News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

BioDoctor900's Eccleston/Tennant Console

Started by BioDoctor900, Jul 14, 2012, 12:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

museumdave

Sep 19, 2012, 01:45 pm #15 Last Edit: Sep 19, 2012, 01:46 pm by museumdave
Hey Biodoctor....
Pipe insulation? PIPE insulation? you mean like the stuff that is offten used as a bumper around the base of a K9 build???? you mean like this stuff???

pipeInsulation.jpg

well it turned out pretty well.  you may know that this is a part of my build that is still a challenge for me....

pipe insulation

what a resourceful fellow you are.

cheers to you

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Sep 19, 2012, 11:45 pm #16 Last Edit: Sep 19, 2012, 11:45 pm by galacticprobe
I'll add that to the list of things I never would have thought of. (And that list seems to be growing the more I follow M.D.'s build, and ones like this. :P)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

BioDoctor900

Yup thats the stuff, its just about finding things round the house, you'll be amazed at what you can find, like that draw of odds and sods, ever man had one, I have a box though haha

BioDoctor900

the mister

wow it's fantastic! incredible improvement with the upgrade

BioDoctor900

Well after sitting there getting more and more jealous over MD's Console, I decided I needed to get my backside into gear and do something about the multiple boxes of console bits I had sitting in the TARDIS.

Firstly I asked about making some levers from sheet metal at college and got the go ahead. Then I went and did a bit of parts shopping and bought these:

Two shower hoses, a clock for my Demat/Remat lever, a luggage scale, a 4 way USB adapter, some sink strainers which I put into my old Forrero Rocher box, an iPod/iPhone charging dock and a plant pot

Then I went and sorted through the bits in the boxes to end up with a PILE of parts

So I'm going to be having fun with that lot. I shall soon be buying some wood to start on the butresses and get the main structure of the console up :)

More Soon
BioDoctor900

BioDoctor900

Mar 19, 2013, 11:59 am #20 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2013, 12:08 pm by BioDoctor900
These are the pics, they wouldnt upload with the text -.-

SAM_0360.JPG

SAM_0361.JPG

SAM_0362.JPG

SAM_0363.JPG

galacticprobe

Mar 19, 2013, 02:57 pm #21 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2013, 02:57 pm by galacticprobe
That last photo looks a bit like my console at the moment. Actually, it looks better than mine; at least yours is on a table. All of mine is still in boxes in various parts of the house, waiting for my back to behave itself long enough for it to let me actually do something without ending up in the Naval Hospital's ER!

Grrrr. >:(

I like how you've built your levers. What sort of metal did you use? (It looks thinner than what others have used.) And I'm guessing the flower pot is for that bit, with the brass rings/dials under the column?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

BioDoctor900

Well it's now off the table and back in a box, we were just sorting through.

The metal was some sheet metal that was at college, made them there. And the flower pot is actually for the top of the column.

We are planing to paint the summer house we have for it and start work on the butresses in a few weeks, I wish it could be sooner, but afraid not -.-

BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

Mar 23, 2013, 03:29 pm #23 Last Edit: Mar 23, 2013, 03:29 pm by galacticprobe
Not to worry, BioDoc... Good things take time. I'm sure that when you're done with this it will be a thing of beauty.

Dino.

BioDoctor900

BUILDING HAS COMMENCED!!! :D

Yesterday 4 sheets of MDF turned up and today I've made the bones of the console

I was quite surprised at how many buttress sides I could get out of one 8x4 sheet, I got 8, which created 4 buttresses

Im a bit unsure whether I've made the angle of them right, but I think it might be that I haven't got the rim around it yet, or maybe I've cut it wrong or, im just sceptical

Anyway, here are some pics, tell me what you think

BioDoctor900

Mar 29, 2013, 06:49 pm #25 Last Edit: Mar 29, 2013, 06:53 pm by BioDoctor900
P1060397.JPG

P1060398.JPG

P1060399.JPG

P1060400.JPG

P1060401.JPG

P1060402.JPG

P1060403.JPG

More Soon

BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

Mar 29, 2013, 08:21 pm #26 Last Edit: Mar 29, 2013, 08:21 pm by galacticprobe
That's looking pretty darned good so far! (It might even be giving me a few ideas.) I like that flower pot at the top of the column. It certainly has the right shape for that "bee hive"... thingy.

Looking forward to more updates! (And we can add another one to the ENVY! list. ;) ;D)

Dino.

BioDoctor900

Small update, forgot to put these pics on, just me being a jammy sod, while shopping for console parts found these

SAM_0381.JPG

SAM_0382.JPG

So now got to create the rim around the top, not bad for £1.29 ;) still got work to do on the console;

- Buy Time Rotor
- Buy 4 Perspex Panels
- Buy Two Metal Mesh Panels
- Buy Large Bubble Wrap for Panel
- Create 'Rim' for Console
- Buy Raspberry Pi
- Buy Sextant
- Make Demat/Remat Lever
- Create Cardboard Roundels for walls
- Get Wood for Possible TARDIS Doors
- Get Yale Lock, Handles, Sign and PTO Sign for Possible TARDIS Doors
......and a lot more, so far I think I've just about scratched the surface, the problem is it's going slow as its at my friends and therefore have limited times to go there and build, including limited money at the moment due to a few upcoming cons

Anyway hopefully more soon

BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

Apr 06, 2013, 05:34 am #28 Last Edit: Apr 06, 2013, 05:44 am by galacticprobe
If you do an ebay search for word combinations of 'bubble globe glass paper weight' (or sometimes "paperweight") you can sometimes find those for low prices - far less than you might find them for in antiques places, and that includes shipping. Second-hand shops are also a good place to find those, though like with antique places the choice of globe color is limited. Occasionally you will get lucky in antique places and find one of the right color and size at a price that makes you say "I've already got one of these, but I just cannot pass this bargain up!" I've seen ones on ebay in varying shades of green, amber/orange, and so-orange-it's-nearly-red, and of course clear, all of which have been seen on the console at one time or another. (There is that one odd globe on one of the panels that is clear and has just one large orange-ish bubble in it, with a greenish swirly ring; that one is going to be difficult to match.)

You can find quite a few bits of this console on the cheap on ebay, so long as you know roughly the name of what you're looking for. Fluorescent tube sleeves on different diameters are really inexpensive and would work great for the central column's innards, but if you're looking for something a little sturdier, Tap Plastics has tubes with 1/8th inch thick walls, and at the small diameter of the innards' tubes they're only a few dollars (US). Tap Plastics also sells discs you can use with the tubes for a sturdy rotor mechanism, and they're pretty inexpensive as well.

Anyway, I hope some of this blithering is helpful.

Dino.

BioDoctor900

Cheers Dino, that does come in handy. Just a case of having the money, with the convention coming up in 6 or so weeks i need just over £200 for it. Im hoping to get some perspex panels soon and am still deciding on the best way in which to top the buttresses, either with wood or with chicken wire and modroc, i have a few pics to upload, but theyre on my mates camera, so will do that in the next week or so, want peoples opinion on what they think :) its always nice to have a second or in this case many opinions :)

More Soon

BioDoctor900