Mar 29, 2024, 06:59 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1980s Galactic Star Charts

Started by warmcanofcoke, May 28, 2012, 07:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

13drwho

Jun 21, 2012, 09:32 pm #60 Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012, 09:42 pm by 13drwho
I'm not sure looking at it they look the same to me. If they're not the same the color difference is very, very small. I did the color check in Photoshop on this close up screen capture and the colors are very close. Take a look at this close up.

close up.jpg

galacticprobe

Jun 21, 2012, 11:29 pm #61 Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012, 11:30 pm by galacticprobe
In some spots the small circle looks darker than the ring around the large star field, and in other spots it looks a bit lighter, and yet in other spots it looks the same. So at this point it may be that we're dealing with the effects of the studio lighting, especially since the on-screen map is folded in many places and we never really get a good look at it completely flat. Even when the map is seen on the wall it's in part shadow, and in the background so it's not completely in focus.

We do have to be careful or we could start second-guessing this particular color, and then we could end up splitting hairs over it.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

13drwho

I think they when you take into account lighting, they are most likely the same color. I also think it looks better that way. It unifies the separate images to give a sense that it is a poster and not individual things slapped together. That's just my opinion.

galacticprobe

Jun 22, 2012, 06:53 am #63 Last Edit: Jun 22, 2012, 07:28 am by galacticprobe
It's a very sound opinion, sir, and I tend to agree.

Oh, and something I found startlingly interesting. Thanks to Netflix streaming, I've been watching 'Jason of Star Command' (ca. 1978). In the early episodes (the 15-minute ones with Jimmy Doohan - Scotty from 'Star Trek' - as the Commander), "Chapter 10", in the opening scenes, this exact same star map is mounted on Star Command's command center's wall! Every detail of the map is the same, and I do mean every detail: all 8 telescope circles have the same images in them! :o

So this star map was available at some point on both sides of the pond, and was around at least as early as 1978. It's amazing what you stumble across when you're trying to relive childhood memories!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

13drwho

I have found an online printing company that looks good. Being a custom poster the price per poster is high for a poster, but reasonable for custom printing. They have no minimum order, but the price gets cheaper the more you print. The prices of the posters are below (with quantities are below). This price does not include shipping. Shipping will depend largely on where you are. Since I am in the United States the shipping will be expensive outside the United States. I am setting up a group run on DWCOSPLAY. I know many of you are on there as well

Quantity         Price Per Poster
     6                     $24.40
     8                     $22.99
    10                    $22.23

Keep in mind I intend to buy two, so that makes the number of sign ups smaller. If I can't get people to sign up I'll print 2 or three on my own. Sign up on DWCOSPLAY if you're interested. 

warmcanofcoke

Jun 24, 2012, 01:21 am #65 Last Edit: Jun 24, 2012, 02:42 am by warmcanofcoke
Dino - I don't think it would be off topic to post an image from Jason of Star Command if it is the same poster

*edit - yep it is the same poster
Jasonstarmap.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqLTDm0Gqsw

*gawd that was horrible .... I want those moments of my life back
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Jun 24, 2012, 06:22 am #66 Last Edit: Jun 24, 2012, 06:25 am by galacticprobe
Nate, I would have posted the image if I could have captured it, but I just couldn't get it. And Jason is pointing at that (possible) Horsehead Nebula image that we've been discussing last.

(And I liked that show. Maybe because in the beginning it had James Doohan as the Commander, and later John Russell (Marshal Dan Troop from "Lawman") as the blue-skinned commander, but I liked it. Sort of still do.)

BTW, 13drwho, have you had the chance to try fitting that "L"-shaped Horsehead nebula into that circle? I think that was the last one on which we had questions about the image.

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

Great catch! :) I'm going to assume the grid was overlaid on transparency acetate or something.

I do find it interesting that (and I admit I'm only assuming they're still using it at a map) that they aren't pointing to a more abstract place on the star chart rather than a photo of a nebula :D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

13drwho

Here is a low resolution with the horse head nebula in the bottom middle right view. Take a look and let me know what you think.

