Apr 19, 2024, 03:28 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The walls at last

Started by type55tardis, Aug 21, 2012, 05:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

type55tardis

I think this is the right place for this topic.
I've taken the first steps towards my console room walls ,as my console is light green (same as the original) I thought its only natural to have the background the same colour ,but how to achieve the roundels ? well imagine my excitement when I found these p1.JPG they are just a few shades darker than the console and should provide a nice contrast to the lighter walls .and they only cost £18.00 for 200 and free delivery.
I was dreading having to cut out all those holes for the roundels  :) anyway I'll keep you all informed of my progress.

so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

warmcanofcoke

Interesting concept. Can't wait to see photos. How big are the roundels that you are buying? What are they made from? Do they come in clear?
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

museumdave

Very Interesting!  They are plates, or trays?  how big are they?

Cheers

M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

type55tardis

Aug 22, 2012, 05:30 am #3 Last Edit: Aug 22, 2012, 05:57 am by type55tardis
Thanks for the interest guys,they are 9" plates,I ordered them prior to the building of the walls,so that i can work out all the measurements in advance.
9" wasn't the ideal size I wanted 12" would have been better but they are virtually the perfect colour for the job,
the walls will be 3mm ply with 1"x1" framing .
For the pillars between the panels I think they will be achieved in a similar way to the masters tardis build I made previously,only on a smaller scale.
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

type55tardis

The plates arrived yesterday ,a bit smaller than I would have liked but I think they will serve, my decision now is whether or not to recess them into the walls.
The plates are quite deep so they would stand out on the walls ,I think I;m going to have to cut the dreaded holes  >:(

warmcanofcoke

it'll be worth it in the end. Can't wait to see the walls.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

type55tardis

Just waiting for the weather to warm up then away we go

type55tardis

The plywood sheets arrived yesterday so as soon as the weather warms up I'm on to it

galacticprobe

Jan 18, 2013, 05:24 pm #8 Last Edit: Jan 18, 2013, 05:25 pm by galacticprobe
Eagerly awaiting to see the progress on this one! Great console; great place to have it for a console room; great concept for the walls...

What could possibly go wrong? ;) ;D
(And how many of the Doctors used that phrase? :D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

type55tardis

Ive measured up and reinforced the first sheet with 1"x1" rough planed wood,but as its snowed and its freezing cold here ,I don't want to go any further until it warms up,but I'm very pleased with the first panel.

type55tardis

Jan 23, 2013, 07:37 am #10 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2013, 07:41 am by type55tardis
I got bored of working yesterday,so i decided to have another go at the panels

SPM_A0424.jpg

SPM_A0422.jpg

The idea is that they will cross the rear quarter of the workshop ,also I'm toying with the idea of having the roundels raised instead of sunk into the walls and possibly having them in silver against a pale green background ,puts a different spin on things and makes it more custom built, as all tardis's tend to be different.
The idea of using silver for the roundels comes from the console as all its highlights are silver.

type55tardis

Hers some more walls
SPM_A0426.jpg

SPM_A0430.jpg

I hope you like the way they're coming along

galacticprobe

Jan 25, 2013, 06:14 pm #12 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2013, 06:18 pm by galacticprobe
I'm really curious to see more of this. And your idea of having the roundels raised and silver rather than sunk and lighted is actually on par with at least one of the stories in the Classic Series:
SilverRoundel.png
(Image courtesy of Teletran, with the original post here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2387.0)

I know that image is of an interior door, but it's still got a raised, silver roundel on it so you're keeping with canon! And from the sound of your description, your walls should look really cool.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Silver? I do hate to be contrary Dino... </2nd Doctor>. :D

What I'm seeing is a very thin and unlit (read very dark behind it) around the edges. The middle circle seems to have more thickness to it. Well that's what I think, but I've been wrong many times on here :D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jan 26, 2013, 02:55 pm #14 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2013, 03:31 pm by galacticprobe
The above "silvery-looking" roundel is on the internal door, which door and roundel did change throughout the series. In the next photo Teletran posted in his thread:
doctorwho440.jpg
it's the same internal door, but there is a distinct difference in the door's roundel. (Roundel and handle, actually, maybe even a whole new door.) This roundel, though, is clearly one of the translucent fiberglass roundels. In the photo from my last post, that roundel doesn't look like it's simply just unlit; there are glints on it that have a decidedly silver-painted look. (Not sure which story that one was taken from, but it was definitely in the Tom Baker era... possibly "The Invasion of Time"?)

If was just a simple case of an unlit roundel I would tend to think it would appear either dark amber (almost brown) or black, but the silvery-looking roundel is neither of those colors.

Dino.