Apr 20, 2024, 09:33 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Warmcanofcoke's Tom Yardley Jones TARDIS

Started by warmcanofcoke, Jun 12, 2012, 10:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Feb 03, 2013, 05:58 am #61 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2013, 05:58 am by galacticprobe
Really great work so far, Nate! I'm looking forward to seeing this lamp when it's done.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Boy-Howdy!  I am with Dino
It is coming along beautifully Nate you should be very pleased :)

It looks great now, but once it is blue and flashy- :o

Keep up the good work

M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

warmcanofcoke

I will, :D thank you both for the awesome comments and support. I need to find a pipe cutter in the basement so I can cut the Brass tubes so I can cover the threaded bars. Somewhere I have some wood puddy to fill in the ruff edges of the cut - but you get the idea.

superrichi1a

There is something strangely addictive about watching the creation of a TARDIS lamp! I cheated on my own build, used a shop-bought outdoor lamp, but I really do think there is something much more sturdy, perhaps stronger looking, about the scratch-built lamps of most of the classic-era boxes. Your's looks very neat and lovingly made! ;)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

warmcanofcoke

Feb 05, 2013, 12:31 am #65 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2013, 10:31 pm by warmcanofcoke
Found the Pipe Cutter.
IMG_3402A_zps0b9dee02.jpg
I measured out the length of the brass tubes.
IMG_3403A_zpsdfc2da92.jpg
Occasionally I found the 9/32 of an inch / 7.14mm tubes to be a snug fit on the 1/4 " thread rods, so I used a pair of pliers to hold the rods. So that I didn't damage the screw thread I used some wood to help hold the rods. This let me keep the rods steady and I twisted/screwed the tubes into place.
IMG_3405A_zps67c4adc8.jpg
I left about an inch of rod on the bottom of the beacon so I can attach the beacon to a base plate in the future.
IMG_3407A_zps2f2d4996.jpg
Washers.
IMG_3408A_zps2b36c670.jpg
covered the threads of the rods with masking tape.
IMG_3409A_zpse55b823e.jpg
IMG_3410A_zps450da9c2.jpg

and the re-paint
IMG_3414A_zpsb981713d.jpg

warmcanofcoke

Feb 06, 2013, 01:53 am #66 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2013, 04:34 am by warmcanofcoke
After Painting - I used my table saw to cut off the excess portions of the threaded rods. then I put on a grinder bit on a my drill and smoothed off the jagged edges.
IMG_3416A_zps15186eac.jpg
IMG_3417A_zps12d6724d.jpg
Here is a test fitting of the crown for my beacon.
IMG_3423A_zps236b936b.jpg
IMG_3424A_zpsaf8058ef.jpg
Now I just need to find some screws. - I think it is coming along nicely.

IMG_3429A_zps0add6c98.jpg
IMG_3432A_zpsffde8b1c.jpg
IMG_3426A_zps63e9b163.jpg
Nathan

galacticprobe

Feb 06, 2013, 02:19 am #67 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2013, 02:20 am by galacticprobe
Looking really great! Getting better and better, Nate! Beautiful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Thanks Man.  ;) soon I'll have to finalize my shopping list for the next phase.

Rassilons Rod

Lovely job. Wish I had one. As it is, I might have to repurchase a fresnel at some point :/
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Theta Sigma

Awesome job!  Reminds me of the one I made!  Unfortunately, I never finished the full sized box to go underneath it!
"I just put 1.795372 & 2.204628 together." - 4th Doctor

Kingpin

It's a work of art, very clean and crisp... it'll look great once it's topping a Police Box. :)

warmcanofcoke

I've found some nice white plastic to put behind my top signs.
IMG_3440A_zps3277edd6.jpg
just measuring now.

warmcanofcoke

Feb 17, 2013, 06:30 pm #73 Last Edit: Feb 17, 2013, 09:22 pm by deck5
well that was most satisfactory.

I have just cut some white plastic sheets to put behind my Top Signs.

Here we see the signs without the white filter plastic on a green floor.
IMG_3449A_zpsad641976.jpg

And here we see the signs with the White filter plastic. (in the picture the reflection of the wires from the overhead lights can be seen * not scratches on the sign.)
IMG_3450A_zpsf7bdca49.jpg

Here we see the signs up against the window to let light through the signs. On the left we see the effect of what light coming through from the inside of the box will look like. On the right we see the effect of what it would be like if we were inside the box looking out.
IMG_3452A_zps2576a2e7.jpg

warmcanofcoke

Feb 28, 2013, 09:14 pm #74 Last Edit: Mar 15, 2014, 12:02 pm by warmcanofcoke
Minor Update : went to the local Home Despot and purchased $88 worth of supplies -  Interesting to note it doesn't look like much. I have often read Posts where new members have asked the question "How much does it cost?" I'm trying to keep a running tally - It is not that you can't build it less expensively and price does not denote build quality. Just curious what the end cost will be.

I purchased some 1/4" nuts (for another project), 1/4" washers (for another project), Some Brass Screws(for another project), some Handles (for another project - possibly for an RDS and a K9), Some wing Nuts for my Police Box Beacon, 4 lbs Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty (wood putty), and about $60 in Wood for the corner posts. (stored temporarily in one of my attic lofts.)
IMG_3657A_zps83ed0303.jpg
IMG_3661A_zpscc3f0df4.jpg
(Looks like One of the boards is cracked - I may have to go and replace it. I'm sure it will still work its way into the build somewhere.)
IMG_3660A_zps4aca72cc.jpg
Each board is about (but not exactly) 4.5" wide.
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4382.0

I believe the competing hardware store Lowes allows you to use paypal .... I do have some credit there - time to get some quarter rounds and some wood glue.

*edit - OK I've discovered Home Depot accepts paypal - however I know someone at Lowes who will let me use their discount ...