News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tennant Swirly Tie

Started by museumdave, Jun 12, 2012, 04:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

museumdave

Jun 12, 2012, 04:51 pm Last Edit: Jun 12, 2012, 05:00 pm by museumdave
Hello All,

I know that other forums do this sort of thing more than the tardis builders, but I have seen other costume posts here, and thought I would share this. It is not a complex or clever build in anyway, or even a complete costume, but it is a start.  

I started with as plain a brown tie as I could find at the local charity shop. It does have a texture to it that I thought would add interest, but in the end made painting the tie much more challenging.tie.jpgtie2.jpg

I found a good reference photo for the tie I wanted to recreate and mixed some paint to give the pattern.tie+paint.jpg
tie+paint2.jpg

I had some trouble getting a crisp line over the textured areas of the tie, and may go back and try to tidy this up.

tie+paint3.jpgtie+paint4.jpg
Not too bad I think, but I have had an additional thought.  I do have a pinstripped suit, but it is not brown with blue stripes it is a black with grey stripes.  So the thought is to remake the tie, which I like the pattern of- on a black tie with blue grey paint so that it goes with the suit, but has a DW inspired feel to it.

any how thanks for looking

Cheers

M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

warmcanofcoke

very cool - there are also fabric paints that may make your life easier - they can be found at Joann's and possibly other locations - still I have to admit the tie looks good.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Rassilons Rod

good job :)

The other thing you can do with fabric paint is if you print your pattern (Left/right reversed) on to some sticky backed plastic, you can use it as a mask to make the edges just that little bit sharper. One of my exes used to do that with t-shirts and I have one that she made in 2004 that still looks awesome :)

I'd post a photo, but it's waaaay off topic. :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

You can never wash that tie ever again. ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Jun 13, 2012, 05:22 am #4 Last Edit: Jun 13, 2012, 05:22 am by galacticprobe
Love the tie! Fantastic effort to get the pattern and lines to precise. (I know someone who actually used a fine-point fabric paint pen  to draw himself a Series 5 11th Doctor navy version of the wavy line pattern on a second-hand shop pale grey shirt! He advised against doing this as once you start, you can't stop, and he developed carpal tunnel syndrome from all of the pressure on his wrist to get the lines smooth.)

Fabric paint, for when redoing the tie in the black and blue-grey motif, would allow the tie to be washed. And fabric paint moves with the fabric; it's washable, has more give than a latex paint, and it won't crack like an acrylic.

As for costume posts, well, not everyone here belongs to costume forums, and I'm sure that when a topic such as this comes along every so often they're happy to see it and get ideas from it.

After all, what is a costume, really? It's a prop that's made from fabric.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Aug 11, 2012, 10:59 pm #5 Last Edit: Aug 11, 2012, 11:00 pm by museumdave
Hey All,

Not a big or impressive thing, but I thought I would update all the same. There are some truly impressive costume pieces and cosplay things on this site- THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM. What it is - is a charity shop costume like thing just for fun.  I found a quite nice suit (black with Grey stripes) at a local charity shop for $10 and some shoes (red) for $3... Fate seems to want me to dress like this. Although I am the first to admit that my body shape is less doctor number 10 and more, well more Absorbaloft, but it is all still in fun.

So thought I would share some photo- fun.

Cheers

Dave
suit.JPGsuit2.JPG
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Aug 12, 2012, 08:32 am #6 Last Edit: Aug 12, 2012, 08:32 am by galacticprobe
Not looking bad at all, Dave! Nowhere near an Absorbaloft. (My sister-in-law is more of that shape. And yes, my wife knows I say things like that. ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Sep 14, 2012, 03:26 pm #7 Last Edit: Sep 14, 2012, 03:39 pm by museumdave
Greatins all,

So I have ordered a tennant coat- Never really done the cosplay thing- if you don't count costumed museum interpretation...
But with a new coat on the way I wanted to have a nother go at this tie thing.  I found an inexpensive tie (polyester though ::)) and got some - yes actual fabric paint. What can I say you guys were Sooooo right. Between having the right kind of paint and a tie that isn't textured the second go went much better than the first!

I started with a fabric marker thinking that it might be good enough with out paint- Wrong! But this was okay, it gave me a guide for paintingnewtie.jpgnewtie+marker.jpg

So after having the marker on I just painted the sucker.  I only had a very small brush - and I didn't want to run back out and get a different one, once I had started, so it took a fairly long time, but I had much better control.
newtie+paint.jpg

The signature at the bottom is just a bit of fun.  I didn't want to stop and have plain brown tie at that point, but no one is likely to see it.- Being that it will be at the back while worn.  

shirt+tie.jpg
Any how- Not a big build or anything, But I am fairly happy with this one. IT is a good pattern and reasonably executed.  I actually wore it with a blue shirt and brown pants to work today.  My coworkers are not big sci-fi people. The subversive in me is revelling. It is sort of like dressing as batman into the office, but having no one notice.

tee hee hee

any how thanks for looking

Cheers

Dave

warmcanofcoke

Nice Tie  ;) Really coming along there.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

FloppyDiskNinja

Have an Idea, I have  :)
Have you tried dressing like that in fount of your console?
If so, Post images here ^
That looks like too much fun  ;D

-Lachie

museumdave

Sep 20, 2013, 07:59 pm #10 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2013, 08:06 pm by museumdave
Greetings fellow time travelers,
So for some time I have been keeping my eyes open for pieces to improve my Doctor 10 costume.  It seems to me that if I am building the console I should really have the outfit to go with it.

Some of you may also know that I have been significantly UNDER -employed for a year now, and money is not limitless.... :P

I would love to own a screen accurate costume , but it isn't in the cards right now. Also being aware that I mostly look like David Tennant, in that we both have noses.... if you know what I mean.

Having said that, at Christmas I was given a pair of red chucks and in early spring also got a pair of the white ones.  
Tuesday I was going through the town where I used to work and stopped by one of the charity shops I used to frequent.  

So I found a brown pin stripped suit that pretty well fits.  It is two button and needed a bit of alteration and needless to say the stripes are not blue- they are yellow.  But the spacing of the stripes are close to right and it scans well.

It seemed a little small, but the waste band fit and for a big $9 tax included I bought it.

suit new.jpg

So I un-hemmed (let down the pants ) they fit very well now.

And also let down the sleeves as much as possible.  I am looking at taking the breast pocket apart to make a flap for it, but it hasn't happened yet.

Also moved some buttons around and added a couple- more work will need to happen on this, but I think it will work as a costume....suit-pant letdown.jpgsuit-sleeve letdown.jpg

Still needs a bit of tidy up but here is the over all effect.

suit.jpgsuit2.jpg
Anyhow thanks for looking.

Cheers

Dave

galacticprobe

Sep 21, 2013, 04:38 am #11 Last Edit: Sep 21, 2013, 04:38 am by galacticprobe
Looks like a "close enough" winner to me, Dave! Especially for that price! Excellent find! (And the alterations you've done so far look FAB.)

Dino.

Senseidale

Looking good Dave, I have been looking for a shirt blue tenant type of course I did not is that you have a George shirt we have George at Adsa here so will go and have a look. All your gear looks good.
Thanks for the inspiration  :)
Dale
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"