Apr 18, 2024, 10:39 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Warmcanofcoke's Tom Yardley Jones TARDIS

Started by warmcanofcoke, Jun 12, 2012, 10:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Dec 03, 2012, 05:37 am #15 Last Edit: Dec 03, 2012, 12:53 pm by warmcanofcoke
One of these will be for my Tardis - One will be for my friend's Tardis (he owns a comic book store)
IMG_0056A.jpg
IMG_0057A.jpg
IMG_0058A.jpg
These three are probably the best out of the bunch.

I'll probably remove the stencil letters and spray paint some white paint across the back.

*edit - Now that I have discovered Montana Black, I will never use another spray paint, on any of my projects ever again. This is the best paint ever!
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

Dec 04, 2012, 06:11 pm #16 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2013, 04:18 pm by warmcanofcoke
Well 38 years ago today at 11:15pm I came into the world - on the Chinese Zodiac my mother was a Metal Tiger and I am a wood tiger - This year I'll be shooting for a Fire Tiger - So that means I'll be 26 .... again.  :P ;D ;)

I'm about ready to cut my top signs. Just hooked up my table saw with a PVC cutting blade.
Judging by lespaceplie fantastic plans http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2299.0 http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3180.msg35533#msg35533
tardisplans.jpg
and taking a gander at liz79's http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1988 plans from the BBC 290247_10150267780393722_4259761_o.jpg

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=-748;topic=1988.0;attach=17406;image

I'm guessing that the Top Signs are about 44" x 6" (say, cut off 1/4" off each side) - 43.5" x 5.5"

Does this sound about right?

IMG_1565.jpg

Edit: new info
Quote from: Scarfwearer on Dec 12, 2012, 02:04 am
According to Anthony Sibley's TARDIS history at Glen's TARDIS Library, the TYJ bevels have a 21° angle.

Crispin

warmcanofcoke

Well, I've made the measurements - but it looks like the skies have opened up  and it has begun to rain. So I will probably have to make the cuts on another day.

Madouc

Hello  :)

As a metric-system-user noob, can I ask a noob question, please? Is the unit you use on these plans (noted " ) inches or something like that?

Thankyoo  :-*
Je suis le Docteur! Je suis pire que n'importe quelle tatie!

Scarfwearer

Yes. 6" means 6 inches. 1 inch = 2.54cm (so about 15cm).
6' means 6 foot (plural 'feet'). 1 foot = 30.48cm

The Americans use imperial measure. The French use metric. The British use both - we're supposed to have been going metric for about 50 years, but we're really dragging our feet... :)

Crispin

Madouc

As long as we drive on the good (right?  ;)  ) side of the road in each country, I won't blame anyone for that  ;D

And thank you  :)
Je suis le Docteur! Je suis pire que n'importe quelle tatie!

galacticprobe

Dec 05, 2012, 09:42 pm #21 Last Edit: Dec 05, 2012, 09:43 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Scarfwearer on Dec 05, 2012, 01:57 pm
The Americans use imperial measure. The French use metric. The British use both - we're supposed to have been going metric for about 50 years, but we're really dragging our feet... :)

When I was in school back in the 1960s, they drilled the metric system into our heads because they said the US was switching to metric, and that by the time "we" were adults there would be no more feet and inches, only millimeters, centimeters, etc.

I guess that means we're also really dragging our feet, or I'm not an adult yet. (I go for the latter! ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Dec 07, 2012, 08:12 pm #22 Last Edit: Dec 07, 2012, 08:29 pm by warmcanofcoke
A moment of Zen

Just watched some Top Gear. (the view from my Seat in the Library)
IMG_0103A.jpg
IMG_0104A.jpg
and then went outside and cut 12 Top Sign sheets of clear plastic. (Just in case I Coke-it-Up.)
Notice the almost Yoga like moves.
IMG_0105A.jpg
IMG_0106A.jpg
No message is associated with this attachment.
IMG_0108AB.jpg
(scrap wood in the back. - not for use in the Tardis.)

warmcanofcoke

Dec 08, 2012, 02:07 am #23 Last Edit: Dec 08, 2012, 02:17 am by warmcanofcoke
Started prep work
Have printed out several sets of Top Sign Letter templates. (seen here laying on some fabric for another project of some kind...)
Getting ready to cut out the letters for the signs.
IMG_0110A.jpg
and Was about to Make the reverse sign to put on the other side of the clear plastic when I realized I've run out of packing tape  ::)
IMG_0111A.jpg
I'll go hunt around ans see if I still have a roll somewhere.

warmcanofcoke

I've just started work on Top Signs.
IMG_0117A.jpg
IMG_0115A.jpg
I intend to overlay a new clear sign over the last one that I've done and just use it as a template to attach the next set of letters. Hopefully it will work in series.
IMG_0116A.jpg

warmcanofcoke

museumdave

Looking great Nate, :o

this is very exciting to see you make such great moves on this.

We really should look at getting together some time I bet we help each other out- not that you look to need it.

Keep it up.

Cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

warmcanofcoke

Thank you for the kind words. I'd love to get together some time and work on Tardis stuff. That would be awesome.  ;)

warmcanofcoke

IMG_0122A.jpg
IMG_0123A.jpg
IMG_0124A.jpg
IMG_0125A.jpg
IMG_0126A.jpg
And then, to the second .... water fell from the trees right on to the signs.  >:(
IMG_0127A.jpg
I have a heater focused on the signs in the attic. Hopeful the first coat won't be too badly effected.

warmcanofcoke

It didn't turn out too badly.  ;D
I'll add a second coat on another day.

IMG_0128A.jpg
IMG_0129A.jpg
IMG_0130A.jpg