Mar 29, 2024, 05:41 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

BBC Studio Set circa 1984/7

Started by warmcanofcoke, May 12, 2012, 03:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

May 12, 2012, 03:15 am Last Edit: Aug 09, 2012, 09:36 pm by Scarfwearer
Just poking through the old DVD collection and found a few shots of interest.
makingof.jpg
makingof2.jpg
you get to see the top of the walls in this shot
makingof3.jpg
and in this shot you get a good view of the 5sided light up pyramid on the console.
makingof4.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

May 12, 2012, 06:32 am #1 Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:32 am by galacticprobe
I'm guessing at this stage they've pretty well fixed the shape of the console room. Having the trapezoidal wall columns doesn't allow for as much leeway with wall panel angle changes like the rounded wall columns did.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Great captures there, I love it! :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

May 15, 2012, 11:29 pm #3 Last Edit: Jul 22, 2017, 03:04 am by warmcanofcoke
dwm174_19.jpgdragonfire001.jpg
dragonfire002.jpg

galacticprobe

May 16, 2012, 06:24 am #4 Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:32 am by galacticprobe
With all the talk of the walls and pillars, has anyone noticed the power conduit still running from the console's base to the far wall? I think it's been there since at least the Pertwee era, maybe even earlier. (And how about that way-different hat stand?)

It's a shame they didn't go back to the 3-companion pattern like they did in the early Davison days. Mel could have stayed on and Glitz and Ace could have joined. That would have made for some interesting stories: Mel, the queen of screamers; Ace, the 'Let's smash everything, or blow it up' person who wasn't afraid of much; Glitz, the 'well, I didn't mean to start that trouble but it just seemed to happen; but since it has, maybe I can make a profit out of... well... maybe not, eh?' persona.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

markofrani

The power lead to the console has been there from the very beginning...

powerlead.jpg

action_mat

Bonnie Langford is seriously double jointed!  Look how her leg bends back on itself in that screenshot from Dragonfire :o  Or perhaps it's just over acting? ;D

galacticprobe

May 17, 2012, 05:45 am #7 Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:49 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: markofrani on May 16, 2012, 11:00 am

Oh, I realize that. But at some point it changed from the loose cables as in that Hartnell photo to the compact, rectangular conduit as in the "Dragonfire" photo. That conduit goes back to at least the Pertwee days, and I was just wondering if it came about even earlier.

Quote from: action_mat on May 16, 2012, 10:02 pm
Bonnie Langford is seriously double jointed!  Look how her leg bends back on itself in that screenshot from Dragonfire :o  Or perhaps it's just over acting? ;D

I would say that maybe it's just an odd camera angle coupled with the lighting, but that knee does look (almost painfully) hyperextended.

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: galacticprobe on May 17, 2012, 05:45 am
Quote from: markofrani on May 16, 2012, 11:00 am

Oh, I realize that. But at some point it changed from the loose cables as in that Hartnell photo to the compact, rectangular conduit as in the "Dragonfire" photo. That conduit goes back to at least the Pertwee days, and I was just wondering if it came about even earlier.

Having worked at the BBC I would suggest it's probably connected to health and safety. Though by the time I worked there, they would have had to put a ramp over it (or probably built it in a studio where wiring would have been under the floor).
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

just got the Greatest Show in the Galaxy DVD
greattardis002.jpg
greattardis003.jpg
greattardis004.jpg
greattardis006.jpg
greattardis007.jpg
greattardis008.jpg
greattardis009.jpg

Mark

They are brill shots.

I like this console and room probably because it was the one I mainly grew up with but probably more so because it was the most consistent from episode to episode.

Any one know when the piece of molding above the scanner was broken? Wonder if that appears on any tv shots?

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: Mark on Sep 06, 2012, 09:54 am
Any one know when the piece of molding above the scanner was broken? Wonder if that appears on any tv shots?

I don't know - It may have been damaged during this move - I believe there was some reason why they filmed in a tent In The Greatest Show in the Galaxy instead of one of the studios. I know that in Battlefield they had to make some walls for the background because the set didn't exist anymore. 

DoctorWho8

They filmed in the tent because of the asbestos issues going on at TV Centre, so no one could rehearse or film there.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

warmcanofcoke

Apr 15, 2013, 01:28 pm #13 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2013, 01:28 pm by warmcanofcoke
WarriorsoftheDeep_zps92e473b3.jpg
From the Warriors of the Deep dvd extra "The Depths"

Thanks to Rassilonsrod for pointing it out =D

rob49152

You know I did the opening animation on 'The Depths' and have never watched it :)