1980StarMapupdate A post.jpg

galacticprobe

Jun 24, 2012, 10:47 pm #69 Last Edit: Jun 24, 2012, 10:48 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jun 24, 2012, 07:06 am
Great catch! :) I'm going to assume the grid was overlaid on transparency acetate or something.

I do find it interesting that (and I admit I'm only assuming they're still using it at a map) that they aren't pointing to a more abstract place on the star chart rather than a photo of a nebula :D

The chart is definitely behind some sort of grid lined plexi; you can see some reflection in it. And while Jason may be indeed pointing to some abstract location on the chart, in that image his fingers just happen to "look" like he was pointing at the circle whose image we were trying to figure out.

I'm still curious as to who produced the original, and what it was called, as it was obviously available in at least the US and UK between the late '70s and early-mid '80s.

And yes, 13drwho, I think that Horsehead Nebula (or Horse Head - seen it spelled both ways) in that circle does look about right with the image above where the 6th Doctor has the chart spread out across the console. I think you've really nailed it down this time! Well done!

Dino.

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jun 24, 2012, 06:22 am
Nate, I liked that show. Maybe because in the beginning it had James Doohan as the Commander, and later John Russell (Marshal Dan Troop from "Lawman") as the blue-skinned commander, but I liked it. Sort of still do.

Dino.

Sorry man didn't mean to offend - it has the music from the Star Trek Cartoon (nostalgic of my childhood), it has James Doohan (I have his Autograph), and Jason is dressed as Han Solo, but you have to to admit that alien princess in chapter 11 has chosen poorly on line delivery... "I ... Have...  heard... ...  of Ja-son of Star Comm-and ...."

galacticprobe

Jun 25, 2012, 03:28 pm #71 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2012, 05:28 am by galacticprobe
No offense taken, Nate! ;D And yes, I noticed that same music in several of those Saturday morning shows, not just 'Jason' and the animated 'Trek'. (I guess it was a cheap stock score with no copyright attached?) I did notice Jason's Han Solo outfit, and in the opening credits the narrator refers to him as a "soldier of fortune" - very Han Solo-like.

And that princess wasn't the only one to have a bad line delivery. There were quite a few throughout the series. But we have to remember this was intended for a much younger audience than some of me actually were! ;)

I never got James Doohan's autograph, but I do have a nice photo of him with my wife after she won 3rd Place in the "Horror" category as "Mara the Witch" (though she looked more like Samantha from the opening credits of the 'Bewitched' TV series). That was the Con where the MC (Dr. Madblood) had trouble finding a place to pin the ribbon on my wife because of her dress, and Doohan finally said loudly into his mic, in his Scottish brogue, "Gi' me that ribbon and I'll pin it on the lass!" much to everyone's cheering. (I think they just wanted to hear him say something like Scotty would.)

Back onto the Galactic Chart... Nate, were you going to update the dropbox link with this latest image?

Dino.

warmcanofcoke

13drwho has the latest image - I don't want to step on anybodies toes - but I could probably update the image with the Horse-head Nebula pretty easily ... but I believe Jason has this big group buy thing planed with DW_Cosplay - I have done a small amount of work on this project but I believe Jason has the "rights" - as it were.

I think the best thing to do is to ask if Jason minds me updating the image on my Dropbox.

So Jason, Would you mind it we had an updated image we could download? - or Alternatively would you mind if we updated the image for download after the group buy on DW_Cosplay? 

13drwho

Here is a link to the latest image. I had to reduce the resolution to 270 pixels per inch (from 300). At 300 hundred my computer couldn't handle it. It's 40.6 megabytes now.

http://pics.livejournal.com/13doctorwho/pic/0003ghqq

galacticprobe

Jun 26, 2012, 05:31 am #74 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2012, 05:32 am by galacticprobe
This has turned out to truly be a work of art! Well done to 13drwho, warmcanofcoke, and DoctorWho8 for bringing this beauty to life once again. Bravo, especially, to 13drwho for spearheading this one!

Dino.