Apr 19, 2024, 11:30 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1980s Galactic Star Charts

Started by warmcanofcoke, May 28, 2012, 07:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

13drwho

THe "black issue" was that it printed in stripes. I have looked closely at the file and I don't see anything wrong with the black it was the quality of the printing at Office Depot. As for changing the size, what are the pixel dimensions... inches depend on dot per inch and pixel sizes. I said in an earlier post that I would convert to CYMK if the printers asked for it.

How big is your modified file?

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

The thing with the original black is it would be more prone to streaks because of the type of printer they used for large format. They tend to be a grandiose inkjet printers.  And if the print heads aren't aligned right, it gives you the streaking.  Your best bet it to have it does as an offset printing job.  But since it will cost you upwards of $500 just to print 250, it's not feasible.  So you are kind of stuck with their large format printers.  Oh and yes the file size is huge because it's at full size and in CMYK color format (which means 4 color channels versus the 3 color channels in RGB). Pixel dims are 10875 X 7275.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

warmcanofcoke

Jun 20, 2012, 12:50 pm #48 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2012, 01:52 am by warmcanofcoke
small update
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86634631/1980StarMapupdatejune25th.jpg

50.6MB
(I recommend right clicking and saving the file to your desktop - it takes a while to load)
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Jun 21, 2012, 05:28 am #49 Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012, 05:30 am by galacticprobe
Now that is a beautiful chart! Great work, Nate (and Bill).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

I still think the 7th circle (bottom right center) has the wrong celestial body.

Rassilons Rod

Jun 21, 2012, 10:47 am #52 Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012, 10:50 am by rassilonsrod
It's really hard to see in the available images. Could it be one of these? I just put "Purple Nebula" into google...

Google Image Search

I think it could be this one, Which I think can be identified as "Orion nebula" here.
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

I'll see if I cant find another image of the chart - but I think it is interesting that that same nebula appears several times in a variety of orientations and color exposures on the same chart already.... you'd think if this were a production chart that the makers would have used a variety of nebulae and not just a couple..  :P Still thank you for your hard work it is appreciated.

galacticprobe

Jun 21, 2012, 12:11 pm #54 Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012, 12:41 pm by galacticprobe
I forgot to mention the great work that 13drwho has done by putting all of this together in the first place. (Many apologies, TheJason. My bad on that. :-[) This recreation is a true work of art and you deserve serious praise for it.

As for that image Nate mentioned, once he mentioned it I noticed he was right. So I scoured around until I found this:
HorseheadNebula02.jpg

I think with the right cropping this just about matches the image. It has that similar "L" shape to it, and it's got about the right pinkish coloring as well.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

That should be called the "Boot Nebula" or something :)
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jun 21, 2012, 02:55 pm #56 Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012, 03:17 pm by galacticprobe
It's actually a mid-res image of the Horse Head Nebula. Although, if you get a high-res image from Hubble, it looks like it should be named the Sasquatch Nebula:
HorseheadNebula.jpg     Smalfut.jpg
(Cropped to just show the Sasquatch shape of it.)                (The infamous image known all round the world,
                                                                              "mirrored" to show the similarities to the Nebula's shape.)

The image I posted earlier looks the closest to that pinkish "L"-shaped one in the bottom, middle right of the galactic map. I don't know why I didn't notice it earlier, but warmcanofcoke did. Hopefully the image of the Horse Head (or Horsehead) Nebula I posted earlier will fit the bill for that one. At that point I think we'll have nailed all of those small circled images to as close as we can possible get.

Dino.

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jun 21, 2012, 12:11 pm
I forgot to mention the great work that 13drwho has done by putting all of this together in the first place. (Many apologies, TheJason. My bad on that. :-[) This recreation is a true work of art and you deserve serious praise for it.
HorseheadNebula02.jpg

Dino.

well said. Jason has done some magnificent work here.

Also I think the horse head nebula is an inspired choice for the circle in question.

13drwho

Thank you for your kind words. Looking at the file I think the rings around the telescope views should be the same color as the ring around the main view.

warmcanofcoke

looking at the screen caps it looks like the telescope views are surrounded in a darker color - sort of grey