Apr 27, 2024, 12:47 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Retro Central's Season 18 TYJ Tardis Build

Started by retrocentral, Jul 21, 2012, 07:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

retrocentral

Jul 21, 2012, 07:37 pm Last Edit: Aug 18, 2012, 10:32 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi all. I am new to this forum but this is my second build. Well, actually I have been more of a project manager this time round as I had a lot of help from a friend with a workshop!
Once the measurents were finalised the tardis actually took 7 days to build up. The painting a couple more days...
within the first two days all the main components were fabricated. It has been built to last as my last one was not!

retrocentral

Jul 21, 2012, 07:57 pm #9 Last Edit: Jul 21, 2012, 09:02 pm by retrocentral
More building photos next week. The window frames, the top of the posts need detail parts and the doors fitted. Both the front and rear will have doors as the original. After everything has been assmebled it will be taken down and all the separate parts covered in a fiberglass type resin used for sealing wooden boats. (I will be using it as the entrance to my recording studio). I am testing different techniques and colours to gain the dark blue/grey over light blue look of the original during the later years of production. I have an original sign that was fitted to both the TYJ and Newberry prop which I am using as the light blue reference and put it next to my testers!
sign paints.JPG

deck5

Some variation of the technique I used for my recent door sign might work for you.  Light blue matte base, dark blue rubbed off as soon as it's applied, and a graphite rub for the raised grain.

retrocentral

Hey thanks for the advice. Thats a new technique to me!

deck5

Sure.   Have a look at the end result in my pull-to-open build thread, see if it's what you're looking for.

retrocentral

Quote from: deck5 on Jul 21, 2012, 08:20 pm
Sure.   Have a look at the end result in my pull-to-open build thread, see if it's what you're looking for.

I am looking for this...sign2.jpg

deck5

Not to pollute your thread with pictures of my work, but here's the result of my paint technique:

2005signaf2sM.jpg