Apr 19, 2024, 07:05 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

11th Doctor's Atom Accelerator

Started by eddyc, Mar 07, 2012, 12:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

eddyc

Here's it is, all painted up....

Still not happy, may go back for some more metal flake paint.

Hope your like it....

IMG_0382.JPG

galacticprobe

Jul 14, 2012, 10:19 pm #76 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2012, 10:22 pm by galacticprobe
Like it? I love it! It looks beautiful, and if you do go for the metal flake paint for those tips it will only get better (although it looks great just as it is now!). You've really made this little thing grow on me. Now I want one for myself. (I guess I'll have to start perusing the hobby and craft stores for large wooden balls, dowels, and then find one of my friends that has the right tools to help me turn one of these things out. The silvery parts won't look as good since I can't work with metal and it will all be painted wood, but I suppose I could carefully wrap those "arms" in metal foil to give them the right look.)

It will just sit on my coffee table, but I really want one now!

Eddy, you're incredible!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rocket

Looks like it came straight out of the Tardis, well done!
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

the mister

Rassilons Rod

I can see why you might want to repaint the pool ball. But that is a mere trifle. You have created a masterpiece and you should be justifiably proud :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

museumdave

This is wonderful.
I know I said it before, but your attention to detail is truly inspiring!

FANTASTIC!
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

eddyc

It's been a while....

I finally broke down and ordered a set of the gold valve caps(they don't make blue one's anymore)

The metal one's showed up yesterday and today I measured it up and made one out of plastic on the lathe.

Then I sprayed it with the new blue paint I picked up.

What do you think?

IMG_0475.JPG

Time to make a bunch more....

galacticprobe

Nov 07, 2012, 06:13 am #83 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2012, 06:14 am by galacticprobe
You made that blue one out of plastic?! :o :o :o It looks like the metal one! Bloody hell, Eddy; you're good!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

eddyc

Thanks Dino,

I took me about an hour to cut the plastic one out of an acyclic rod.

I still wasn't happy with it so last night I spent about a hour and a half to make one out of metal that is much closer and I can use it to make moulds for a bunch of the resin ones.

IMG_0476.JPG

On the left is the one I made using screen shots of the prop, before the valve caps were found.

Middle is the valve cap from a company in the UK.

On the right is the new master that I made. I gave my version a little twist.

I really have to finish this so I can get back to my other projects.

P.S. the paint is now called "Anodized Metal".  Back in the 80's it was called "Candy Colours" because the first colour was Candy Apple Red.

It's a transparent paint that you spray over a base of silver or aluminum. the more coats you spray on the darker it gets. It came in Red, Blue, Green, Yellow and Gold.

....more later
Eddy

galacticprobe

Nov 08, 2012, 06:32 pm #85 Last Edit: Nov 08, 2012, 06:32 pm by galacticprobe
Eddy, you've just confirmed my above statement even more. That metal one looks like it came from the factory that made the gold one! And I like the little twist on the ridges at the base - should give the "point" a better grip so it stays in place better when it's inserted into the silver shaft. Beautiful craftsmanship! I just can't think of how else to praise this skill of yours. To say you're exceedingly talented is a gross understatement.

Dino.

architect

speaking of this prop, has anyone noticed they used it in the last episode of red dwarf? can not remember the episode name but it was released last week.
Sincerely, and most appreciatively,
The Architect.
www.borgsteamfactory.com/contact.html

DoctorWho8

Yes, it's posted in another thread titled something like "Hey that thing on the console was in Red Dwarf!" ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Scarfwearer

Nov 09, 2012, 08:28 am #88 Last Edit: Nov 09, 2012, 08:36 am by Scarfwearer
You're literally two clicks away from this. :)
Follow the prop database entry: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=proplist;sa=show;id=53 in the header of this topic and there it is:

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2495;start=30#msgx46460

Crispin

architect

HA HA Now all I need to do is make one on my server to go with a bit of tardis theme  (not sure how on the standard tekkit one) and post another pic too :) they really do love that prop at the BBC and it is definitely very easy to spot. maybe they should do a contest on it some how :)

the build parts here by the way are quite amazing, I love the attention to detail :)
Sincerely, and most appreciatively,
The Architect.
www.borgsteamfactory.com/contact.html