Mar 29, 2024, 05:23 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Warmcanofcoke's Tom Yardley Jones TARDIS

Started by warmcanofcoke, Jun 12, 2012, 10:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Jun 12, 2012, 10:01 pm Last Edit: Jul 20, 2017, 03:46 pm by warmcanofcoke
Many of you may have seen I've been collecting pieces for a Tardis console room elsewhere on this forum. To add to the confusion I am also squirreling away bits for the outside of the TARDIS as well. It is my intention to build a Tom Yardley Jones Police Box. like this:
season19Tardis.jpg
doorsignsm.jpg
here are some of the parts I've managed to collect
IMG_2858.jpg
IMG_2859.jpg
Nautical Ship Light and a sample of the frosted plastic I intend to use for the windows (I have much more)
here is the story of how I came into possession of the Fresnel Lens: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3028.msg32855#msg32855
IMG_2857.jpg
300661_10150284676303722_3393567_n.jpg302014_10150284676548722_6315199_n.jpg303910_10150284676593722_722196_n.jpg317353_10150284676378722_193019_n.jpg
Vintage Yale Locks, A plastic dome light for the top of the beacon, and
A variety of sash handles - not quite right - but as close as I could find ... Scarfwearer was able to find some nice ones in England from Wickes http://www.wickes.co.uk/bow-pull-handle/invt/188004/ - but they don't ship to the US so I've had to resort to ebay ....

for the lamp housing I have these:
DSC08972.jpg
DSC08971.jpg
1/4 inch thread screw rods, bolts and a 9/32 brass tube it can fit into.(*also a bonus lock)

hopefully I have enough acrylic to make some signs
IMG_1127A.jpg
I have some more (*not pictured)

Top Signs here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=305
Door Signs here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=306.0
Plans here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2299.0

Updated Plans here: http://doctorwhoscarf.com/drwho/s18dev.pdf

PoliceTelephoneCII.jpg

Timerotor has divined the paintjob for the season 18 Tardis - (this may not be the paint I will use but it is good to keep in mind)
Quote from: timerotor on Dec 29, 2010, 01:31 pm
gladly!
I am using about four or five different paints, which are commercially available in the U.K
The first Blue is quite light, its Dulux 'Lost Lake' - this is the only layer which I apply in full with a rag roller its the Base colour.
Then, using a cloth or kitchen paper apply a patches (not a layer) of Crown 'Ballgown' - which is wiped off again in places to leave a patchy warmer darker blue. This makes is look how it appeared on Brighton Beach in 'The Leisure Hive'.
Next I accent it in places such as corners and the windows with Crown Trade N3122R -which is a more grey green blue like the Colin Baker era, and then I do the same in other places of wear with Dulux 'Peacock Blue' and the same with Dulux 'Azure Fusion 1' - which is very dark green/blue as seen in 'The twin Dilema' and 'The Two Doctors'
Finally I apply Kiwi Instant black shoe polish and wipe it away almost as quickly as it goes on!
I then use some of the accent colours to brighten areas which are too dark for season 18! My Stories of reference are 'Full Circle' and 'Warriors Gate'! TADHAH!!! (shoe polish on the windows too) I'm trying to get it as authentic/accurate looking as I can for the real thing!
Cheers
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

deck5

Jun 12, 2012, 11:11 pm #1 Last Edit: Jun 12, 2012, 11:12 pm by deck5
That's a nice old Yale lock + cylinders.  The Fresnel looks quite a bit like the one I got.

warmcanofcoke

thank you for saying so - you have a magnificent lamp for your TARDIS. Love your build btw.

deck5

Jun 13, 2012, 01:11 am #3 Last Edit: Jun 13, 2012, 01:22 am by deck5
Thanks.  You officially have a better lock than I do. :)

warmcanofcoke

I'm worried that it will stay locked when I close the door - better not leave the Key inside then  :P

deck5

Do what I did, have copies made.

warmcanofcoke

Scarfwearer

The combination of night latch and door closer can catch people out pretty easily, as they do lock by themselves, but that's pretty handy in the city.

All the night latches I've seen have a reversible catch, which you'll need if you want the keyhole mounted on the door and the door to swing inwards. You might want to check your latch will do that before you drill the lock hole. It's probably fine, but worth a look...

Crispin

warmcanofcoke

thank you that is great advice  :D - I probably wouldn't have thought of that - I'll be sure to check.

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: deck5 on Jun 13, 2012, 01:41 am
Do what I did, have copies made.

In the cubby hole behind the "P" ;)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

Nov 30, 2012, 11:16 pm #10 Last Edit: Dec 02, 2012, 12:50 am by warmcanofcoke
Many of you may have been following this thread : http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3938.30
Trying to make the Pull To Open Sign I want.

I have found the paint I want to use for all my signs.
It sprays on thick and easy.
Found it at a franchise called The Art Store.
IMG_0033A.jpg
IMG_0034A.jpg
I did a test spray - (it matches the one I did before but it has those tones of almost purple I was looking for.)
IMG_0035AA.jpg
(Above: Night time in a lit room)
IMG_0036A.jpg
(Above: Day time with natural light through the window)

I'll be making a new Pull to Open sign soon.

kalarcana

Did you reverse stencil and paint the back of the plexiglass?

Rick

warmcanofcoke

Dec 01, 2012, 07:45 am #12 Last Edit: Dec 02, 2012, 12:57 am by warmcanofcoke
Yes. That was the method I used on the two right signs - I'm not a fan of the result - so I'm returning to my previous method. I'll cut out each individual letter - I'll stick it to the back of the plastic and spray paint it.

galacticprobe

Dec 02, 2012, 04:28 pm #13 Last Edit: Dec 02, 2012, 04:29 pm by galacticprobe
Nate, you must have the patience of a saint for you to do all of that cutting of letters, then lining them up so everything is perfect. And it shows! (That's also a heck of a lot of letter cutting you've been doing! :o)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Dec 03, 2012, 02:06 am #14 Last Edit: Dec 03, 2012, 02:44 am by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: galacticprobe on Dec 02, 2012, 04:28 pm
Nate, you must have the patience of a saint for you to do all of that cutting of letters, then lining them up so everything is perfect. And it shows! (That's also a heck of a lot of letter cutting you've been doing! :o)

Dino.

Thanks man - I may not have thought of it that way before.

IMG_0051A.jpg
IMG_0052A.jpg
IMG_0053A.jpg

just about ready for paint.

IMG_0054A.jpg
IMG_0055A.jpg

using my photography lighting rig to aid drying time.