Apr 19, 2024, 10:38 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Sheffield boxes

Started by domvar, Mar 04, 2012, 04:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

domvar

Mark

Dom, have you got the colour picture of the "skinny" Sheffield box?

I had it but no longer. I think it was taken around the 70's, possibly towards the Moor side of the town. Exact same design except, well er thinner.

I think if I remember right, this version only had the phone panel as opposed to the first aid door and both front windows were more square.

domvar

Not a colour one I have picks showing the two different depth boxes and the shed type from abeydale but not a thin width one

Shed

s15179.jpg

Thick and thin

thickandthin.jpg

Fitzallan Square
businessdesk__1296034339_police_box_Fitzalan_Square.jpg

domvar

Mark

Often wondered if the Abbeydale Road one was a predecessor.

I'd forggotton about this. The first picture is Sheffield Lane Top isn't it. This type was the massive version, longer than the Town Hall Box. Me and Ironageman had a long discussion as to wether that was in fact a chimney on the roof at the back of the box.

I think the Town Hall box was shortened depth wise to complement the Town Hall architecture but may be wrong.

The bottom one is the thin version. That's Attercliffe Road outside what I remember as Marcways model shop. It's all flooding back. :)

I'll try and remember where I got the front on colour one from. The box looks a bit shabby but interesting to see after being used to just the Town hall one.

domvar

It looks to me like the Lane Top one had a swan neck lamp like the Manchester boxes. 
The model shop is still there in amongst the take-aways and sex shops.

If your in town any time soon we should meet up for a beer and plan that trip to Crich

Mark

Ooooo, beer and Police Boxes. Good combination!

Next week either Wednesday or Thursday is good for me. I'll check what plans I have (Personally I have none but I'll check with the missus as to what plans I have :/) and PM you.

I think the colour one is from Ionage so I'll send him and email and ask nicely if he will post it.

As for the phone panel sign.....
plaque.jpg

domvar

Having been custodian of the box do you know what it is made from concrete or wood or both

Mark

The Town hall box is all wood. Well I say that as the panels look as though they are plastered over with something but everything else is, even the window frames.

I wouldn't go as far as custodian of the box but I have used it a few times and it has always been a part of my life. I remember as a small Doctor Who mad child driving past the box on the bus and being convinced it was a TARDIS because it had dematerialised. My mother told me to stop being silly and proved it to me next time we went to town about a month later as it was there plain to see

However I found out 25 years later that it had been taken away for restoration work about the time I mention which made me feel better that I hadn't imagined it all!

Also about 5 years ago, my brother through work, had to go and do some work on it (he's a carpenter) which amused him greatly.

domvar

Mar 11, 2012, 02:27 pm #9 Last Edit: Mar 11, 2012, 02:36 pm by domvar
367-1.jpg
v00316.jpg
s19088.jpgs20460.jpgs18416.jpgt00217.jpgs17156.jpgs18416.jpgs13950.jpg

cparrott

Nov 27, 2012, 08:50 pm #10 Last Edit: Nov 28, 2012, 07:48 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi all. I've just registered to tell you that I've been working out the locations of Sheffield boxes and I've compiled them into a map.
Far from complete, I'm sure. So if you know any I missed, or have interesting pictures not on this thread, do say!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=202697897935146912633.0004cf7ae4707d70480cc&msa=0

EDIT: Link fixed -- SW

Mark

Hi there.

Nice work, nice to be able to see them all on a map.

From first glance the one listed as Deep Lane, Low Shiregreen is way off!

To add to your list though I tried posting Google maps links but failed miserably, sorry  :( and I don't have time tonight so I will figure out some way of giving you links to a few more locations.

Out of interest, have you been to Sheffield Archive Library as there is a small file on Sheffields boxes including location maps?

domvar

I feel another meeting at the police box and surrounding boozers may be in order, what do you think Mark

Mark

Posted on: Today at 00:36:15 Posted by: domvar
Insert Quote
I feel another meeting at the police box and surrounding boozers may be in order, what do you think Mark

I think that is is what I was born for!  ;D

Hey Dom, you must know how I can put a link to a Google Map ?

There's a couple of good sites of Sheff Boxes I'd like to share where you can still make out exactly where they used to stand.

cparrott

Nov 28, 2012, 01:01 pm #14 Last Edit: Nov 28, 2012, 01:01 pm by cparrott
I can actually make the map collaborative so you can edit it, I'll work out how later for you as I'm currently not at my desk.

:)