 06:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

torktomelson

Aug 30, 2012, 06:19 am Last Edit: Aug 30, 2012, 06:57 am by Scarfwearer
I've been working on this project for a few weeks now and have been referencing this web site for quite some time.  I suppose it took me a while to muster the motivation to contribute my progress on this wonderful site.

The base is comprised of 2x4's and the trim was made with  2x2's that I have cut at an angle with a table saw.  I did not have much experience with cutting angles, so I ruined several pieces before I got it right.

TardisBase.jpg

I added in supports and then started to set in two of the center posts so that I can have an idea of how wide the wall is going to be. Since my carpentry skills are not perfect and sometimes my measurements can be a millimeter or two off, I have been measuring and cutting everything as I go to make sure everything fits.  

Here's a picture of my first wall, I cut out the first window hole with a jigsaw.

DSC_0203.JPG

Well that's it for now, I will post more pictures as they become available.

tony farrell

Aug 30, 2012, 05:25 pm #1 Last Edit: Aug 31, 2012, 01:27 am by tony farrell
I think that you are under-estimating your carpentry skills. To me, this looks like it has the makings of a very fine Tardis indeed. You say that this is full-size and that you intend it to be a walk-in liquor cabinet. This begs a question: Just how much booze do you have at your house?  ;D

mulla

A walk in liquor cabinet that looks like a TARDIS? inspired! ;D

I'd say go the whole hog and put a bar in it!  Everybody (and i mean everybody) is simply wowed by getting a drink out of a tardis!

BARDIS number 3?

Anyway, it looks like you've made a great start on it (more than just a start in fact), make sure you keep us posted with updates!

DoctorWho8

You're not Australian, are you?  If so you becoming part of a trend down under.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

torktomelson

Sep 03, 2012, 05:48 am #4 Last Edit: Sep 03, 2012, 05:55 am by torktomelson
I've been pretty busy building this week as I am trying to get most of the outside finished before school starts up again.  Also, since I live in Portland, OR, I am expecting the rain to start up again in a few weeks.  If I can finish building the main parts, I can then disassemble the whole thing and do the finishing touches piece by piece.

No message is associated with this attachment.

I have finished building the second and third wall and started on the roof today.  For the next two walls, I cut out two pieces of plywood and mounted them in-between the corner posts and began building the wall in place instead of assembling the wall first.  For me, this seemed to go a bit smoother; I will post more pictures when I have the time.

I also built several window frames out of .5" square dowels. They aren't real window frames, but they look pretty good from the outside. I bought some thin acrylic sheeting that is typically used for florescent light to use for the windows.

No message is associated with this attachment.No message is associated with this attachment.DSC_0211.JPG

Anyway, I will post more pictures tomorrow.

Volpone

Ah. Portland. Do I know you? 

Yesterday I learned that Google Street View has been updated for my house.  Not the satellite image, but the street view.  And if you know where to look, you can now see my TARDIS. 

Sadly it is summertime, and the leaf cover means it isn't very exciting--just a blue shape with leaves obscuring all the identifying characteristics. :(
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

torktomelson

Sep 06, 2012, 10:50 am #6 Last Edit: Sep 06, 2012, 10:59 am by torktomelson

I finished building the Doors, Light boxes and roof over labor day weekend, which means I pretty much spent my entire 3 days off working on the Tardis.

After building all four boxes, I realized that they are not quite right because of the extra wood space on each side.  I still think they look pretty good though and I doubt many will notice.

The roof turned out surprisingly well.  Although there are little gaps, I was expecting much worse.  I also think I designed the roof to be a little too sturdy as it takes two people to be able to mount it to the top of the Tardis. I think if I were to do it again, I would have used 1X4's in places instead of 2X4's to cut down on weight.

Mounting the doors was a little tricky, but they seemed to turn out pretty well.  I still have to make a door jam for the top so that you do not see the space between the door and frame.

My roommate was able to assist me in lifting the roof on top for a few pictures before I took the whole thing apart again.  I am leaving for a ten day vacation and I wanted to store the pieces in the garage in case it rains.

At this point, I will be able to finish the entire thing piece by piece since all of the main parts are built.  
I still have a lot of wood filling and sanding to do before I am able to start painting.

As you can see from the last picture, I am not very organized with my tools.  I don't think I have set anything down in the same place twice, which has led me to constantly searching through the rubble for what I need.

Anyway, I will be out for the next 10 days, but I will post more upon my return.DSC_0025.JPGDSC_0025.JPGDSC_0021.JPGDSC_0031.JPGDSC_0019.JPGDSC_0027.JPGDSC_0024.JPG

evil bob

Wonderful!  I want my build to look that good.

DoctorWho8

She's getting there.  Interesting construction technique for the sign boxes.  I've not see that notching system used like that before.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

tony farrell

I told you you were underestimating your carpentry skills - this is looking really good. Can't wait to see more, much more!
Regards
Tony

torktomelson

The stickers I ordered online finally came in the other day, so I attached them to an acrylic sheet.
I will probably have time to cut them out this weekend.  For some reason, I thought it would be easier to place them on the sheet and then cut them out.
DSC_0020.JPG

I've been doing a lot of wood filling and sanding lately.  I have to admit that this must be the least favorite part of the build so far.  I have been using wood filler and for smaller cracks, spackling paste.

DSC_0024.JPGDSC_0021.JPG

I also picked out some blue paint from home depot.  I eventually went with "Quiet Storm" from Behr.  I will probably be able to start painting tomorrow.

torktomelson

Oh, and thanks for your support everyone.  The comments are very appreciated.  :)

I haven't had much experience with woodworking, but I feel I have been picking it up fairly fast.

I'll post more pictures after I make some progress with the painting process.

evil bob

This is really looking great!  I'm going to do my light boxes like yours.

torktomelson

So, I have painted almost the entire exterior, I have just been neglecting to post any updates lately.
I have also been extremely busy with school and work, which has been seriously cutting into my Tardising time.

DSC_0021.JPG

Here is a picture of the Primer/Sealer coat.  I then proceeded to paint the first coat of the blue.
DSC_0020.JPG

I also found a lamp on Amazon that seemed to be close enough to suite my needs. 
I am pretty excited about the results; everything is starting to look like a tardis!

DSC_0023.JPG

The rainy season just started today, so progress may be a little slow. 

I am also starting to get some of the electronics for the lighting. I will post the progress with that once I begin.

davidnagel

Good splendid in blue!
Regards
David