Apr 16, 2024, 03:56 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hybrid Model (prop later)

Started by lespaceplie, Oct 03, 2009, 08:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaceplie

Oct 03, 2009, 08:33 pm Last Edit: Jun 24, 2010, 04:54 pm by Scarfwearer
I've always wanted to do a fan video, and I might. In the meantime I've done a bit of a rethink on how to design and construct a 1:8 model and full size prop that is as authentic to a real box as possible while being more practical to build.

The result is derived from taking real dimensions (mostly Crich), scaling them down to fit the door height typical of a tv prop, rounding for practicality in materials and adjusting to give the illusion of solidness and depth (learned that from the Hudolin prop).

Here's a quick comparison (real box, tv props, mine):
hybrid.jpg

As I build the model, I'll also be creating a document for how to construct it. It's mostly basswood and designed to have the fewest cuts possible.

lespaceplie

Oct 24, 2009, 07:33 pm #1 Last Edit: Dec 29, 2009, 03:24 pm by scarfwearer
I've modified the plans slightly. Reaching the perfect intersection of realism, practicality and looking right required a modest effort, but the result is worth it.

I started the 1:8 build in basswood today. This model will have one inward opening door and lighting (top lamp and single interior light for the lintels and windows). The base will have some sort of mount in the center - maybe threaded to fit a tripod. This will make forced perspective shots very simple.

Here are some post parts being glued:

smbuild002.jpg

In the meantime I'll start the 1:16 polystyrene model - probably finish this one first. That's about as small as I can make one without needing to adjust the dims to fit standard materials. In fact, the only compromise is that the door panels will be slightly shallower.

Building a full-size prop is something that will have to wait. Oddly enough, I have a place to store a Tardis but not to build one.

lespaceplie

Could a mod move this thread for me? It's not virtual. It's a styrene sheet / wood model(s) project.

deck5

Oct 03, 2009, 10:16 pm #3 Last Edit: Jun 24, 2010, 04:53 pm by scarfwearer
I'd be interested in seeing the dimensions you're using; it's a nice looking hybrid.

lespaceplie

Oct 03, 2009, 10:58 pm #4 Last Edit: Jul 21, 2013, 03:08 pm by lespaceplie
Here they are as-is (more detail later):
http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/drwho/hybrid.pdf

The biggest difference between this and the tv props is the 3-stack roof, panel proportions and 3-strip detail under the lintel signs. I imagine it's also similar to Purple's build only a bit smaller. If anything seems a bit off, I'd say it looks a little narrow overall due to the 6" posts, but setting the doors deeper will counter this on screen.

Scarfwearer

lespaceplie

Nov 12, 2010, 12:40 am #6 Last Edit: Nov 12, 2010, 12:44 am by lespaceplie
It has been entirely too long since I worked on this project, but my old prediction has proven to be true - I'm going to complete the polystyrene 1:16 model first! Here is a shot of what I had last done. The detail goes to a very fine resolution. I have avoided bevels in this hybrid design and favored convenient dimensions that follow through both scale sizes and full size props. It's so teeny!

I will have to use a very thin paint or even ink to color this. I wouldn't want to reduce the details with a thick coat, but I do want to dirty the model down.

progress.jpg

hambone

Great start! Where do you get quarter-round that small!?
You're right, the paint will have to be thin or you'll loose the corners.

lespaceplie

I can't remember if it's Evergreen or Plastruct, but I get styrene sheet from a hobbytown.com retail store in Kennesaw, Georgia. Their basswood selection is also top notch - only bettered by ordering online.