New, New TardisBuilders!

Digital Brachaki TARDIS

Started by Kjasi, Aug 25, 2012, 08:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Aug 30, 2012, 06:02 am #15 Last Edit: Aug 30, 2012, 06:11 am by galacticprobe
Here's a lightened version of rassilonsrod's AUC photo close up on the lock:
Normal_Lock.jpg

Can't see any logo on it (Yale or other). Either it's just not visible in this photo or they changed out the lock later on with one that had the Yale logo on it. That ring around the lock (I forget the name of those things - it's like "bezel" only fancier, but bezel will do) looks like one piece but with two levels to it (as rassilonsrod suspected), but is a separate piece from the lock.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

They could well have changed the lock to a standard YALE later on, they certainly had something else in during "The Keys Of Marinus" as my other photo pointed out. :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Aug 31, 2012, 12:16 am #17 Last Edit: Aug 31, 2012, 12:16 am by galacticprobe
That lock from "Keys" looks exactly like the lock we had on our Sick Bay door on my 270-foot cutters. It operated like a "grapple" mechanism; when you turned the key to lock it, the "bolts" would extend from the top and bottom and reach outward into the recess of the bulkhead, sort of like this when locked:

|\
--| \
-----\

-----/
--| /
 |/

When unlocked the mechanism would retract. This sort of mechanism would keep both doors locked together, and I wonder if this is how that lock on the TARDIS worked as Hartnell always used the key to lock the doors when he closed them.

I don't remember whether our Sick Bay lock had a logo on it or not. Even so, besides the new (or different?) lock seen in "Keys" was still different than the one seen in that photo from "The Dalek Master Plan". So the locks must have been changed out several times, some no doubt having the Yale logo while others were blank.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mechanoid

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Aug 30, 2012, 04:18 pm
They could well have changed the lock to a standard YALE later on, they certainly had something else in during "The Keys Of Marinus" as my other photo pointed out. :)

Maybe it could be the same lock without its escutcheon rings?

Kjasi

Quote from: hb88banzai on Aug 29, 2012, 10:20 pm
Nice image so far. One thing that throws me though, is all the wood grain texture going in one direction. Especially at the posts, the grain should go lengthwise, but if possible every component should have the grain going in the direction of the longest dimension - at the board level.

I agree. That's one of the things I'll be working on next. (I mentioned that I need to fix that in my initial post.)

As far as the windows go, it appears that some episodes had them covered with a white paper on the insides, while others didn't. I chose to go with more realistic windows, but obscure the insides to a nice degree, to give the feeling of the opaque white coverings. I might play with color and opacity a bit more, but for the most part, I'm happy with the windows. (Oh, and Rassilonsrod? Check out HDR Image-Based Lighting for your TARDIS. That's one of the things making my renders turn out so nicely. ^_^)

The Lock, oh yes, the lock. That is the last thing I have to model, and I have to say, THANK YOU EVERYONE for providing me with some great material. I think I'm going to follow the design of the pilot/An Unearthy Child's lock, but omit any identifying marks, like YALE, whether they exist or not.

I've got a busy weekend, but I'm hoping to get some time to do some additional modeling/texturing soon so I can post an update by next weekend.
REALITY.SYS corrupted. Reboot Universe? (Y/N)

Rassilons Rod

I've used HDR, but part of my issues is not having much stuff around my main object of interest.

I'll get back to my Hartnell TARDIS in time. In the mean time, I can enjoy your renderings :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.