The Jason's 13th Doctor Console (panel 1 remodel complete!!)

Started by 13drwho, Mar 13, 2012, 02:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

13drwho

I have primed the top side of the top section so far. This weekend I will paint it with the top coat of white. The paint hides a lot of my woodworking shortcomings. I think it's looking promising. After I paint it I will take the two base halves and the top section and secure them all together.

The step after that is to start the controls. The first thing I'll do is cut the panels that mount on the top frame. Below is a picture of the primed console top. Take a look and let me know what you think.

console progress, top first coat of primer topside.jpg

galacticprobe

May 18, 2012, 06:26 am #61 Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:28 am by galacticprobe
Un-fracking-believable! I think you're selling yourself short when you talk about your woodworking skills. (Remember all of the nicks and gouges you could see in close-ups of the actual props? And the gaps where the panels sat in the console frame?) Your top section looks absolutely fabulous and I bet it's got fewer imperfections than the actual Classic console props had!

There is that saying: you are your own worst critic. You'll always find some sort of imperfection somewhere. Don't let it get to you. You're doing a smashing job!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

whovian-almighty

That looks amazing mate! at it's current stage it reminds me of a mix between 4th Doctor's Console and 11th Doctor's Console :D I look forwards to seeing her getting her controls added :) will be intresting to see what things you shall be adding on her :)

So, all of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever will, where do you want to start?

museumdave

Looks great- Your woodworking seems good- but I know what you mean- paint is awesome!  It really helps to fill in gaps, cover rough wood grain, all that and more!
keep up the good work. 

Cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

13drwho

Thank you all for your support. I'm pretty proud of it, but I know there are a lot of things I wish were better. I'm confident when the lights, controls and time rotor are added the imperfections in the woodworking will not be noticed.

I have finished painting the top today and it looks pretty good. I will be setting it on the two base sections to get an idea how it will look, so pictures of that soon to come!! After that I will secure it all together and then it's on to the controls!

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

13drwho

I put the top on the two bases today just to see what it looks like before I secure it. It's looking really promising. I think it might just work!! Here are some pictures of it. The next step is to secure the three sections together with screws and latches so it can be taken apart for transport. Take a look and let me know what you think. (Please forgive the mess in the room, I have my TARDIS building stuff and Doctor Who toys everywhere).

Test fit base and top 1.jpgTest fit base and top 2.jpgTest fit base and top 3.jpg

rocket

Looks really good, and with the base that wide compared to the top, it should be very stable. Looking forward to seeing the fun stuff go on.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

13drwho

Thank you. I'm a little disappointed about the proportions, but I had limited space!!

13drwho

Tonight I tried to install the latches to connect the two base halves and they didn't work to well. I'm probably going back to my idea of four to six screws holding the base sections together. I should have trusted my instincts.

I clamped the base sections together and put in the screws that connect the top to the base sections. Since I don't plan to move it it's probably strong enough, but I'm still going to add the screws to clamp the bases together. No new pictures tonight... there's not much to show for my evening of work.

13drwho

Tonight I cut the first control surface panel. I will cut six of these and they will mount on the frame. All the controls and electronics will mount to these panels. I intend to paint them a medium grey to contrast the white of the rest of the console. Below is a picture of the first one laid on the console top to get an idea of how it will look. Take a look and let me know what you think.

console progress, controle surface template test fitted.jpg

galacticprobe

Jun 01, 2012, 07:05 am #71 Last Edit: Jun 01, 2012, 07:07 am by galacticprobe
That looks really great so far. I can't wait to see the controls start going on it. Your plan for the color scheme sounds great as well and I can envision it in my mind's eye. This can only get better.

How wide is the console? (I looked through the build and didn't see it mentioned, though I could have missed it.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

this is excellent! As Dino says can't wait to see the controls. I love the base, I like the underframe for the control panels. I like the sound of the color scheme. This is going to be a great console. Excited for you man. Keep up the good work.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

museumdave

I agree with warmcanofcoke- and well Dino too.  Not to be just 'ya me too' but I am thinking when painted grey and with the controls this is going to be a real beauty.  Looking forward to seeing it.

cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

13drwho

Jul 15, 2012, 12:11 am #74 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2012, 04:52 am by 13drwho
I'm BACK!!!

I was so far ahead of schedule on my console that I took a month break to work on some Batman and Halloween stuff, but I have been ramping back up on the console this month.

So far I have worked on some of the clunky levers that were very common on the classic consoles. I have four made and three more in process. Six of them have a working switch based on an idea I got off this forum. For two of them I bought fancy gear shift knobs to look more technical.

"fancy" levers
fancy levers.jpg

I have just finished cutting the six control surface panels. I put them on my TARDIS for a test fit and snapped a photograph. Take a look!!

Console
console progress, controle panels test fitted.jpg