Mar 29, 2024, 09:32 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1980s Galactic Star Charts

Started by warmcanofcoke, May 28, 2012, 07:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

13drwho

Here are some updates. Take a look and let me know what you think.

TARDIS STAR CHART IMPROVED POST.jpg

galacticprobe

Jun 16, 2012, 06:31 am #31 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2012, 06:37 am by galacticprobe
Almost there! The top left-middle circle still looks a little "full" to me, again going by what I can see in the screen-used map. That little image looks more like this version of the Orion Nebula:
M42.jpg

And nothing against the Helix Nebula in the top right-most circle, but again on the screen-used map that nebula is positioned more like the Ring Nebula here, including the bright stars at about 8 and 9 o'clock:
RingNebula.jpg

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

13drwho

Here are the latest updates. I think we're really close. Thank you to all the people who found images of the peripheral views.Let me know what you think.

TARDIS STAR CHART IMPROVED POST.jpg

13drwho

Something about the chart was really bothering me. It was really close but something was off. I finally figured out what it was. It was the aspect ratio. The aspect ration needed to be poster size (24X36) but it wasn't. When I tried to figure out why I noticed that the center section didn't fit the page right. With a lot of work I now have that fixed. I think it is really, really close now. The file is 2592X1728 pixels, so its looking pretty good.

I have attached the low resolution so everyone can see. I am very happy with it and will try to get one printed to see how it looks. I'm thinking I will print it 18X24. For me that is a more manageable size (it's also more scale to my console) and I know the office supply place by my house can do a full color print that size.

Take a look and let me know what you think.TARDIS STAR CHART IMPROVED ASPECT RATIO POST.jpg

galacticprobe

Jun 17, 2012, 06:53 am #34 Last Edit: Jun 17, 2012, 07:07 am by galacticprobe
The only thing that still looks a bit off (again to my eye) is the small, bottom, middle left circle. It looks a bit too full and bright when compared to the on-screen map:
universalchart006.jpg
(Highlighted above)

I know this one has a bright star nearby, but it's got the right general shape and look to it:
NGC613.jpg
Maybe some careful manipulation to get this one into the circle can crop out that star?
(In case anyone is interested, that is Galaxy NGC 613 in the constellation Sculptor, a Class SBb spiral galaxy, 60 million light-years away... a little more than 2 minutes or so to get there in a Type-40.)

Other than that, I'm very eagerly awaiting a link to the full high-res image! This has really come to life and I think you've really nailed how it looks in the screen grabs. Bravo!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

13drwho

Here is the latest update. Take a look and let me know what you think.

TARDIS STAR CHART IMPROVED ASPECT RATIO POST.jpg

13drwho

I had a copy of this printed at Office Depot size 18X24. I have had other things printed there before but nothing with so much intense color. In short it's disappointing. The black is not even. The rest of the color isn't consistent or smooth either. Having printed it now, 18X24 is too small.

I am going to look around for a place that prints higher quality on poster size (24X36) and see what it costs. The image seems alright it's just the quality of the printing. I may see about organizing a group run on DWCOSPLAY (I don't think it's allowed here). I notice that the people that have shown an interest are on there too. The large file is 10 megabytes while the medium file is about 3.5 megabytes. If I find a printer I need to make sure I convert the file to the format they want. There are several types of color mode for a JPEG. The common one is RGB, but a Printing company I used years ago preferred CMYK.

I will look into it and let everyone know. Thank you.

galacticprobe

Jun 18, 2012, 06:50 am #37 Last Edit: Jun 18, 2012, 06:50 am by galacticprobe
That looks to be about as close to the original as we're going to get. Outstanding work on that! Sorry the printing didn't turn out as well as hoped, but there's got to be someplace that can print this. Have you looked into Kinko's? They claim to be able to print anything.

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

Jun 18, 2012, 07:46 am #38 Last Edit: Jun 18, 2012, 07:48 am by rassilonsrod
Quote from: ehekkert on Jun 15, 2012, 11:26 am
rassilonsrod, i'm quite sure you're wrong. I base this on the topic name saying it's a 1980's Galactic Star Chart and the picture you showed which was made with the Hubble telescope that was launched into orbit on the 24th of April 1990.

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jun 15, 2012, 11:55 am
yeah - but what are you gunna do - I don't mind a little extra resolution - not as though the nebula has changed all that much.

Well, for the purposes of this, I wanted to provide a larger image to work with. As Nate says, I doubt its changed all that much in the last 30 years.

EDIT: Yes, that ring nebula does look a bit closer, they are VERY similar though :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

13drwho

I have setup a post on DWCOSPLAY for a group run. I am currently looking for a place that will print a better copy for a reasonable price.  I have already had three people on DWCOSPLAY express an interest in a group run, so I will try to find a place this week.

Rassilons Rod

Really great work chaps :)

Is the resolution here limited by the forum or is this the resolution you have made it at? :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

13drwho

The resolution is limited by the site. The full resolution one is 10 megabytes. I posted the pixel size, but I don't have the file infront of me so I can't remember. There have been four or five people who expressed intrest in it on DWCOSPLAY already so I'm looking for a printing company. There are a ton of them out there, just have to find one.

13drwho

Here is a link to a full resolution copy on live journal. I made it "public" so everyone should have access. There was a lot of interest on DWCOSPLAY so I may still do a group run if anyone is interested.

http://pics.livejournal.com/13doctorwho/pic/0003cqy3

DoctorWho8

I went ahead and fixed the black issue.  It wasn't solid rich black, but a very dark gray.  It was about 10-15% lighter.  I also converted the color mode from RGB to CMYK (which is the color mode preferred for more professional color output).  And I blew it up to 24"X36" with a 1/8" bleed all around so it can bee printed on larger stock and trimmed down.  So here is the the link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65215981/1980StarMap.jpg
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Jun 19, 2012, 06:56 am #44 Last Edit: Jun 19, 2012, 06:57 am by galacticprobe
Good suffering Jehoshaphat, Bill! That thing is humongous!

Dino.