Mar 29, 2024, 08:45 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1980s Galactic Star Charts

Started by warmcanofcoke, May 28, 2012, 07:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

May 28, 2012, 07:39 pm Last Edit: Nov 17, 2016, 03:13 am by warmcanofcoke
Can this map be identified as something we can buy? Who made it, etc.
universalchart001.jpg
universalchart002.jpg
universalchart003.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

13drwho

I don't know, but it must be something they bought. A lot of props and set peices were found objects, and I image a star map is something they would have bought. I'll have to look for it.

13drwho

warmcanofcoke

May 29, 2012, 03:02 am #3 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:23 am by warmcanofcoke
doa' I was googling universe chart and weird things like that - never thought to google "map of the sky".
Thank you man  ;)

http://www.skymaps.com/store/cat10.html

galacticprobe

May 29, 2012, 05:21 am #4 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:24 am by galacticprobe
Interesting. Both versions of that map are less expensive from All Posters than they are from Amazon. I think some planetariums also still sell them so that's another source. (Not sure what planetariums are asking for those if they have them.) And of course there is always the old stand-by for finding things on the cheap: ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-x-36-Poster-Map-of-the-Sky-/190682056442?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c658946fa
(Price + shipping is about what All Posters is asking for just the poster. Several are available.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Map-of-Sky-Star-System-Constellations-27x39-Poster-/140753702409?pt=Art_Posters&hash=item20c5930e09
(This one is the same as the one in 13thdrwho's link, but price + shipping is much lower than Amazon.)

There may be more listings (using sky map or map of the sky as searches), but sky map turned up 625 hits just under "Buy It Now" and the above is on Page 4. (Map of the sky only turned up 37 hits.)

They are out there, though; you just have to think of where to look. There are other words to search under such as star chart, star map, and such, but it's late and I can't search through the rest right now.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

May 29, 2012, 10:35 am #5 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:15 am by warmcanofcoke
Thanks for the effort - Personally I like the charts Star Maps that have the the hemispherical grid overlay I think they look closer to the original.

*edit
or on closer inspection it is probably the ones without the hemispherical grid overlay .... :P ::)

Rassilons Rod

May 29, 2012, 12:43 pm #6 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:57 pm by rassilonsrod
I did some research on this one myself at one point. And afterwards, it turned out my ex's family had one on the wall in their apartment. I think it was also *ALMOST* the exact one...

I think that this might be a case of finding the picture that is the main part of it with the stars (I think there are a few with the same diagram) and then the nebulae that are represented on the outside of the poster, much like we do with the console components research.

Would be really cool to reconstruct this (presumably) out of print poster :)

It could be a case of getting a poster that is as near as damn it to the one in the show, scanning and photoshopping the colours...

I think that something like this:
http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Map_Sky-poster-l.jpg

With the contrast more like this:
http://www.compleatnaturalist.com/mall/BOOKS/map_of_the_sky_poster.htm

Interestingly, I think that the one in the top right might be the "Helix Nebula" (Mandragora, anyone? ;) :D)
Helix Nebula Google Search

The top two in the middle are galaxies, I think. This could be a really great project :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

13drwho

I was thinking the same thing. Scanning the poster that is closest and modifying it in photoshop. My biggest concern is removing the "night Sky view" text as it kills the illusion. I have photoshop and could do the work, but the poster is large and will probably have to be professionally scanned. As for printing, I know several office supply stores do 18X24 color printing. It's a little smaller than the original, but a reasonably good size. So does anyone think this is a good idea?

warmcanofcoke

Great minds think alike  ;D I was planning something similar - Stage 1 buy a map and scan it Stage 2 go to the NASA archive and look for similar photos

warmcanofcoke

May 29, 2012, 06:07 pm #9 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:09 pm by warmcanofcoke
we could have it printed on to cloth - upload the image to Spoonflower and then have a high quality boject we won't crinkle or tare. An object we could go to conventions with or just hang on our wall.

13drwho

I found a very high resolution desktop background that is pretty close. It's already digital, so it will eliminate buying the map and paying to have it scanned. The image is 3000X2238 (pixels) that makes it a 2.29 Megabyte file. This bad boy will be gorgeous with a little work. I have attached a small thumbnail of it so you can get an idea.

Wallpaper-star-chart-map-stars-galaxy-300x223.jpg

13drwho

This is actually kind of a fun project. Here is what I've done. It's not a hundred percent screen accurate, but I think it's pretty freaking cool (especially for 45 minutes of work)! I have attached a low resolution image so you could get an idea. The full size file is 3240X2016 pixels. All my adjusting didn't effect the detail of the text. I think it's going to look really cool printed out. I like the spoonflower idea, maybe we could get a group run going. Take a look and let me know what you think.

TARDIS STAR CHART post.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Hey, that's a great start, it's looking very good! :)

I would replace the image at the top right with one of these...

Helix Nebula (Click on the image on the page to get the full size version).
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

May 30, 2012, 01:23 pm #13 Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:44 pm by warmcanofcoke
here are some other images of the map from Timelash
universalchart004.jpg
The White ring around the sky bit looks like it has declination degrees on it.
universalchart005.jpg
universalchart006.jpg

there are not many good images of this thing ....

Rassilons Rod

Interesting... The milky way doesn't look so clear in these close ups...
Public Enema Number One.