Apr 20, 2024, 11:58 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Met Police Box Handouts

Started by hb88banzai, Aug 12, 2012, 12:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hb88banzai

Aug 12, 2012, 12:27 pm Last Edit: Sep 04, 2012, 08:38 am by Scarfwearer
Looks like the Met used the same graphics, text, etc., for the 1937 Ideal Home Exhibition (Mar-Apr 1937) as they did for their 1936 Radiolympia (Aug-Sep 1936) handout.

1937 Ideal Home Exhibition Brochure.jpg

olympia show.jpg

DoctorWho8

Probably went to the same print house and said, "Right just change the stuff at the bottom and keep everything else the same". It would make the most sense since there probably wasn't any changes to the booklet itself, so it would be a reprint job with just some type change on the cover.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

hb88banzai

Aug 12, 2012, 09:20 pm #2 Last Edit: Sep 05, 2012, 05:28 am by hb88banzai
Yes indeed, but it looks like they still had to do a whole new layup as all the components are in subtly different positions relative to each other.

It may also imply that the Transitional Mark 1 livery was still considered the current standard in early 1937. This may lend weight to the hypothesis that the Mark 2 came about as a result of (or at least in tandem with) the design and implementation of the Met PA2 Police Posts (and the accompanying PA350 GPO telephone system to support them) in late 1937 to early 1938. Note that this would be after the vast majority of Police Boxes had already been installed.

starcross

I thought people might like to know what the entire document looks like.
I found this hiding on page 156 of "From Rattle to Radio" by John Bunker.

There is enough information in this thread at this point to make accurate recreations.

7933064260_f3eeaa14f4_c.jpg

Mark

I bid on a copy of this. Missed it but still, my view is "If I don't win it, at least someone else had to pay more" lol.

Interesting to note that the "Police Public Call Box" legend is still in the "Times Roman" sort of font well into 1936/37 as opposed to the font we all love and know.

hb88banzai

Sep 05, 2012, 05:20 am #5 Last Edit: Sep 05, 2012, 05:28 am by hb88banzai
Likewise, I bid on the Ideal Home brochure, but it went for way too much money. Feel the same way  ;D

Yeah, the transitional Mark 1 is kind of a neat design being a blend of Mark's 1 and 2. Love to see what one looked like in colour.

chunkymuscles

If it's the one on ebay a few weeks ago, I won it.  I go a little crazy on ebay sometimes...  ::)  I might have to put photos of my little collection of original police box bits and bobs on here soon I think as it might be good for sign references, etc. 

hb88banzai

Oh yes, please do!

BTW - if you happen to have access to a scanner, a relatively high resolution (300-600dpi) of the front of that brochure would be very, very useful for research purposes as well.

Sorry to have bid it up on you - if I had known it was going to go that high, might have saved you a few pounds.